Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 01:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Where to sell vintage cameras?

I friend of mine's father died, and I have been tasked with finding homes for all the camera gear. (Not, alas, Pentax, so I am not expanding my lens collection.) The 35mm cameras and lenses can probably be sold to local photography students, since they require film cameras at the local college.

However, the collection includes an old Tower Twin Reflex 27 camera and it has all the accessories: flash (with bulbs!), lens filters, original cases and even the manual. It would be a nice package for a collector -- not particularly valuable I don't think, but more than the sum of its parts.

I don't want to do eBay -- with no reputation I am unlikely to attract serious buyers. Google is not helping. Are there forums or other places vintage camera fans congregate that might be interested?

02-26-2014, 02:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This forum has a marketplace. And there is keh.com maybe.
02-26-2014, 02:51 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Here is another possibility if they want to sell the whole thing in one move.

https://www.collectiblecameras.com/
02-26-2014, 03:51 PM   #4

Location: Jessica Lake, Whiteshell Provincial Park, or Winnipeg Manitoba, Canada
Antique stores might be interested. They won't give you top dollar as thay have overheads to cover and to consider how long the items will stay on their shelves. A local auction house might be able to help, but the only amount they can guarantee is the percentage rate they will take as a fee.

02-26-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the ideas!
02-27-2014, 08:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I have a box of these brownie cameras.
Are they worth anything?
02-27-2014, 08:41 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
I have a box of these brownie cameras.
Are they worth anything?
Maybe to a collector of Kodak cameras. Otherwise, no.

Just search for Brownie on shopgoodwill.com...

shopgoodwill.com -- Search Results

They aren't even of much interest to Lomo shooters because it's hard to use 120 roll film in them...

02-27-2014, 09:03 AM   #8
Veteran Member

LOL at the prices looks like my daughter gets more cool "real" stuff to play with.
02-27-2014, 09:08 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by condor27596 Quote
LOL at the prices looks like my daughter gets more cool "real" stuff to play with.
I used to play with a Brownie when I was a kid
02-27-2014, 09:23 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I had a real old camera when I was a kid. (No film, mind you!) Had a blast taking pretend photos. I have no idea what kind it was; I only remember I had to look down in it but I don't think it was tall like a twin lens reflex.

I just noticed Etsy has quite a few vintage cameras. I have a store there; it might be worth a try.
03-01-2014, 03:19 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Thread moved. The General Talk section you posted in is for non-photography related subjects.
03-03-2014, 09:42 PM   #12

Nicole, Etsy might be a good place to sell vintage cameras if you price them right. I've bought a couple there myself, but I wouldn't pay more for one there than I would pay KEH. Take a look at KEH and CollectibleCameras to get an idea of prices for the different types of cameras and their conditions. And make sure you describe the condition accurately and provide clear, detailed photos if you want to attract knowledgeable buyers.