Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 12:16 PM   #1

Pentax K-3 and Sigma EF-610 Super Flash?

Sigma EF-610 DG Super Flash + Pentax K-3

Will they work wirelessly together? Are they compatible? Is it worth it? Any tips? Anyone use these together? Thanks in advance!

New to using flash, new to Pentax as well!

03-03-2014, 01:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
depends on what you mean "wirelessly". neither one has a built in wireless receiver or transmitter. you can use the flash in the K-3 to trigger the Sigma or you could buy a third party transmitter and receiver to allow them to communicate. Personally I actually have the 610 Super and I regret buying it. It is because I mostly use it off camera (as you seem to intend to do) which means you are probably not going to get to use any of the automatic functionality, hi speed sync etc which are built into the flash and you are paying for them. Besides manual flash seems so much more useful as your results are always consistent shot to shot. For half the price of the 610 you could buy 2 vivitar 285hv and reciever and transmitter for them. I would go for this:
http://www.amazon.com/CowboyStudio-NPT-04-Speelights-extra-receiver/dp/B005I...receiver+flash
In retrospect, this is what I would do if I had to do it all over again.
03-03-2014, 01:44 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can't see why it wouldn't work wirelessly together. The triggering system is optical, not radio. It relies on the built in flash on the camera, or other connected master controller, to trigger the slave flash to go off in sync with the shutter on the camera. This is the same for all optically equipped wireless flashes, including most other Sigma flashes of the 'Super' designation, as well as Pentax's own FGZ series flashes. You will have to sync the flash with the camera on the hotshoe in wireless flash mode prior to taking the flash off for wireless control. This should all be explained in the flash's (and the K-3's) operating manual.

I've moved the thread to the beginner's section as it may get more appropriate exposure there.
03-03-2014, 11:24 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by oxidized Quote
which means you are probably not going to get to use any of the automatic functionality, hi speed sync etc which are built into the flash and you are paying for them
You need two external flashes (one on the camera, one remotely) to be able to use remote HSS. This even applies to e.g. the AF540. I don't have the 610 Super and haven't gotten to use other functions of the AF540 so can't judge which other functions you might be complaining about.

03-05-2014, 01:44 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the K-30, but it should be the same on the K-3, and the Sigma EF-610DG Super .... off-camera P-TTL wireless works fine. I trigger it with the body's built-in flash. The only thing, as noted above, that won't work wirelessly is HSS. And that is a limitation of the built-in flash and not the Sigma flash.

The only criticism of the Sigma flash is that the settings are not as intuitive as Pentax's P-TTL flashes. I always open up BOTH the flash AND the camera manuals to figure out seldom used advanced flash settings.