Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 12:08 AM   #1

Live View and ISO differences

Hello everyone, just picked up a K-50. One thing I noticed and can't seem to find a setting for is why the picture is so much different using Live View. I prefer the viewfinder but on a low-light picture just turning on Live View boosted the auto ISO to where the picture was much brighter (and I noticed a double-shutter). HDR is off. Anyone else notice this?

Thanks!

02-23-2014, 12:32 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The live view display doesn't give you a real time preview of the exposure. Instead, it tries to brighten the image so that you can see everything. There's no setting to change this behavior, unfortunately.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-23-2014, 01:11 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The purpose of Liveview is for focusing and framing, just the same as the optical viewfinder. Of the parameters for an image - ISO, shutter speed and aperture, none of them are applied to either view. The camera, especially in low light (night, indoors, etc.) situations essentially gathers light in order to present an image in Liveview that is useable. You might notice at night that there is a very substantial lag in the view of the rear monitor, while the sensor collects enough light to put up an image. You can see something move with your eye, then a second or so later see it move on Liveview. That lag is the amount of time the sensor needs to gather the light so that the image processor has sufficient information to form a useable image on the rear monitor.

In terms of the double-shutter, lets walk through the operations. You turn the camera body on, then put it into light view mode. This will lift the mirror and open the shutter, thereby letting the light in to the sensor and the Liveview image appears. When you depress the shutter, what happens is that - the camera is still an SLR - so the shutter slides back over the sensor, and then activates. The shutter is a dual curtain - a forward curtain followed by a space and a rear curtain. The space is calibrated for the shutter speed actually being used - between 1/8000 of a second to 30 seconds. Then after the image is captured with the shutter sliding over the sensor to gate the light in, the shutter then is slid back opening up the sensor to the light and thereby returning to Liveview mode. This is a bit different than that of a P&S or a mirrorless (like the Q), where there is an electronic shutter on the sensor. You can think of this function as the image on the sensor is cleaned off, then the sensor is commanded to accumulate the light for the period of the shutter speed (lets say it 1/30 of a second), then the sensor sends this information to the image processor for processing, while the sensor is returned to providing the scene back to the rear monitor.

You can put the camera body in live view, flip the body around and take off the lens - and look into the camera. Then press the shutter and you can see the shutter roll back across the sensor, then the curtains with the slit - and then the sensor slides back off the sensor opening up to return to liveview.

02-23-2014, 02:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Wow, that was an awesome explanation. Thank you both for the quick replies. I suppose the easiest fix for me is to not be lazy and set the ISO for the lighting conditions instead of relying on the auto ISO if it isn't behaving the way I want it to. Or use the Live View if I like the results better :-) So far I like the camera a lot, at first I wasn't sure if I liked the flash not popping up auto-magically but then I remembered the T2i I used where it kept popping up when it wasn't allowed.

Thank you guys again, I did a lot of reading on this forum before buying. Tons of great support!

02-23-2014, 04:58 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sk0l Quote
Wow, that was an awesome explanation. Thank you both for the quick replies. I suppose the easiest fix for me is to not be lazy and set the ISO for the lighting conditions instead of relying on the auto ISO if it isn't behaving the way I want it to. Or use the Live View if I like the results better :-) So far I like the camera a lot, at first I wasn't sure if I liked the flash not popping up auto-magically but then I remembered the T2i I used where it kept popping up when it wasn't allowed.

Thank you guys again, I did a lot of reading on this forum before buying. Tons of great support!
There is a setting for the flash to work automatically, if the mode is Auto or Scene. Page 68-69 of the manual has a detailed explanation.