Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-27-2014, 08:53 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
what is this lens-related accessory ring?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

As I have been culling unused equipment to put on the marketplace, I came across this ring, which I cannot identify for the life of me. It is not a coupling ring, a lens adapter ring, a Cokin-related ring (as far as I can tell). Aside from the photos below, here's a description: black, plastic, looks to be 49mm threaded on the side that screws onto a lens (?) but does not appear to be threaded on the other end. It's almost as if it is designed for something to rest inside the other end. There are no identifying marks at all. I'm sure I knew at one time what this was....

Help! Does anyone know the name of this creature? I'd like to sell it, along with some other equipment but don't know how to list it.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
02-27-2014, 09:02 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Half of a polarizing filter is my guess. The free-spinning polarizer ring is missing.
02-27-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
Forum Member

Looks like a filter which has had the lens removed to me...
02-27-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Lens hood for a really, really wide-angle lens?

02-27-2014, 09:35 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Prime candidate for metal recycling.

Steve
02-27-2014, 10:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Let me repeat: this is plastic. I have never owned (nor would I ever have owned) a filter with a plastic ring. No, this is something else.
02-27-2014, 10:14 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Stepper ring? to go from a 56-58mm threading?

02-27-2014, 10:39 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Possibly part of something like this?

Matin M5930 Plastic Camera Lens Hood 49mm Can Be Equiiped Backwards | eBay
02-27-2014, 10:53 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Not a step-up or step-down ring (which I keep separately from this item), since one side is not threaded. Also, I have never owned a plastic step ring, only metal (such as some I will soon be selling on the Marketplace).

I considered the possibility that this was part of a lens hood but dismissed it for these reasons: I do not remember owning a plastic-ringed lens hood (the one I am presently selling on the Marketplace has a metal ring), the outside of the ring is ribbed instead of notched for a hood to attach, there is no evidence of glue or any other way of attaching a hood to this ring, and I have the vaguest of memories that this ring was one separable part of some equipment. I can't rule out lens-hood-part completely, but I'm fairly sure it's not that.

I also considered that it might have something to do with reversing a lens, but all I can ever remember using there was a male-male coupling ring (also all metal).

Could it somehow be part of a bellows set? I had one years ago in film days....
02-27-2014, 11:54 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Are you certain it is camera related - it might just be a decorative trim element for the end of any kind of a tube. It might be a default trim piece that is removed and replaced by hood or extension lens, such as on the end of a VHS-era Video Camera (remember the shoulder-mounted Sony and Panansonic cameras we had in the 80's?).
02-27-2014, 02:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
While I cannot be certain it is photographic equipment, it was with my camera stuff, it has a 49mm thread on one side, it is flat black, and my admittedly vague memory is that it was in some way connected with a piece of photographic equipment.

No to bellows?
02-27-2014, 02:15 PM   #12
Veteran Member

part of a slide or film holder? I'd think a bellows would have had something to grip so it doesn't slide off, no?
04-07-2014, 12:32 PM   #13

At one time you could purchase these rings in a set of two and they were used to make your own filters out of black construction paper and the like... I remember using them for a soft focus filter with a pair of panty hose stretched across them.. With a hole in the middle.
04-08-2014, 05:36 AM   #14
Banned

Looks like a broken filter. Doubt you'd be able to sell it as it appears to have absolutely no purpose. Just chuck it!