Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 10:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-7 & k-5

I will be travelling in April to Central America. I have both a K-7 and a K-5 and I will be taking both with me. My question is this: Are there situations in which each body would be best used? I understand the DR and AF handicaps, but what else should I consider?

02-23-2014, 10:42 AM   #2
Veteran Member

K-5 has no deficiencies compared to the K-7 IMO. I understand taking two bodies with you but I would use the K-5 whenever possible.
02-23-2014, 10:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I remember you sold all your limiteds, right? Are you planning on wondering arround with two bodies and the lenses on your sign? Donīt take it as an offense but that would be the ultimate tourist. Which countries are you visiting and what kind of places?Central america is used to seeing tourists of all kind but still pour countries where big equipment grabs a lot of, perhaps, unwanted attention? really interesting places are often far from the most urbanized areas and not only because of safety but to achieve a more realistic experience, as the camera often becomes a barrier to interact with the new surroundings
02-23-2014, 11:15 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I had the K20 (same sensor as your K7) and my current K5. For me the largest difference is low light noise. The K20 was ok, but the K5 is substantially superior in terms of sensor noise at any ISO. I usually shoot at low ISO - namely 80 to 200.

02-23-2014, 04:17 PM   #5
Ole
Administrator

I suggest that you mount your most used lens on the K-5 and your number two on the K-7. Then you avoid having to swap lenses in the field. For low light/night photography you'd go for the K-5, of course.
02-24-2014, 05:09 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I understand the drawbacks of the bigger zooms but I've done this trip to El Salvador before and think changing the prime lenses did not work to my advantage; I then used the 18-250mm mostly. I will be in the sierra/jungle documenting a mission trip. We'll be travelling in two vans and will look like tourists anyway. I probably won't be doing much lowlight shooting but certainly would use the K-5 for that - I'm taking the 55mm as well. We all shoot differently don't we. Thanks for the input.
02-24-2014, 11:34 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found that for some reason, my tamron 28-75/2.8 does Not play well with my K7. So I use the K7 with my sigma 10-20 and my K5 with the Tammy

Both are capable bodies, but the K5 is a clear winner as ISO goes up

02-26-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mysterick Quote
I will be travelling in April to Central America. I have both a K-7 and a K-5 and I will be taking both with me. My question is this: Are there situations in which each body would be best used? I understand the DR and AF handicaps, but what else should I consider?
I'm assuming you're referring to the greater dynamic range and lower noise at higher ISO from the K5, vs. the reported problems with the K5 autofocus in certain lighting conditions. Other than that I'm not aware of any significant differences.
02-26-2014, 08:06 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Seven To Five?

Hello mysterick,
I can't add anything much new, the K-5's overall DR is enough to keep it up front with whatever fast zoom you use as # 1. But I'd stick one of the best primes on the K-7, probably the macro. While the K-7's sensor is woeful at high ISO's, at 100 to 200 it rivals the K-5's, in fact I can find examples where I prefer it.
That would be mainly bright, colorful but warm subjects, skin tones (all), landscapes, sunrise/set, etc. Yes, the K-5 sensor is cleaner and finer overall, it is also a bit cooler in its sharpness, less character. The K-7's sensor, for all its flaws, can render carefully-composed "wow" shots as well as anybody.
Yep, a couple of good primes for the K-7 and fast zooms for the K-5.
JMO,
Ron