Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 10:02 AM - 7 Likes   #1

Photos: Gallery
[solved] K-3 + Mac/iPad users - help me test a fix for RAW files

Apple has just released the "Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 5.04" with support for the K-3.

This solves the issue I had brought up here (well, it's not solved for the iPad yet, but my solution isn't helping there directly, either)

--------- the following is not an issue any more ----------

If you're using a K-3 and a Mac, you are probably aware of the fact that Apple's software (Preview, QuickView, iPhoto, Aperture as well as the iPad Camera Connection Kit) do not support the K-3's RAW files (neither PEF nor DNG).

The currently only solution known to me is to use Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the files into a format that Apple's software understands.

Now, the reason for this problem is just just a single specific byte K-3's DNG files, i.e. the "DNG Backward Version" field, which says that it requires software that supports version 1.2, and Apple's software seems to have a problem with this.

However, when I change this value from 1.2 to 1.1, then it works, i.e. iPhoto and Aperture can display the DNG files.

Sadly, it's not clear who is at fault here. Could be that the K-3's DNG files contain data that is essential to using the RAW files, and if Apple's software does not understand this new information, it does good to reject these files in order to prevent misinterpretation. However, it also could just be that Apple's software has a bug and can handle these 1.2 DNG version files just fine, and the rejection is a just mistake.

So, let's try to find this out empirically (unless this has already been done and I'm just not up to date?).

I've written a simple program that modifies the DNG files by changing this one value in the files. It does not change any image data - only a value that tells software whether it should be able to handle this file or not. The software makes it so that Apple's software accepts the file, that's all. And with that, it *seems* to work. However, maybe there are subtle tings that do not work. Let's find out.

You can download the program here: http://files.tempel.org/Various/Pentax%20K-3%20RAW%20Fixer.app.zip

Just start the program, then drag files into the window - it'll convert them immediately to the Apple compatible version. You can also revert them back the original version or just check the current version.

Then open them in iPhoto or Aperture. Also try a conversion thru the Adobe DNG converter and see if you find any differences in the results. I hope not, and that would be empirical proof that this fix works. It should be easy for Ricoh to apply this in a firmware update then.

(The advantage of this tool over using the Adobe DNG Converter is that it does not need to create copies of your DNG files, and that it's faster. Also, if this turns out to be a reliable solution, I can issue this "fix" to both Apple and Ricoh, maybe they'll be quicker to update their software then.)

Last edited by tempelorg; 03-21-2014 at 03:50 PM.
02-24-2014, 10:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
If you're using a K-3 and a Mac, you are probably aware of the fact that Apple's software (Preview, QuickView, iPhoto, Aperture as well as the iPad Camera Connection Kit) do not support the K-3's RAW files (neither PEF nor DNG).

The currently only solution known to me is to use Adobe's DNG Converter to convert the files into a format that Apple's software understands.

Now, the reason for this problem is just just a single specific byte K-3's DNG files, i.e. the "DNG Backward Version" field, which says that it requires software that supports version 1.2, and Apple's software seems to have a problem with this.

However, when I change this value from 1.2 to 1.1, then it works, i.e. iPhoto and Aperture can display the DNG files.

Sadly, it's not clear who is at fault here. Could be that the K-3's DNG files contain data that is essential to using the RAW files, and if Apple's software does not understand this new information, it does good to reject these files in order to prevent misinterpretation. However, it also could just be that Apple's software has a bug and can handle these 1.2 DNG version files just fine, and the rejection is a just mistake.

So, let's try to find this out empirically (unless this has already been done and I'm just not up to date?).

I've written a simple program that modifies the DNG files by changing this one value in the files. It does not change any image data - only a value that tells software whether it should be able to handle this file or not. The software makes it so that Apple's software accepts the file, that's all. And with that, it *seems* to work. However, maybe there are subtle tings that do not work. Let's find out.

You can download the program here: http://files.tempel.org/Various/Pentax%20K-3%20RAW%20Fixer.app.zip

Just start the program, then drag files into the window - it'll convert them immediately to the Apple compatible version. You can also revert them back the original version or just check the current version.

(The advantage of this tool over using the Adobe DNG Converter is that it does not need to create copies of your DNG files, and that it's faster. Also, if this turns out to be a reliable solution, I can issue this "fix" to both Apple and Ricoh, maybe they'll be quicker to update their software then.)

Oh, and if you like this post, please give me some "likes" - I just realize that this is the day where I could win a lens.
Very interesting - and for all your efforts, I did "like" your post ....

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 09:32 AM ----------

I will test it tonight....
02-24-2014, 10:38 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks. Could you please edit your post to remove the huge quote? If several persons do this, it becomes hard to browse the comments. Looking forward to your findings, and thanks for the like. (Ah, now I realize that this quoting happens when using "quick reply". I wonder if that's a smart forum default behavior...)
02-24-2014, 10:41 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As I only shoot RAW, it would be helpful if this metadata tool could be made to work with PEF files.

Thanks for you efforts anyway!

Michael

02-24-2014, 11:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
As I only shoot RAW, it would be helpful if this metadata tool could be made to work with PEF files.

Thanks for you efforts anyway!

Michael
Is there a reason why you won't save images as DNG files?
02-24-2014, 11:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
I'll make an effort if you give me a like

But seriously - I've already looked into that. the PEF file is not as well documented, though it also uses an extension of the TIFF file format. I can't find a version entry in the PEF file like it's in the DNG file, yet. I have files from my K-5 to compare, though. Once it turns out that my fix works well, I'll see that I get it working with PEF as well.
02-25-2014, 04:12 PM   #7

Original Poster
Looks like there's little interest in this, after all? Or am I making it too complicated?

02-25-2014, 04:31 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I think a related question is: how many Mac users are saving their Pentax K-3 RAW files as DNG vs. How many Mac users are saving their Pentax K-3 RAW files as PEF vs. How many Mac users are saving their Pentax K-3 files as JPEG?

Perhaps there is a need for survey? (I wouldn't be surprised if there is a slim majority of Mac users saving as JPEG, since iPhoto and other apps work so well with JPEGs)

Michael
02-25-2014, 08:01 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tempelorg Quote
Looks like there's little interest in this, after all? Or am I making it too complicated?
You're current audience is an intersection of Aperture/iPhoto users , K-3 owners, and readers of this specific thread. That probably isn't too many.
02-25-2014, 10:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I'm using PEFs from my K-3. I edit them in LightRoom or Gimp. I only bought LightRoom because Aperture could not handle the K-3 files.
03-01-2014, 07:17 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'm getting close to pulling the trigger on a K-3. This compatibility issue would mess up my current workflow, which is straight from the sd card into Aperture. If (when) I do get a K-3, I'll be glad to try your fix!
03-01-2014, 07:54 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Perhaps I'll give it a try in the morning. It's pretty late for that kind of fooling around.
03-02-2014, 01:02 AM   #13

Original Poster
What are the reasons why people want to use PEF instead of DNG? Does PEF offer any qualities that DNG doesn't? The only difference I am aware of is the different packing, i.e. PEFs are usually smaller, but both contain the SAME RAW information. Therefore, one chooses PEF over DNG only for size, not for quality. If that's correct, then I don't see why people would argue "I need to use PEF, so I can't use your converter".
03-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DNG is not compatible with DxO Optics Pro. It is the only raw processor I use. For me, it has to be PEF.

Michael
03-09-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax DNG is not compatible with DxO Optics Pro. It is the only raw processor I use. For me, it has to be PE
FYI: Version 9.1.3 of DxO Optics Pro supports K-3 DNG (PC version, at least).

Cheers,
Lou