Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 06:03 AM   #16
Forum Member

Durable camera, manual controls, lightweight (including lens), for personal photographs - I was just about to refer you to Olympus or Fujifilm (top quality build, great sensors - particularly Fuji - great glass, extremely creative functions/filters, amazing portability). But then I got to this astrophotoghraphy bit. Well, Pentax is outstanding with astrophotography, you know, partly thanks to its in-body stabilisation. When you acquire and attach to Pentax camera the dedicated so called "astrotracer", you will be given much more control over sky at night exposures. That's an advantage over other systems

03-05-2014, 08:58 AM   #17

To start with Pentax, maybe the K-50 should be a nicer option comparing it with the K-30, it's newer and it may have less issues than the K-30
03-05-2014, 08:11 PM   #18
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I'll add a few more 2 Cents. If you haven't been to Europe before, they use a different electrical system. You'll need an adapter for the battery charger. A plus for the Pentax is that all the DSLRs can use AA batteries. (Some need an adapter for the AA batteries but the adapters are available and worth the cost..) But AAs are a readily available standard. Instead of extra camera batteries, charger, adapter for the charger, etc you can just pick up AAs almost anywhere as needed. (One of the points that sold me on the Pentax was the ability to use readily available batteries.) If you want to do astrophotography only the Pentaxes ( K-r, K-5, K5II, K-5IIs, and the K-3) can use the O-GPS1, also called 'Astrotracer'. pentax-o-gps1 There's also some terrific lenses available for the Pentaxes. Vivitar makes a 24mm f2 and a 28mm f2 that are good for night photography and rather inexpensive. (Those lenses were also sold under the Kiron brand) The variety and low cost of available lenses that the Pentax can use was another big factor in why I chose Pentaxes. (1st DL, K-r, and K-5II)
03-06-2014, 06:08 AM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
If you want to do astrophotography only the Pentaxes ( K-r, K-5, K5II, K-5IIs, and the K-3) can use the O-GPS1, also called 'Astrotracer'. pentax-o-gps1
According to my K50 manual and the K30 manual and in the camera menu settings, the O-GPS1 shows as being a functional accessory option on these two cameras also. I think the Ricoh web site camera listing for this accessory hasn't been updated to include these.

Using the GPS Unit
The following functions are available when the optional GPS unit O-GPS1is attached to this camera.
Electronic Compass
Displays the latitude,
longitude, altitude of the
current location, lens
direction and Coordinated Universal
Time (UTC) in standby mode.

ASTROTRACER
Tracks and captures celestial bodies. By matching the
movement of the camera’s built-in shake reduction unit
with the movement of celestial bodies, celestial bodies
can be captured as individual points even when shooting
with a long exposure setting. (p.270)

GPS Time Sync Automatically adjusts the camera’s date and time
settings using information acquired from GPS satellites.
• Refer to the manual of the GPS unit for details on how to attach the unit and
information on the unit’s functions.
• To display the electronic compass, press the M button twice in standby
mode and select [Electronic Compass] from the standby mode display
selection screen. (p.29)
“Simple Navigation” cannot be used with this camera.

03-08-2014, 12:06 AM   #20
mee
Veteran Member

I'd skip the K-3, K-5 II, and K-5 as they are much heavier than say a K-30 or K-50. While it might seem somewhat negligible switching between the two in a moment, it is much easier to notice the heft if carrying the camera around in your hand for a couple of hours. That is, if lightweight is absolutely a priority.

Why'd you give up the Canon? What do you feel you'd gain with a Pentax camera?
03-19-2014, 08:28 PM   #21
Inactive Account

I don't understand why you can't use your canon to take pictures of wildlife
04-21-2014, 04:02 AM   #22

I'm new to the forum and am looking into buying a pentax. my choices are down to the k50 or the older k5 as I can get them at similar prices, has anyone owned both that can share their opinions on which is the better choice? I currently own a canon 600d and am not impressed with anything that offers so hoping one either the k5 or k50 will be a good upgrade

04-21-2014, 04:08 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by silver2789 Quote
I'm new to the forum and am looking into buying a pentax. my choices are down to the k50 or the older k5 as I can get them at similar prices, has anyone owned both that can share their opinions on which is the better choice? I currently own a canon 600d and am not impressed with anything that offers so hoping one either the k5 or k50 will be a good upgrade
I'd be happy with a Canon 600D most of the time, as long as I had L glass to use it with. What Canon lenses do you have (or had), and what lens(es) were you planning to use with Pentax?

For that matter, what kind of shooting are you doing?

The direct answer is that both the K-50 and K-5 are good, as is the 600D. What have been the 600D's shortcomings for you?
04-21-2014, 04:46 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by gifthorse Quote
I'll add a few more 2 Cents. If you haven't been to Europe before, they use a different electrical system. You'll need an adapter for the battery charger. A plus for the Pentax is that all the DSLRs can use AA batteries. (Some need an adapter for the AA batteries but the adapters are available and worth the cost..) But AAs are a readily available standard. Instead of extra camera batteries, charger, adapter for the charger, etc you can just pick up AAs almost anywhere as needed. (One of the points that sold me on the Pentax was the ability to use readily available batteries.) If you want to do astrophotography only the Pentaxes ( K-r, K-5, K5II, K-5IIs, and the K-3) can use the O-GPS1, also called 'Astrotracer'. pentax-o-gps1 There's also some terrific lenses available for the Pentaxes. Vivitar makes a 24mm f2 and a 28mm f2 that are good for night photography and rather inexpensive. (Those lenses were also sold under the Kiron brand) The variety and low cost of available lenses that the Pentax can use was another big factor in why I chose Pentaxes. (1st DL, K-r, and K-5II)
I am surprised to learn that AAs can be used with any Pentax DSLR. I have never heard of an adapter available for that purpose. The only way I knew AAs could be used is by means of a battery grip with an extra tray to accommodate AAs. Can you clarify your comments on this matter?
04-21-2014, 07:05 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Ivan, the K-r, K30, K500, and K50 has an "AA" battery adapter that fits into it's regular OEM lithium battery recess/hole.
The battery recess of these camera models are actually molded after the configuration of 4 "AA" batteries in an "L" configuration.
The longer part of the "L" conforms to 3 "AA" batteries in a row or the width of the proprietary lithium battery.

I was going to upload a photo but it would seem that I no longer can't, even if I resized the photo to only 56KB.

I also noticed that I have been demoted in my status here as I was already a "Pentaxian" with more than 2,000 posts but am back again to being a "veteran" member. Maybe that contributes to the reason that I can't even attach a photo.

Just google K-R or K30, K500, or K50 "AA" battery adapter Ivan.

Sorry I can't help with a photo illustration.
04-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GerryL Quote
Ivan, the K-r, K30, K500, and K50 has an "AA" battery adapter that fits into it's regular OEM lithium battery recess/hole.
The battery recess of these camera models are actually molded after the configuration of 4 "AA" batteries in an "L" configuration.
The longer part of the "L" conforms to 3 "AA" batteries in a row or the width of the proprietary lithium battery.

I was going to upload a photo but it would seem that I no longer can't, even if I resized the photo to only 56KB.

I also noticed that I have been demoted in my status here as I was already a "Pentaxian" with more than 2,000 posts but am back again to being a "veteran" member. Maybe that contributes to the reason that I can't even attach a photo.

Just google K-R or K30, K500, or K50 "AA" battery adapter Ivan.

Sorry I can't help with a photo illustration.
Thank you for this information. I have owned K-10, K-20, K-7, K-5II, and K-01, so never experienced any of the models with this convenient feature. I wonder how Pentax designers decided which models would receive this feature and which would not.
04-22-2014, 03:24 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Ivan, I'm guessing that all the models that can accommodate a separate battery grip, (since battery grip can have an AA adapter too) where not given the AA battery adapter option in-body, hence the models K10D, K20D, K7, K5 variants and the K3..as for the K01, it was supposed to be a competitor for the other mirrorless brands so to keep it small, the hand grip wasn't made deep, so can't be given the configuration of the "L" AA battery adapter (to fit the deep grip), but the K01 was given the higher capacity battery of the K7 and K5 series to compensate for this.
Much like the entry level or mid-level Pentax DSLR's like the K100D series was given the AA batteries.
The K30 and K50 would have been ideal if it was made like the K200D which was WR which also accommodated a battery grip.
Maybe the next model K70(?) would be modeled after the K200D and would have a separate proprietary battery grip much like the Pentax flagships.
04-25-2014, 01:46 AM   #28
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kobalt Quote
General nature (since I'm traveling)
Wide-lens photography
Astrophotography
Personal photos

CAMERA SPECS:

Manual controls, but wouldn't mind automatic/P&S options
LIGHTWEIGHT - I want to take this thing everywhere! *This includes lens weight*
Durable
I have the K-5 with 18-135mm WR lens, a very verstile lens. The K-5 is a fantastic camera, but if you can, get the the K-5iis because it is 8% sharper and can autofocus in less light. The only problem relates to my combo's weight around my neck. As a tourist you'll be walking around a lot and taking photos for hours, and my combo gets heavy (surprisingly), because you wouldn't think such a small combo would. I'm not a skinny and weedy guy, I'm pretty fit, so I'd tell you to get a "Black Rapid" (or generic) camera strap which takes the weight off of your neck. A K-5 or iis or K-3 is the best, but they can get a bit heavy over extended periods of shooting - like 3 hours of hiking and shooting.
04-25-2014, 05:30 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by zoolander Quote
I have the K-5 with 18-135mm WR lens, a very verstile lens. The K-5 is a fantastic camera, but if you can, get the the K-5iis because it is 8% sharper and can autofocus in less light. The only problem relates to my combo's weight around my neck. As a tourist you'll be walking around a lot and taking photos for hours, and my combo gets heavy (surprisingly), because you wouldn't think such a small combo would. I'm not a skinny and weedy guy, I'm pretty fit, so I'd tell you to get a "Black Rapid" (or generic) camera strap which takes the weight off of your neck. A K-5 or iis or K-3 is the best, but they can get a bit heavy over extended periods of shooting - like 3 hours of hiking and shooting.
Yes, definitely look for a sling strap - hanging at your side is much more comfortable. It's much more secure as well, slung across the body. You won't even notice the weight of the K5 18-135 combo on a comfy sling strap.
Joby makes some, I have a Lens Loop.
04-25-2014, 04:10 PM   #30
Pentaxian

It seems like a lot of these posts have gotten a little ahead of themselves, without the OP explaining in what respect he feels he needs an upgrade from the existing camera. I'm not a huge Canon fan, but "not impressed with anything" a 600d offers seems pretty demanding. While I'd choose a Pentax over a Canon generally, the Canon has some features that no Pentax offers, and a greater assortment of lenses (particularly newer 3rd party offerings.) So, depending on what the OP does with the camera, any "upgrade" might be kind of marginal.