Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 09:19 AM   #1

K-500 sensor/lens dust issue?

Noticed some particle in my photos and videos shot with the kit lens. I don't have any other lenses on hand to test, so I don't know what it is. I don't see anything on the sensor though.
Notice how the particle changes shape as I zoom in/out.
Is there anything I can do?
Thank you in advance.

02-23-2014, 10:04 AM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You blow the sensor clean with a rocket-style blower per the instructions in the user manual.

Sorry to say, but sensor dust is an unavoidable hazard with all interchangeable lens digital cameras. You generally can't see the dust on visual inspection of the sensor.

Steve
02-23-2014, 10:13 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Yes, looks like dust on the sensor. All DSLRs (and mirrorless interchangeable lens cameras) get dust on the sensor eventually. Even if you never exchange the lens. This happens because sensors have static. Zoom lenses can also "pump" air in and out of the mirror box, and the mirror slap moves the dust around. There are numerous threads about this, including instructions on how to clean the sensor.
a. First unmount the lens and inspect its back element closely, making sure there is no dust or anything there. Dust on the front element or even inside the lens is usually invisible. If there is dust, use a rocket blower or a soft fabric to remove it (be careful that the fabric won't leave more stuff behind, and that its not too rough). Then put the lens back on.
b. Charge up the batters and run the Dust removal function (it vibrates the sensor). Its in the menu.
c. If none of this fixes it, use the Sensor cleaning function. This lifts the mirror and opens the shutter, exposing the sensor. Do not blow on there with your mouth - spit droplets are no good! Also do not use regular Q tips or anything like that. The sensor is very delicate. The best place to begin is a rocket blower. You can get them fairly cheap online. Make sure it doesn't scratch the sensor, just be careful. Try t blow the dust out. Make sure that you don't get more dust inside as you are trying to clean it out. Putting the camera sensor-up and looking into it can be a bad idea, as dust floats down. Once you are done, switch the camera OFF and the shutter and mirror will close. Battery must be full for this operation.
d. There are other tools for sensor cleaning. Pentax makes a "lollipop" that uses static to attract dust off from the sensor. There are also wet solutions.
e. Camera repair stores often offer sensor cleaning as a service. It might be worth paying the price every once in a while. They at least take responsibility and usually know what they are doing.

You can also simply ignore it and avoid subjects (clear blue sky, white wall, etc.) or settings (wide angle lenses, high f-number) that make the dust more visible.Taking photos of a forest with a 85mm lens at f2.0 probably won't "show" any dust (but its still there, just won't be bothersome in the photo). You can also use software to remove dust spots after you take the photo.
02-23-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Original Poster
If it is sensor dust, would the dust still appear in the images if there is no lens mounted? I've noticed that it does not show up with no lens mounted.
Thanks to those who have responded.

02-23-2014, 02:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Try turning on Dust removal it will help.
02-23-2014, 02:51 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tobyshootspentax Quote
If it is sensor dust, would the dust still appear in the images if there is no lens mounted? I've noticed that it does not show up with no lens mounted.
It won't even show up anyway, even with a lens. It only "appears" when the focus is right, when the contrast is high, and so on. But its still there even if invisible. If you use an enlarger loupe and look at the sensor, you can probably see it on there.
Just look up some threads about this issue, there are plenty of sample photos showing you what dust spots look like
04-20-2014, 10:27 AM   #7

Original Poster
Update: I eventually bought a rocket blower and cleaned my sensor. Worked a treat.

04-21-2014, 12:11 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
ou generally can't see the dust on visual inspection of the sensor.
With a good sensor loupe you can. For the OP, buy one use it and you will never ask this question "I don't know what it is. I don't see anything on the sensor..." again.

Last edited by Schraubstock; 04-21-2014 at 12:13 AM. Reason: typo