Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 06:40 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
+1 for another P&S. Unless you have a child prodigy, the relationship between shutter, aperture, ISO is a bit too much to deal with for another couple years. Composition control is not beyond a 7 year old's comprehension.

At most, I would look at a bridge camera - handles somewhat like a dSLR, but the zoom lens is not interchangeable. A child's eyesight might be much better than my aging eyes, but their vision (cognitive and predictive ability) just isn't there yet. An interchangeable lens camera is just asking for a dirty sensor or lenses dropped in the process of changing them. A child will detach and reattach a lens just because they can and not for a practical purpose.

03-01-2014, 08:29 PM   #17
Pentaxian

You may be thinking about what you want, not what she wants. You said you "never liked the picture sharpness or speed." You didn't say she didn't. True, at 6 she probably can't discern good or bad image quality in the same sense that you can, but since she can't, it probably shouldn't matter that much to you. For much less than $200 you can get a camera that can take very reasonable quality pictures under most conditions, and also doesn't cost so much that it'll be a big deal if it's lost/damaged.

There's a huge difference between 6/7 and, say, 9/10, and that's probably about when a more serious camera might be more beneficial.
03-02-2014, 05:33 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I got my 8yo son a fuji point and shoot from the thrift store for 5-10 dollars. He uses it to make stop motion animation. It has lasted about a year so far.
03-02-2014, 02:18 PM   #19

Original Poster
thanks everyone for the idea's. I think we are going to get a WG because of the "adventure proof" ness of the camera. Now just to take her to Mcbain next week so she can go buy it. thanks everyone of the help making the decision.
Suphfly

---------- Post added 03-02-14 at 02:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rrstuff Quote
I would get a Pentax 645. If she doesn't like it, you can keep it

That would be nice. BUT if I could afford that I wouldn't have asked the question in the first place

03-05-2014, 12:52 AM   #20
Inactive Account

Get the K3.