Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 04:09 PM - 1 Like   #1

Camera for kid

Hey, Looking for some help/suggestions. I have a 6 almost 7 year old and she has been saving up to buy her own camera and am looking for some ideas one what to choose.

Right now she has to share with her sisters with a point and shoot that we got second hand after our Optio WPi died. I liked the waterproof of the camera but never liked to picture sharpness or speed. But I have been looking at the WG-3 because of the price drop and the ruggedness, but then the Q is only a little more and gives her more options later one and should have better picture quality.

Any ideas/help deciding or better camera suggestions
thanks Suphfly

02-22-2014, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A simple point and shoot first.........Then work from there....
02-22-2014, 05:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
A simple point and shoot first.........Then work from there....
Seconded. A Q is going to have a lot more capabilities that might confuse a young'un, and also, if you're kid's gonna break a camera, you really don't want it to be a Q, cheap or not.
02-22-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by suphfly Quote
Hey, Looking for some help/suggestions. I have a 6 almost 7 year old and she has been saving up to buy her own camera and am looking for some ideas one what to choose.

Right now she has to share with her sisters with a point and shoot that we got second hand after our Optio WPi died. I liked the waterproof of the camera but never liked to picture sharpness or speed. But I have been looking at the WG-3 because of the price drop and the ruggedness, but then the Q is only a little more and gives her more options later one and should have better picture quality.

thanks Suphfly
Pentax MX 1 is now discontinued but still available. See the review on Pentax Forumsmto help you. MX 1 looks like a DSLR but is a good point and shoot for discounted prices now.

02-22-2014, 05:38 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Mx-1 discontinued? Since when?
02-22-2014, 05:42 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I think the WG-3 or MX-1 are excellent choices for a kid. My daughter had been using an ancient Kodak EasyShare some she was 7 or 8. She turned 13 in October & got my K-x passed down to her.
02-22-2014, 05:55 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Le Pew Quote
Mx-1 discontinued? Since when?
See News on Pentax Forum main page. According to PF, discontinued early 2014. Adorama sales price $199.

02-22-2014, 08:00 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
Pentax MX 1 is now discontinued
Where does this information come from? Officially I mean, I don't care what certain retailers might print.
Pentax/Ricoh make no mention of this product being discontinued on any of their global websites (I just checked US/UK/Au/JP all available).
It's still readily available at all good online camera stores at normal pricing in Australia, Canada, US and the UK.
Even the US webstore has them in stock. Only B&H actually have the word 'Discontinued' on their MX-1 page, but so what?
The $199 sale isn't global either. (I'd have another one by now if they were )
02-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I was planning to buy one for my Mother who can't use a Dslr to save her life............
02-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #10
Veteran Member

WG-3 for a kid, good choice. "Adventureproof". Not really but should stand up to a little punishment.
02-24-2014, 08:54 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by suphfly Quote

thanks Suphfly
Get her the Q and insure it...kids nowadays are much more tech savvy and not as stupid as we think...give her a challenge, I'm sure she'll love it...
02-25-2014, 01:20 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

At that age girls in particular can be very savvy but it really depends on her. I usually recommend to friends a rugged camera like the WG or Stylus Tough series, so the kids can take it anywhere and not worry - and slip it in a pocket. A Q is not a bad choice, though, as a more sophisticated starter camera.
02-25-2014, 01:27 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Where does this information come from? Officially I mean, I don't care what certain retailers might print.
Pentax/Ricoh make no mention of this product being discontinued on any of their global websites (I just checked US/UK/Au/JP all available).
It's still readily available at all good online camera stores at normal pricing in Australia, Canada, US and the UK.
Even the US webstore has them in stock. Only B&H actually have the word 'Discontinued' on their MX-1 page, but so what?
The $199 sale isn't global either. (I'd have another one by now if they were )
So order one from Adorama or B&H. $199.00.
02-28-2014, 06:33 PM - 1 Like   #14
Veteran Member

I would get a Pentax 645. If she doesn't like it, you can keep it .

---------- Post added 02-28-14 at 07:34 PM ----------

In all seriousness, I would probably get something rugged and not necessarily new.
02-28-2014, 06:53 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Mx-1 would be a good choice