Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-01-2014, 08:30 AM   #1
Forum Member

Dropped K5 - F-- Error

Yes, I know I'm not supposed to drop my expensive camera, but I did have an accident.

None of my lenses click into place, so I'm sure that I've damaged something, The question is how bad and what needs to be done.

What should I expect if I send it in to be repaired?

I think I have buyer protection on my Credit Card for accidents like this - that may be the best solution...

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

03-01-2014, 08:43 AM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

Can you take a picture of the lens mount so we can see what happened there?
03-01-2014, 08:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Silly question is your lens set to A?

JJ
03-01-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

If your lens don't click into place more than likely the lens mount flange on the body is bent. Send it in for an estimate. You can pick up a K5 for quite reasonable right now.

03-01-2014, 08:55 AM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
If your lens don't click into place more than likely the lens mount flange on the body is bent. Send it in for an estimate. You can pick up a K5 for quite reasonable right now.
Ironically mines for sale shameless plug...

JJ
03-01-2014, 11:40 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gemvision Quote
I think I have buyer protection on my Credit Card for accidents like this - that may be the best solution...
By all means take advantage of it. The sooner you send it in, the sooner you'll get it back. Do it today.
03-01-2014, 01:50 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster

Here's the picture. Can anyone see what the problem is?

Any ideas how expensive it might be to fix?

It fell about 4 feet onto concrete - so I'm concerned about all the delicate innards along with the mount issue.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-ZS3  Photo 
03-01-2014, 02:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Well it does look tweaked just looking at the recessed screw heads...I'll send a pic of mine to compare...

JJ

03-01-2014, 02:53 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
That would be helpful!!!

QuoteOriginally posted by jerryleejr Quote
Well it does look tweaked just looking at the recessed screw heads...I'll send a pic of mine to compare...

JJ
03-01-2014, 02:59 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Here ya go...

03-01-2014, 03:09 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Humm, I may have fixed it. The "F--" error is gone and it is taking pictures again. I suppose some of the innards might still be out of whack. Any ideas about a way to test things out for sure????

I unscrewed the mount and took it off to let the lens fixing pin fit back into the hole. See photo attached. If this thing has had no other "damage" I'm gonna be even more excited about my new camera!!!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
DMC-ZS3  Photo 
03-01-2014, 03:40 PM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Here are a couple of sample photos taken post - drop using the auto focus. Other than color-balance and exposure setting when I certainly messed-up, I think she'll live to photo another day!

This first shot is focused on the wire - not necessarily my intention - but at least it seems sharp. DFA 100mm Macro.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-01-2014, 03:51 PM   #13
Emperor and Senpai

Yep, looking good. Be careful next time!
03-02-2014, 07:04 AM   #14
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm slow to the party on this one - when I looked at @Gemvision's first photo of the mount, the first thing I noticed was the locking pin and AF screw were retracted. The MF switch retracts the AF screw, but the only way to retract the locking pin is using the lens release.

The mount is pretty stable - has to be stable - on both the camera and lenses. The fact that it loosened or twisted is not a good sign. It makes me suspicious that the screws are not really holding the mount stable. If you have some form of replacement insurance, it is probably worthwhile to send your camera in for inspection while such insurance is still in force.
03-02-2014, 07:32 AM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
The mount is pretty stable - has to be stable - on both the camera and lenses. The fact that it loosened or twisted is not a good sign. It makes me suspicious that the screws are not really holding the mount stable. If you have some form of replacement insurance, it is probably worthwhile to send your camera in for inspection while such insurance is still in force.
Thanks Jim Johnson. I've been wondering about that. Actually, the screw between the locking pin and the red dot is stripped. The rest of the screws are holding fine. I'm also concerned about the weather Resistance. Can they test that the way they test watches????

Where is the best place to send the camera for inspection? How long should I expect the inspection process to take? And do repairs take a long time?

I must admit I'm very impressed with the build quality. I thought the entire camera was history the moment it hit the concrete.