Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2014, 07:31 PM   #1

Pentax k30 troubles with uploading onto IPhoto and Lightroom

Hi guys hoping to get some Apple Mac and Pentax K30 help please.

I recently bought a new k30 camera and have taken some great shot but now my problem is viewing them only MacBook. I uploaded about 300 pics yesterday of a friends baby shower and them deleted them from camera and now I can't find them!

I have tried uploading new pics on both Lightroom to try if it reads through Lightroom as well as iPhoto but the camera isn't recognizable as such. It comes up with the camera recognized as 'no name' then when I go to open the dcim there are no pics in the folder in Lightroom, so I can even upload these. I'm hoping I haven't lost the photos I added to iPhoto of my friends baby shower too. I have looked through last imports and they aren't there. I have found the event dates in photo events but no pics are in the folders.

Am I missing something I should have don't in the setup or do Pentax k30s just not talk to MacBooks. So sick of my Mac!!

Please help, really keen to see some photos and find these images hopefully.

02-24-2014, 07:44 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Did you shoot RAW PEF?
02-24-2014, 07:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes mostly
02-24-2014, 07:51 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmmmm... it's possible that your Lightroom didn't recognize the PEF. If you shoot RAW, choose DNG. (I'm not familiar with the K-30 though). You might want to download a PEF reader or any program that can read PEF and convert them to Jpeg or DNG. Your Lightroom probably stored your PEF files in your pictures folder in your computer.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 08:56 PM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/6...-pef-jpeg.html

PEF to PNG | How to Convert PEF to PNG

02-24-2014, 08:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
Yay, I tried again by restarting the computer and downloading a pentax software and it has uploaded in both iPhoto and Lightroom!! Now the issue is retrieving the 300 pics that I uploaded the other day which I can't seem to open or see in iphoto. Hoping they aren't gone or my friend won't be happy. I may try calling Apple?
02-24-2014, 08:07 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Can you do a search for files on your computer with the .dng extension?

Steve
02-24-2014, 08:09 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you uploaded the files, they must be in your pictures folder. Do a search in your computer with key word : "PEF". If they are PEF files they will appear.

02-24-2014, 08:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
Great thanks I'll try that. Do you know where I would enter that search on my computer?
02-24-2014, 08:22 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shonnee79 Quote
Great thanks I'll try that. Do you know where I would enter that search on my computer?
Not familiar with Macbooks, sorry...
02-24-2014, 08:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Shonnee79 Quote
On Mac enter the search query in the Spotlight menu box on the top right. Look for the ? mark on the search bar. You can also do the same thing on the File drop down menu under Find, or Find Recent. Your photos are not lost. You just misplaced them with a .PEF file format.
02-24-2014, 08:47 PM   #11

Original Poster
Just not looking good. I search .pef but nothing is coming up at all under 'this Mac'. Surely they should be hidden somewhere
02-24-2014, 08:48 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

try .DNG
02-24-2014, 09:23 PM   #13

Original Poster
Cannot find them anywhere but I have found a program that hopefully can recover the photos that I deleted from my sd card called card rescue. Coming up with over 300 photos at the moment so is looking good. Thanks for all your help guys. Fingers crossed this works
02-25-2014, 02:49 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by nicoprod Quote
Hmmmm... it's possible that your Lightroom didn't recognize the PEF. If you shoot RAW, choose DNG. (I'm not familiar with the K-30 though). You might want to download a PEF reader or any program that can read PEF and convert them to Jpeg or DNG. Your Lightroom probably stored your PEF files in your pictures folder in your computer.

---------- Post added 02-24-14 at 08:56 PM ----------

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/32-digital-processing-software-printing/6...-pef-jpeg.html

PEF to PNG | How to Convert PEF to PNG
K30 doesn't shoot PEF only DNG
02-25-2014, 05:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I hope you did not take too many pictures on the same card after the 300 were lost because your chances of recovering everything are getting slimmer. Do no longer use the card and install some recovery software on the Mac; e.g. photorec ( PhotoRec - CGSecurity ) and use that to recover your photos from the card.