Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-25-2014, 08:34 AM   #1

PH-RBC lens hood for the Da 50mm F1.8

Hello,

Is the PH-RBC hood compatible with the da 50mm f 1.8. If not what do you recommand.
The Da 50mm unfortunately does not come with a lens hood. Also, I do not like the look of a rubber lens hood

Thanks !

02-25-2014, 08:52 AM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The PH-RBC (52mm) is intended for the 18-55 kit lens and attaches via a bayonet fitting. I don't believe your lens supports such. If you don't like a rubber lens hood, there are many, many available metal hoods that will fit the 52mm threads of your lens.

Steve
02-25-2014, 09:02 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The PH-RBC (52mm) is intended for the 18-55 kit lens and attaches via a bayonet fitting. I don't believe your lens supports such. If you don't like a rubber lens hood, there are many, many available metal hoods that will fit the 52mm threads of your lens.

Steve
Thanks stevebrot.

How do I know which 52mm lens hoods are compatible with the Da 50mm. I would like the hood mainly to protect the lens. Is buying a uv filter another option (i.e. to protect the lens) ?
02-25-2014, 09:25 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I just noticed that you are a new user. Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Non-dedicated hoods are traditionally divided into three sizes, wide, normal, and tele. The intent is to provide adequate shading without causing vignette. For APS-C format, I use a normal or tele metal hood with my 50mm lenses. I have found that the hoods sold by heavystar on eBay offer a good balance of quality and price:

New Metal 52mm Standard Screw in Lens Hood | eBay

Steve

02-25-2014, 09:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
I just noticed that you are a new user. Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Non-dedicated hoods are traditionally divided into three sizes, wide, normal, and tele. The intent is to provide adequate shading without causing vignette. For APS-C format, I use a normal or tele metal hood with my 50mm lenses. I have found that the hoods sold by heavystar on eBay offer a good balance of quality and price:

New Metal 52mm Standard Screw in Lens Hood | eBay

Steve
Hi stevebrot... Thanks for your help..

This is my first post on this forum... but I have been using this forum for 3 or 4 months now. I found it very helpful and one of the reasons I bought a Pentax was this forum.. Just t bought a k-5 iis and a da 50mm f1.8 and da 16-45mm f4 .. Very happy with the results.
02-25-2014, 10:25 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by daspaceman Quote
Thanks stevebrot.

How do I know which 52mm lens hoods are compatible with the Da 50mm. I would like the hood mainly to protect the lens. Is buying a uv filter another option (i.e. to protect the lens) ?
You can make a temporary hood, a paper or cardboard tube a little bigger than the lens body. Extend it until it shows up in the viewfinder, then back up a little. Measure the distance between the end of the tube and the filter threads. Measure the diameter of the opening. Then buy a hood close to that size but not longer.

Filters need to be high-quality, like the elements of your lens, or they can degrade your photos. The good ones can be costly, especially in larger sizes. You probably want a hood as well as a filter, to control stray light. Filters are better protection, like against salt spray or flying debris, but reasonable precautions and a hood are good enough for most cases. For a 50mm lens, the hood can be really deep, two inches or so, putting the front element way back from harm's way.
02-25-2014, 12:14 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hey, welcome!
So yes, you need a lens hood that fits the filter ring on the front (with 52mm diameter if I remember. You can check on your lens). And the hood should be deep enough for a lens between 50mm and 75mm (so, don't bother with a hood for 35mm lenses, or with a hood for 100mm lenses, even though they may fit.)
I think the official hood for the DA 50mm f1.8 is labelled RH-RA52 and there are probably cheap clones available online. At least, that is what the review page says. You can check the box/manual.
You can also buy generics, as long as they fit the filter thread diameter. These can be collapsible ribber hoods, petal/crown/tulip shaped, or even a square hood (a clone of a Pentax design).
I would advise against a metal hood, because it can be shiny/reflective and it transfers shock to the filter threads (if you bump into something). Metal hood is hard, DA 50mm f1.8 is mostly plastic. Better to lose a hood than a lens, in case of a drop or bump.
02-26-2014, 11:42 AM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I would advise against a metal hood, because it can be shiny/reflective...
You keep posting that warning (on multiple threads), though I must protest that none of my metal hoods have reflective inner surfaces* while ALL of my plastic hoods (Pentax or Samyang brand...came with lens) do. I might also add that while generic "tulip" hoods might look cool, I would question their utility unless they are the dedicated version from the manufacturer.

As for plastic vs. metal in terms of shock absorption...I tend to agree when applied to plastic lenses, assuming that the hood is weaker than the lens it is attached to. My philosophy has been that if the impact is sufficiently severe to transmit damage through the hood to the filter threads and/or innards of the lens, the choice of hood materials probably is not too important. There is only so much that can be accomplished by leveraging the hood as a crush zone. In regards to collapsible rubber hoods...I use them, but not for protection. After all they collapse.

Steve

P.S. The RH-RA 52 hood was the dedicated hood for the Pentax-F and FA 50/2.8 macro. I will fit the DA 50/1.8, but unfortunately is no longer available.

* The metal hoods in my bag are finely ribbed on the inner surface with dark gray flat finish (appears to be powder coat). The ribbing is nice since it allows a pinch-type cap to be affixed to the front.

Last edited by stevebrot; 02-26-2014 at 11:57 AM.
02-26-2014, 01:46 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You keep posting that warning (on multiple threads), though I must protest that none of my metal hoods have reflective inner surfaces* while ALL of my plastic hoods (Pentax or Samyang brand...came with lens) do. I might also add that while generic "tulip" hoods might look cool, I would question their utility unless they are the dedicated version from the manufacturer.

Well, the same question is raised, so it deserves the same answer
You make good points, though.

Oh, and while the RH-RA 52might no longer be available as new, it can still be used to search for knockoffs on places like ebay
02-26-2014, 07:21 PM   #10
Pentaxian

It seems like the lack of hood bayonets (or something to compensate, like the old rectangular hoods for some of the SMCT wide-angle lenses, which had locking rings) is a significant design defect, and also an unwise marketing decision. Although there are some clone hoods for the most popular bayonet models, at least the manufacturer stands a better chance of selling a wildly overpriced dedicated bayonet hood, vs. a much more easily substituted filter thread hood.
02-27-2014, 07:09 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Oh one more thing, I think there are filters that have no glass elements, but they have a bayonet fitting on the outside. You can try finding one of those, but I'm not sure what they are called. I heard about them somewhere on this forum and it seems like a smart solution
04-15-2014, 06:51 AM   #12

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies.. I got a JJC lens hood, RH-RA52 . It`s very cheap and it does it`s job well. I`m not complaining at $12