Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 11:54 AM   #1

[KX] Need guidance to...

hi guys!

So here's the situation:
1.dropped my KX. As far as I can tell, LCD is broken/won't display.
2.can shoot automatic.
3.I shoot fully manual through viewfinder display.
4.i click arrows blindly to change ISO. (this works fine. i've tested 100 200 400 800 etc..)
5.i got a 50mm f1.7 manual lens that is working, but I can't use it. (lcd broken)
6.the f-stop in viewfinder flashes "f--"
7.can't seem to navigate to settings to allow manual-lenses.

And here's my question:
1. how can I reach the settings thatll allow me to shoot with a manual lens? (i've tried depicting how many up arrow, left arrows, and down arrows to click... didn't seem to work)
2. how do i set the focal length? (the one that shows up on startup. i've looked at the kx manual and tried to make sure i reached the very left, then clicked right arrow until it should be at 50mm)

and here's a photo of my frnd that i took (edited DNG) after dropping it... (broken LCD :'( ).. so I'm assuming it still functions correctly :/

thanks in advance !!!

Attached Images

03-03-2014, 12:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Try the software PKtether to change your settings... Not very handy or practical but at least it'll get you shooting. With A or K lens, you'll need to tether each time you power on your camera to enter the focal length... unless you keep SR off and don't mind the focal length to be wrong in the EXIF.
03-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #3

Original Poster
OOOOH theres a tether for it? does it come with package? I shall look into it!! Thanks so much!!
03-03-2014, 02:10 PM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by nivek535 Quote
OOOOH theres a tether for it? does it come with package? I shall look into it!! Thanks so much!!
Don't get too excited. Only runs on Windows, it's very limited in functionality and it has some quirks. But this being said, it's free, useful and it's the only option Pentaxian have

Google it, it's not a software from a big player, it's the work of a single guy who wanted to tether his Kx (Tomasz Kos).

03-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Don't get too excited. Only runs on Windows, it's very limited in functionality and it has some quirks. But this being said, it's free, useful and it's the only option Pentaxian have

Google it, it's not a software from a big player, it's the work of a single guy who wanted to tether his Kx (Tomasz Kos).
does debug mode give me access to the entire menu? if it does, i think thatll be good enough for me haha thanks again XD
03-03-2014, 09:17 PM   #6

Original Poster
BUMP!
unfortunately i can't access the menu :'(!!!!!!!! what should i do
03-03-2014, 09:21 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nivek535 Quote
BUMP!
unfortunately i can't access the menu :'(!!!!!!!! what should i do
Buy a new or used camera. Repairs will be significant.
03-03-2014, 09:35 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
Buy a new or used camera. Repairs will be significant.
i already have a new one... just trying to allow this one to shoot on a manual lens :'(....

03-03-2014, 09:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Well I don't know... it was a long shot to try pktether
03-03-2014, 09:48 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
Well I don't know... it was a long shot to try pktether
ok thank you for the help though !
03-05-2014, 12:51 PM   #11

Konami code for enabling/Disabling K-x Manual Lense usage:
Shutter halfpress, Menu, Left, Down, Right, Down, Ok

Setting Focal length to 50mm:
Turn on camera, press button left 35 times(to get correct starting position), press right 12 times, press ok. Setting is saved so no need for this every time :-)
03-05-2014, 04:26 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by basditz Quote
Konami code for enabling/Disabling K-x Manual Lense usage:
Shutter halfpress, Menu, Left, Down, Right, Down, Ok

Setting Focal length to 50mm:
Turn on camera, press button left 35 times(to get correct starting position), press right 12 times, press ok. Setting is saved so no need for this every time :-)

Yay! But nay but yay! Thanks for the response. I actually did exactly those before from looking at manual and depicting it.. doesnt seemto work soiguess ibroke more than the lcd. Thanks a lotthough! But i did managae to get it to work withmy manual lens by taping the mount sensors so
It thinkd imshooting without a lens D. Somehow that works... Dont see why the option is necessary :P! Thx again!!