Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2014, 07:25 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Still on the Panorama

this is the result of 6 wide angle shots. I have not looked at the 70ml or wide angle brackets yet. However I need about 16 shots on the 70ml and that is just too long and narrow. When you say take rows do you mean take two verticle shots in each frame; as in top of picture to bottom?
I am quite pleased with this image, even though it tends to be a tad brighter to the left. I would love some clouds though, but friend does not want.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
02-26-2014, 08:42 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, 2 rows of 7 in portrait orientation would be like this, but overlapping, of course:

[][][][][][][]
[][][][][][][]

Your shot came out pretty nice. I like the reflection on the water. Of course clouds would be better, like you say. But some people can't be persuaded!

Perhaps you could pull even a little more brightness and shadow detail out of the right side of the photo? I think that would improve it, although it's already pretty good.
02-26-2014, 08:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
OK I see what you mean. I think I would be hard pushed to do that with my tri-pod. I was nearly standing on my head by the time I got to the boardwalk. I over lapped at least 1/3 on these shots. Yes I think you are right I shall have a fiddle with shadows. Thanks for the comments: I took heed of all advice here and am really quite pleased as it was a hard ask given the angle.

---------- Post added 02-26-2014 at 09:10 PM ----------

I have just noticed that when I bring this picture up larger there seem to be striations across the image? Any idea what that might be, and can I get rid of it?
02-26-2014, 10:00 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by trishytee Quote
I am quite pleased with this image, even though it tends to be a tad brighter to the left. I would love some clouds though, but friend does not want.
That is probably natural polarization of the sky, because your pano is so wide.

I have just noticed that when I bring this picture up larger there seem to be striations across the image? Any idea what that might be, and can I get rid of it?
JPEG compression, and/or downsizing the image to forum posting size. The blues are really close together, but not quite similar. The compression algorithm really wants to see values that are the same, so it can compress the file. When you choose a lower-quality output, it forces the values to be similar, then happily makes the file really small. Just be careful with downsizing and compression.

I had the same two issues today. I used a fisheye lens at 10mm so the field of view included sky in very different angles to the sun, so I got uneven color. And I saved the file in CS5 at quality level 8, which I thought was good enough. At 12 it looks fine.

02-26-2014, 10:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

As long as your original images were from the RAW file, you should be OK. Just save as the Maximum quality JPEG (level 12 if in Photoshop, as Dave said) when you're done processing.

A typical JPEG is going to be 8 bits per pixel, and your RAW file is probably 12 (if you're using the K-m). So the JPEG will have only 256 levels of blue, allowing you to see the banding, while the original RAW files would have 4096 levels, rendering smooth gradations. For printing, especially if at 60 x 30 (was that in inches?) the banding could potentially show up again unless you print directly from Photoshop or save as a TIFF.
02-27-2014, 04:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Well that all sounds ok. Sometimes I wish I could send chocolates through here. I have just redone the image and saved as a tiff. No banding. I tried resaving the one I posted but that didn't work, so I now have a bit of polishing to do and hopefully it will print well. OH, and I love the fish eye pic. Now lets hope Mr fussy pants wants a print of this.
thanks for all the help