Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 11:10 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I still think I got a bargain, but...

Once again I turn to the folks at PF for their knowledge. I bought a 1St Dl with a DA 18-55 for $10 at a rummage sale yesterday. It was tagged "Broken". With fresh batteries in it, it turns on (It seems to take a fairly long time, 10 seconds at least, to come on.) but the screen displays "Memory card error". A check of the firmware shows Version 1. I downloaded the update but the camera won't accept it. I hooked the camera up to the computer with the USB cable and the computer shows a removable device but when I try to open the device folder I get a dialog box telling me to "insert a disk into the drive." Dragging and dropping the update file to the removable drive folder opens a box that says "copying ___ to ___" but after a second or two the "insert a disk into the drive" dialog box appears and nothing is moved to the memory card. Inserting the memory card directly into the computer instead of using the camera and USB cable allows me to copy the update file to the card but when I put the card into the camera and hold the menu button while turning the camera on, instead of beginning the update, the camera still displays "Memory card error". I've tried resetting the camera and tried several different memory cards. All SDHC and from 4 to 16 GB. The lens will focus by pressing the shutter release half way (The lens works fine on my K-r and K5II) but the shutter won't fire when fully pressed. Everything else seems to work. The E-dial will change the settings in the viewfinder and all the various modes can be changed. The flash will pop up and a momentary (red eye) light will flash but no shutter release. The camera is in like new condition but won't work because of the memory card error. I bought it for the $10 lens but a third Pentax body wouldn't hurt my feelings. Ideas? Suggestions? Is it even worth sending off for repairs? Thanks!

03-02-2014, 11:24 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Try using an older 1GB or 2GB card that is pre SDHC. the *ist line is before the extended disk file, and the current firmware in the camera is unable to read the newer disk format.

PS - I think you will find that it will work and I think that you found a bargain.

03-02-2014, 11:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

First off you'll need an old non SDHC SD card to put in the camera. It has no internal memory. I believe once you use a regular SD card and do the update it will support the newer SDHC cards. Good Luck!
03-02-2014, 11:26 AM   #4
Site Supporter

It probably has a memory card error.

Lol.

You could try opening it up and making sure the memory card ribbon connector is seated firmly. Don't shock yourself on the flash capacitor, you could literally die.

But try the smaller cards first.

03-02-2014, 12:19 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Agree with the SD cards The DL can not use a SDHC card till the upgrade is done. The DL is very picky on batteries also even down to brand sometimes. Mine works well with the coppertops and rechargeable coppertops but any others that I have tried last just a few shots till depleted Others In have talked to have had similar stories but the brand is different sometimes .
03-02-2014, 12:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter

If you need an old non sdhc card I have some.
03-03-2014, 09:13 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You got a bargain, and I think using the SD card should fix it. But just in case it doesn't, can I have the body? I'm sure it shares parts with the DS that I need to fix.

03-05-2014, 05:05 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Y'all are the best! Sorry for taking so long to update everyone. It took me a few days to find an SD card. ( And Thank You very much for the offer of a card, dansamy!) I knew I had some here but I have soo much junk that it took me a while to find them. So, I inserted the SD card and ta da! It worked. (Sorry, jhaji.) I updated the firmware and it takes SDHC cards now. So I went out night before last (The first break in the weather) and when I reviewed the images I was surprised at how many stars were visible. Then I realized that it was solid overcast. I discovered that the Noise Reduction has to be on for any exposures over about 1 second on the 1st DL. The noise, of course, increases with time and ISO but the noise reduction does a credible job.

Those aren't stars on the left edge.

10 second exposure at 3200 iso with NR off.

10 second exposure at 3200 iso with NR on.

30 second exposure at 3200 iso with NR off.

30 second exposure at 3200 iso with NR on.

30 second exposure at 200 iso with NR off.

30 second exposure at 200 iso with NR on.

So does it take good pictures?

DA 18-55

DA 18-55

Pentax A 28mm

Pentax F 100-300

I'm happy with my $10 camera. Thanks again to all of you!
03-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Bargain of the century dude!
03-06-2014, 05:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

$$$jackpot$$$