Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2014, 03:11 PM   #1

I May be in Trouble

My new Q series was working fine until I messed with the settings to try Bulb for night shots. This was in M mode.
Today, I set the camera back to Auto for a canoe trip. All of the photos turned out in black & white with red highlights. So I consulted the manual to do a factory default reset. After the reset, I still get only black & white with red highlights.
Is there a work-around or did I manage somehow to ruin my camera?

03-02-2014, 03:21 PM - 1 Like   #2

Photos: Gallery
Something you could try is to remove the battery for a day or so. Should bring your settings back to default.
cheers,
d
03-02-2014, 03:25 PM   #3
Pentaxian

How long was your long exposure? I'd hate to be right but it looks like a burnt sensor to me... I don't know how fragile the Q sensor is but this is not unheard of. Sensor do get very hot, normally the camera will shut off though... This is why you cannot do long ass videos with a DSLR
03-02-2014, 03:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
dermc,
I'll try that. You never know, it might just work.
fgaudet,
Truth is, I was not able to get the shutter to trip in Bulb mode, try as I may. After my first attempt, I hit playback and no image was recorded. So I went back to the manual, tried some other settings and failed to get an exposure with two more attempts. Then I gave up and set the dial back to Auto, figuring I'd hit the forums to find out what I'm doing wrong.
Any ideas would be immensely appreciated.
Thanks, guys.
Bud

03-02-2014, 04:15 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Ok then, burnt sensor it is probably not

Next step would be any built-in digital filter, could be set to Extract Color (I think the default is Monochrome + Red). This should get reset with a Factory reset but take a second and look in the menus.

It's under Camera Menu 1, the second item. Should be set to OFF
03-02-2014, 05:02 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks, fgaudet, I really do appreciate your help. I just checked and the digital filter is set to OFF.
And something else I just realized...even the image in the monitor screen (capture mode) is black/white/red. How's that for a conundrum?
I'm starting to get one of those sinking feelings.
Any insight?
03-02-2014, 05:08 PM   #7
Pentaxian

And we're back to a burnt sensor, looks like the Green and Blue channels aren't working, never saw that happening on a quality camera, usually it happens on crappy ebay dash cam or $3 point and shoot made in China... But I'm no expert. Probably time for a trip to the camera store for a check-up. After trying a full reset like Dermc suggested.
03-02-2014, 05:42 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks again, fg. I'll try leaving the battery out for 24 hours but I don't have very high hopes.
I bought the camera online (Amazon?) about two months ago and I notice the warranty is for a year.
Unfortunately (not really), I'm on vacation in Florida and won't be back to Michigan until early April so I can't really do anything about it until then. My receipt and registration info are back home.
But fortunately (yes really), I have a back-up camera (Lumix) with me. That should get me through.
Bummer!
Peace,
Bud

03-02-2014, 09:42 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Have you check the front dial? You havent accidentally turned it have you? Maybe thats the issue?
03-03-2014, 06:44 AM   #10

Original Poster
You, sir/madam, are a genius! That's it, that's it, that's it!!!
I turned the knob back and the problem was solved. I don't know what to say...you should be awarded a medal.
This makes me realize that I have no business flirting with modern technology. It's experiences like this that make us older folks wary and weary.
Best advise? Don't touch that button!
I pine for my old K1000 "match-needle" where there were only three adjustments; f-stop, shutter speed, and focus. Yep, those were the days...
Thank you, jezza. You've made my day. I'll leave that button alone from now on!
And thanks to the rest of you, too. Folks like you make this world a better place.
Much Gratitude,
Bud
03-03-2014, 07:06 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Hahaha, nice.

Sometimes it's the stupidest things Glad to hear that your Q isn't broken after all. It's odd though that it did show digital filter OFF ... One dial to rule them all!!!
03-03-2014, 08:09 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I made that mistake once with the front dial - and got a stunning image by total mistake - I'll have to upload that here.
03-03-2014, 10:39 AM - 1 Like   #13

Original Poster
Ya, funny how that sometimes happens. Unbeknownst to me, the whole "roll" was shot in Unicolor Bold because I couldn't really see the digital monitor in the bright sunlight. That's my only beef with the Pentax Q - no viewfinder!
Nonetheless, a few of the photos were passable. I'll try to upload one from the roll.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Q10  Photo 
03-03-2014, 11:10 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If nothing else maybe you can convert them to full B&W or play around with sepia tones etc. and get a different look.
03-03-2014, 11:12 AM   #15

ahhh! and the sea was read with blood..... This is why I am scared to go from my k-1000 to a k-50 ! Who know what I would trigger? zombies, UFO attacks? well, that would fun to take photos of. You fixed it with some help. Don't give up! DF Duran.