Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 01:07 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A digital photography neophyte.

Greetings fellow Pentaxians. I need help in determining a good Pentax digital camera for a beginner namely, (My wife).

She had a Nikon Coolpix that came with a twelve month warranty. She used it approximately three times within eleven months and it needed repair. We mailed to Nikon's repair facility and they refused to repair it, citing it was my wife's fault. (Imagine my surprise.)
They did not say how, just that it was. So, I am trying to bring her up to something a little more sophisticated, but being a die hard film photographer, I do not know what to suggest to her, although I would like to see her move up to a Pentax DSLR without having to take a second mortgage out on my house. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony

03-02-2014, 01:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Greetings fellow Pentaxians. I need help in determining a good Pentax digital camera for a beginner namely, (My wife).

She had a Nikon Coolpix that came with a twelve month warranty. She used it approximately three times within eleven months and it needed repair. We mailed to Nikon's repair facility and they refused to repair it, citing it was my wife's fault. (Imagine my surprise.)
They did not say how, just that it was. So, I am trying to bring her up to something a little more sophisticated, but being a die hard film photographer, I do not know what to suggest to her, although I would like to see her move up to a Pentax DSLR without having to take a second mortgage out on my house. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Tony
I have a K-30 and it's been everything I want a camera to be. And you can get them for pretty cheap in the US, because they were recently discontinued and replaced with the K-50 which is pretty much the same camera. So that would be my suggestion, though I'm sure you'll have a lot of people with different suggestions for you.
03-02-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Pentaxian

She had a Nikon Coolpix that came with a twelve month warranty. She used it approximately three times within eleven months and it needed repair.
If she only used it 3 times in 11 months, are you sure she'd use a DSLR more?

It seems an MX-1 would be the best bet. Great price right now.

But Pentax makes probably the best entry level DSLRs out there, with good user controls. So any of them - K-30, K-500, or K-50, would be good. The only major drawback of the K-500 is it doesn't light up the focus point in the viewfinder.

Whichever you buy, get it with the DA18-135 lens. It has a broad zoom range, WR, and good image quality - significantly better than the DA18-55 and DA50-200 kit lenses. If you want her to get interested in using a DSLR, I think that lens is definitely the way to go.
03-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
If she only used it 3 times in 11 months, are you sure she'd use a DSLR more?

Whichever you buy, get it with the DA18-135 lens. It has a broad zoom range, WR, and good image quality - significantly better than the DA18-55 and DA50-200 kit lenses. If you want her to get interested in using a DSLR, I think that lens is definitely the way to go.
I agree, are you sure she would actually use a camera?

And yes, I agree with the lens. My first lens and I absolutely love it - you can shoot a great range of photos with it.

03-02-2014, 01:41 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I think ausmoose is right on target. K-30 or K-50. While the missing features on the K-500 wouldn't bother me, I think that they're important enough features to make them worthwhile to go to the next model up. (AF indication light & weather sealing)

I will say that I used my entry level K-x like a giant point & shoot. And I didn't use it often. I've used my k-5ii more in 3 months than I had used my K-x in 4 years.
03-02-2014, 03:14 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-30
or
K-50
03-02-2014, 03:24 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

K-01 and use some of your glass, Tony?
03-02-2014, 03:38 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

What is she looking for size wise? I am guessing that since she kept the Nikon in her purse, it was not that large. The K30/50 and K-01 are substantially larger and therefore may not see that much use.

03-02-2014, 03:39 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
K-01 and use some of your glass, Tony?
Sheesh, how could I forget about the K-01 with a signature like that?
03-02-2014, 12:55 PM   #10
Pentaxian

After seeing this just a few threads back:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/136-pentax-q/253445-q7-berlin-day-night.html
I cannot help but to suggest the Q.
03-02-2014, 01:20 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Thanks,

Tony
Have you considered that she might not enjoy photography as a hobby? Not everybody wants to be "sophisticated." Lots of people are content with their phone cameras, and some pretty amazing pictures have been taken using some of the recent models.

There are all kinds of warranty battles described here on the site, including with Pentax, Sigma, Tamron, etc. I'm sure there are battles with Nikon and Canon described on forums for those brands. So I don't think I'd write off Nikon or Coolpix just due to that, although I understand it on a personal level (I've sort of written off Canon based on the FD debacle, for example, although that's more of a philosophical disagreement.) I'm guessing if the camera was fairly expensive you would have at least tried to get more of an explanation, assuming there was no physical damage to it, of course.
03-02-2014, 02:14 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for some very insightful information.

Tony