Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 01:55 PM   #16

Original Poster
Good to know geru2000.
I have paid $40 and used a sd card recovery program to find the lost pics.
Thankfully they are all retrieved and bring saved onto many external drives to keep safe. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Now time to learn to use the camera and find a walkabout lens for it as this standard 18-55 is not very good. I bought myself a 50mm 1.8 the other day and it takes beautiful shots. Excited to learn and capture more

02-25-2014, 02:12 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So pleased for your recovery of the photos. Was the problem on the SD card? Or couldn't the Mac Finder find them? I run a MacBookPro with OSX 10.9.1 and would appreciate any info of possible photo download problems, although I have never had a single one with Aperture or iPhoto.

Enjoy your camera!
02-25-2014, 02:23 PM   #18

Original Poster
I actually don't know but I did watch all my pentax pics get transferred onto the laptop and ask me t delete my photos off my camera, which I did. Don't think it was the sd card but possibly was lost because my startup disk on my MacBook is almost full. That's the only thing I can put it down to but thankgod for recovery programs!
Now I can try editing them in Lightroom and giving them to my friend. Yay!
02-25-2014, 02:34 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Check your System reports. There will be a report of a failed download, if that is what happened. "System--Console--Reports".

Just trying to explain your problem so it never ever ever happens again!

02-25-2014, 02:50 PM   #20
Veteran Member

iPhoto may have been cataloging the pictures on the card without copying them to the computer. In this case, once the card is ejected from the computer, iPhoto can't find the pictures anymore.
After experiencing this headache a couple of times, I switched to Aperture for the Mac. However, lack of K-3 RAW support on the Mac has caused me to purchase Lightroom, also satisfactorily functional.
02-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #21
Veteran Member

Yes, one must select "Store photos in iPhoto Library" or whatever the current command is. If this is not done, then pulling the plug on the camera USB is like a power failure and the link is gone. I never download photos directly from the camera. Always eject the card and insert in the SD card slot on the left side of the MacBook Pro. Then after copying, always choose "File-Eject K30". Plug and pull of USB cords does not work.
02-25-2014, 04:58 PM   #22

Original Poster
Ok I don't know where I would add that command ' store photos in iPhoto though'. I have Lightroom also so may try only adding the photos through this program instead of overloading iPhoto with pics that I don't really love too. Why are macs made so hard to use. I always thought they should be simple but everything I try up add to my Mac seems to be so difficult.

02-25-2014, 11:39 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Not my experience with Macs. On the contrary, I have never had a problem with user interface. I am a Mac user since 1986, two years after they came out. I have worked with multiple operating system versions. Macs are not difficult, believe me.
02-26-2014, 12:06 AM   #24

Original Poster
That's what people tell me Waterfall but mine is a nightmare. Been working on fixing the startup disk all day. Somehow the disk is almost full but I have deleted all my photos, movies, and only have music on there. Thinking to reinstall the software and delete everything and start again. I hope it's not a mistake
02-26-2014, 05:02 AM   #25

QuoteOriginally posted by Shonnee79 Quote
That's what people tell me Waterfall but mine is a nightmare. Been working on fixing the startup disk all day. Somehow the disk is almost full but I have deleted all my photos, movies, and only have music on there. Thinking to reinstall the software and delete everything and start again. I hope it's not a mistake
Dont forget to empty the trash afterwards or you will never free up space.

I use picasa and lightroom on my mac. Work flow is easy and the pics end up in google cloud so they are in at least 3 places.
02-26-2014, 05:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Shonnee79 Quote
Good to know geru2000.
I have paid $40 and used a sd card recovery program to find the lost pics.
Thankfully they are all retrieved and bring saved onto many external drives to keep safe. Thanks for all your help everyone!

Now time to learn to use the camera and find a walkabout lens for it as this standard 18-55 is not very good. I bought myself a 50mm 1.8 the other day and it takes beautiful shots. Excited to learn and capture more
RE: your 18-55mm... Granted it isn't the sharpest of lenses but using a test chart and Af fine Adjustment you may be able correct your lens and get much better results. I found mine was front focusing badly and a -8 adjustment corrected it to where it takes really decent photos now.

PS what version of Mac OS are you using? The Pentax manual recommends at least OS Mac OS X 10.5, 10.6, or 10.7

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 02-26-2014 at 05:54 AM.
02-26-2014, 08:08 PM   #27

On my iMac desktop, I plug in the sd card and it opens iPhoto automatically. It then asks if you want to download
x-number of photos off the card. Click 'yes' and when done it will ask if you want to keep or delete the photos on
the card...I always click KEEP until I get them into an external hard drive.
All newly downloaded pics should automatically by default go into a folder named "recently downloaded".
I only shoot jpeg so perhaps raw goes to another place repose, but shoudn't...? I don't know if iPhoto supports raw.
You may need to upgrade to Aperature for that...
03-01-2014, 02:25 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I store new photos temporarily on the desktop, then copy to two backup drives. Only then do I download into Aperture, as a "Project" with a unique ID. I have the new Project files "referenced" so Aperture does not actually store the images but instead goes,to my 2TB Lacie primary image storage disk. This keeps my Mac open and nimble with plenty of hard drive storage. Only downside is when out of office, the Project folders are not on my laptop. When this is a possible issue, I copy from the backup disk into a "Working Projects" folder and have the images available on the laptop anywhere.
03-07-2014, 06:42 AM   #29

Photos: Gallery
Hi there fellow pentax lovers!
Question:
What is the best way to transfer images from my K-3 to my computer? with a I-USb17 cable (as per the pentax website accessories) I notice when I bought the camera there was no cable that came with it or
take out my sdxc card and put in my card reader on my computer?
Thankyou
03-07-2014, 09:29 AM   #30
Veteran Member

There is no best way. Both ways work (as long as your computer supports the card )
I prefer cable as there is less chance to damage the card contacts in the camera (call me paranoid) but the disadvantage is that it drains the camera battery a little faster. Others prefer card readers.