Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #16
mee
Site Supporter

This presents a question I've never considered to ask... how to people with no right arm/hand use cameras? Steve McCurry's method works (I've tested it) but it is rather cumbersome since you have to put down the camera to make setting adjustments.

There is also this.. using a flash bracket and a remote A DSLR Hack for Left-Handers

But it would make more sense if camera manufacturers simply made a left handed shell for their cameras. I mean how hard is it to reverse the right handed design?

I wonder if ergonomics and human interaction will become a more important focus in the future.. just now realized how right-hand dominate the photography world currently is!!

02-22-2014, 11:53 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
With automatic weapons, it can be a problem. What do you do with the FN C1 that we were issued in the 1960's? it ejected to the right (left-hander ouch) but kicked to the left (right hander big bruised cheek unless you held it as tightly as a .... never mind). I hated that thing.
02-22-2014, 12:04 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm mostly ambi so it's not a major issues for me which side the shutter button is on, but I am definitely L eye dominant which causes me some problems sometimes. I'm totally mixed up on which side is my proper dominant side though. There are some things I can only do right handed, like writing, but then again there are some things I should be able to do if I was really R handed that I can't do except with my left, and there are things that I can and do flip from one to the other doing without even thinking about it. My mother swore not but I'm convinced that when I was a very little kid I was actually a lefty and someone trained me to be R handed and only half managed it...
02-22-2014, 03:40 PM   #19
Pentaxian

A relatively quick solution for a manufacturer, can be to make a battery grip with two shutter buttons, one each side. Or better, an L-shaped grip, which can have 3 shutter buttons, placed symmetrically to the usual ones.

02-22-2014, 04:06 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by infactimacat Quote
This might be a really stupid question, but how do left-handed peple use cameras?
Us lefties have no choice but to adapt to a right-handed world. As a result, we are more prone to accidents and have a shorter lifespan. BUT, because we are more creative than righties, we have more fun while we're still alive, so there's that.

---------- Post added 02-22-14 at 06:11 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by woodywesty Quote
We use cameras pretty much like right handed folks do with some individual adaptations. Those of us who are left handed have spent out lives adapting to a right handed world so its just another tool to learn. At least the camera won't hurt you while operating like power tools and weapons that eject out the right side......
I've never really had a problem using firearms, but I tend to be real careful using a Skil Saw!
02-22-2014, 04:42 PM   #21
Pentaxian

I'm left handed and left-eye dominant. I hold and operate the camera in the same manner as a right-handed/left-eye dominant person.

I find that changing lenses is particularly easy with Pentax - I operate the lens release button with a right-hand finger while grasping the camera, and hold and manipulate the lens with my left hand, which feels very natural.

- Craig
02-22-2014, 05:02 PM   #22
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I'm left handed and left-eye dominant. I hold and operate the camera in the same manner as a right-handed/left-eye dominant person.

I find that changing lenses is particularly easy with Pentax - I operate the lens release button with a right-hand finger while grasping the camera, and hold and manipulate the lens with my left hand, which feels very natural.

- Craig
I'm right handed mostly, and that's how I do it.
02-22-2014, 08:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
I didn't even know it was "a bit of a problem" until other people told me that it was...
I always thought it was an advantage.

The strong hand holds the camera and lens steady while the weakling one presses the button, which does not need much strength. Can support about 3.5kg of camera and stuff OK, but it is nicer to use the small lenses so the total load is just over 1kg.

02-23-2014, 09:20 PM   #24
mee
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimmyDranox Quote
A relatively quick solution for a manufacturer, can be to make a battery grip with two shutter buttons, one each side. Or better, an L-shaped grip, which can have 3 shutter buttons, placed symmetrically to the usual ones.

If the grip itself was modular in design and could be installed on either side.. that would work too.

Actually, I quite fancy that idea. A modular camera body with various sized and formed grips shaped for right and left sides respectively.
02-23-2014, 09:58 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Perhaps Ricoh would be open to that - it could be a new market.
02-23-2014, 10:08 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
If the grip itself was modular in design and could be installed on either side.. that would work too.

Actually, I quite fancy that idea. A modular camera body with various sized and formed grips shaped for right and left sides respectively.
I think the modular grip is a great idea.
02-24-2014, 09:43 AM   #27

I too am left handed and left eye dominant. The only problems I ever encounter is when I want to use rear AF button to focus with. Then my big fat nose seems to get in the way. I am slowly trying to use my right eye when I want to use the rear AF button.
03-01-2014, 08:58 AM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Another lefty who's left-eye dominant... but one does adapt in a right-hander's world.
03-01-2014, 11:49 AM   #29
Site Supporter

As someone who is semi-ambidextrous, maybe I should just keep my mouth shut (or fingers still in this case). But who said I was smart? So here goes...

While a lot of the camera's controls are on the right side, this is certainly not universal. My K-30 has several controls on the left, and the K-5 with it's top LCD has placed several primary controls on the left. I don't hear many complaints from the right-dominate crowd about this.

The one control that is pretty much always on the right, is the shutter release. On most dSLRs this is easily rectified by attaching a remote release to the left side of the body - You can make one with a small momentary contact switch and attach it with either hotmelt glue or some Velcro.

Now as for left or right eye, there is of course the LCD panel that makes no distinction. The viewfinder is left shifted on most current digital bodies, but it was almost dead center on film bodies. I've used both eyes and for me, the amount of crud transferred from my face to the camera is about the same. Of bigger concern to a large number of shooters are those wearing glasses - and there are plenty of threads on that topic so I won't repeat anything here.
03-02-2014, 08:33 PM   #30
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
As someone who is semi-ambidextrous...
Does this mean you are only half good left handed and half good right handed ?

Greetings