Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
02-22-2014, 07:02 PM   #1

I need help. Something got into the lens.

Hi there.
I'm new, not only here but also with DSLR as well so please be patient.

I own a K-30 with a 18-135mm WR lens. And since both the body and lens are said to be weather resist I took them out last week to shoot some photos at a ski field. It was not even snowing or anything but still some snow might have got to the camera as I was in a very playful mood.

Then the next thing I noticed is that something must have got into the lens, as you can see in these photos.

Two photos above were taken in 2 different days, and as you may have noticed, the positions of that (?) thing changed.

I don't know what and how because the lens' surface looks perfectly clean to me, no scratches or anything. And it's not the problem with the body either as when I tried taking photos with another lens the photos came out just fine. If it's really water I will be very disappointed..

So any help with indicating what's wrong with the lens, and any suggestion on how I should do, would be appreciated very much.

Thank you all so much in advance!

02-22-2014, 07:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The junk you have circled is probably on the sensor.* The position of the stuff did not change, only the camera orientation. There is a protocol (see your user manual) to raise the mirror and open the shutter so that you can blow it off with a rubber bulb blower. While you are puffing the sensor, you can puff the rear surface of the lens just to be complete.

Steve

* Dust inside the lens is generally not visible as a discrete spot and even junk on the sensor is not always visible at all apertures.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-22-2014 at 07:31 PM.
02-22-2014, 07:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

That's dust and hair on your sensor. Get a simple blower like the rocket blower, blow it off, and you should be good. Also, be sure the in-camera sensor cleaning option is turned on at startup.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-22-2014, 08:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
yup. these are def on your sensor and not the lens.

02-22-2014, 09:43 PM   #5

Original Poster
^ Thank you all so much for your help. I will try doing as you suggested.

But if it's the sensor why when I tried another lens the junk didn't appeared? Just wondering...
02-22-2014, 10:03 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I bet my bottom dollar, it is dust on the sensor, easily removed.

No, do not blow the rear end of a zoom lens. Zoom lenses have gaps where the barrels move in and out and the chance of you blowing dust into the lens barrel is pretty certain.

Just use a soft brush or lint free cloth (your friendly spectacle shop owner will give you one) and brush/wipe off any dust. Much safer then blowing particularly since the rear of a lens is pretty accessible.

But certainly give the rear lens cap a good blow (even with your lungs) before putting it on to the lens for storage. The caps are plastic and and easily build up a static charge which will attract dust. (Pocket lint)

Prime lenses are not so critical as far as blowing the rear part is concerned.

Greetings
02-23-2014, 12:26 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lesshair Quote
^ Thank you all so much for your help. I will try doing as you suggested.

But if it's the sensor why when I tried another lens the junk didn't appeared? Just wondering...
The appearance of the dust and stuff on the sensor tends to be more noticiable against light backgrounds and at small apertures (f22). I would try the other lens again at f22, at infinity and aim it up at the sky - then see what turns out. I am betting you will get a similar view.

02-23-2014, 06:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, aperture makes all the difference to degree gunk on the sensor appears in the image. What is hardly noticeable at F2.8 or F4 can be an abomination at F11 or F16. Some scenes also want to emphasis sensor gunk.

Be very careful when using the blower that its tip does not touch the sensor surface. Also, sometimes a blower will not be able to shift the dust spots (or in my case recently I turned a couple of spots into many, many spots, grrrrr!). In that case, find a decent nearby camera shop that offers a sensor screening service. Do not muck about attempting to touch the surface of the sensor yourself unless you are quite confident you know what you are doing. Make a mistake and the camera will be ruined.
02-23-2014, 06:38 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Yeah, don't touch the sensor. They sell wet cleaning swabs for sensors. They may not be a good idea if you are not careful & conscientious in what you do.
02-23-2014, 09:10 AM   #10
Pentaxian

After you get it cleaned off turn on Dust Removal in your menu... That can help but it doesn't stop it from happening completely.
02-23-2014, 06:06 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Bulb blowers are good but worth checking for insects before use
This little sucker took numerous scrubbings to remove

02-23-2014, 06:51 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Transit Quote
Bulb blowers are good but worth checking for insects before use
This little sucker took numerous scrubbings to remove
Aww! Poor guy.