Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-23-2014, 11:02 PM   #1

K-01 Setting Help Needed

Hi,
I'm having a few problems setting up my K-01.
1) The AF mode is set on Face Detection. I cannot change this mode to Tracking, Select or Spot focus. Upon pressing the info button all the camera options are lit up with the exception of Face Detection due to it being blacked out, therefore I cannot change the AF mode. Face Detection is also blacked out under Menu. Obviously something is clicked on somewhere not allowing me to make changes.
2) Which AF mode will lock on to what I want to take a picture of without picking a different area on it's own? Currently AF wants to focus on the closest thing in the viewfinder.
3) Upon reviewing a picture taken, I get red flickering highlights over area's of the picture. I understand that these area's are either under/over exposed, but I want to turn this feature off.
Thank you in advance for all your help, I sincerely appreciate it. Ray

02-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

1) Take it out of AUTO mode.
2) Spot
3) Play Tab ► Bright/Dark Area. Uncheck it.
02-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hey, welcome to the forum!
Yeah, the face detect AF is pretty poor, as is the tracking. I would suggest you use select.
And no, the AF isn't trying to focus on the "closest thing" - it always focuses on the "most contrasty thing within the AF square" (and you can move the square around, and change its size)
Flickering lights are the Bright/Dark area thing, yes. Turn it off in the Menu. It tells you where the image is completely white (too much light) or completely black (no light). Its a good feature, I personally have the highlight enabled, so I know if I over-exposed
02-24-2014, 06:14 AM   #4

Original Poster
Hi,
Thanks for the replies.... I was able to turn off the Bright/Dark setting, but am still having problems with the AF. I changed from Auto to Manual using the mode dial in which I was then able to change Face Detection to another mode. Upon returning to the Auto mode, Face Detection along with the same bouncing around of the auto focus remained. It appears that Face Detection is the only mode for Auto. Do I need to use for example AV in order to take a picture of something without my focus point bouncing around? For now, I would like this camera to be used mainly in auto mode.
Once this issue is resolved, which mode for focusing would you say is best for focusing throughout the foreground/background, Spot or Select? I believe that Select may be best as Na Horuk suggested. Is this the same as expanded focus? I believe that Spot woud give me different depth of fields which would be great for portraits. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
I can't thank you enough for all your help. Ray

02-24-2014, 05:49 PM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
I changed from Auto to Manual using the mode dial in which I was then able to change Face Detection to another mode. Upon returning to the Auto mode, Face Detection along with the same bouncing around of the auto focus remained.
Well of course, AUTO doesn't inherit Manual modes.

QuoteOriginally posted by Paula & Ray Quote
For now, I would like this camera to be used mainly in auto mode.
Unfortunately in AUTO you have to be content with what the camera decides is best.
The K-01 can deliver much better results than AUTO provides, I'd encourage you to spend a little time learning to use the semi-auto and manual modes.

QuoteQuote:
I believe that Spot woud give me different depth of fields which would be great for portraits.
Depth of field is controlled by Aperture. Fast prime lenses are best for shallow depth of field when shooting portraits. You can get sort of similar shots with teles at the long end if you have enough room to stand way back from your subject.
02-24-2014, 06:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The very idea behind the green Auto mode is that.. it is automatic. This means you don't do anything, you just point and shoot.
Try using P mode to get some more controls. And then graduate to Av and Tv

For portrait, switch to Av mode and twist the dial to make the f-number as small as possible. Now get close to your subject. Closer. Bam, shallow DoF, lots of blur, most bokeh!
To make bokeh nice and powerful you probably need a lens with minimum f-number (aperture) f3.5 or lower (f1.8 is great! like with the DA 50mm f1.8. The DA* 55mm f1.4 was made for portraits with shallow DoF)
02-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

Good Advice from Steve and Na Horuk,
As Steve said, just turn it to manual and learn the use of aperture, iso, and exposure on the wheel and buttons. The K-01 is terrific to experiment with lenses as well. You can read the EXIF on each to see the settings on these examples. The pansies were done with a Sigma 50-150 II APO EX DC. Good Luck!

Last edited by lukulele; 03-08-2015 at 04:40 PM.