Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2014, 10:13 PM   #1

Changing Settings Through SD Card

hi guys... i was wondering if anyone would miraculously know how to change settings in the menu by maybe writing a file into the SD card (like a firmware update would work) to change default settings such as...
Shake Reduction = 0
Shoot with manual lens = 2
shoot RAW = 0
etc... thanks :'(

reason: i dropped my kx, LCD pitch black... cant seem to blindly click through it either..

03-03-2014, 10:20 PM   #2
Emperor and Senpai

Here's about the best you're going to get on it PK_Tether | Tethering and remote control software for Pentax DSLR cameras
03-03-2014, 10:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
oh yea someone in the other thread suggested that as well.. but it's not working... unless im doing something wrong ?
i clicked debug mode, but nothing happens
03-04-2014, 04:10 PM   #4

debug mode should work.

03-04-2014, 04:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tknuth Quote
debug mode should work.
hmm its not working.. so i guess i broke something within..
03-04-2014, 04:32 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I guess any setting done must also be included in the save list (items which should not be reset by switching the camera off and on again).

When the Pentax firmware was hacked the first time, I had a (short) look at it, and it seemed to me many things can be done by calls from a file on the SD card. If someone could find the exact command syntax of the functions you need, it would not matter whether they are in the save list. The disadvantage, however, would be that one would have to run the camera in debug mode all the time. With the K200D I would not recommend it, as in debug the display controllers/amplifiers stay switched on all the time, increasing battery drain. With your broken display this may not be a problem.

Of course, no matter whether the functions are in the save list or not, you could have just one such file on each SD card, and these settings would become kind of permanent. Any changes would need editing the file.

EDIT:
I don't own any Pentax source, but I am sure any text will be kept as a block in a separate area of the firmware. But don't mix the menu text with the command text: command text should be found additionally, as parsing for menu text by the interpreter is not recommended in multi-language software.
What I recall is, that arguments to commands are appended with a space and in brackets, like : <EN> <DIS> <0> <19>
03-04-2014, 05:46 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RKKS08 Quote
I guess any setting done must also be included in the save list (items which should not be reset by switching the camera off and on again).

When the Pentax firmware was hacked the first time, I had a (short) look at it, and it seemed to me many things can be done by calls from a file on the SD card. If someone could find the exact command syntax of the functions you need, it would not matter whether they are in the save list. The disadvantage, however, would be that one would have to run the camera in debug mode all the time. With the K200D I would not recommend it, as in debug the display controllers/amplifiers stay switched on all the time, increasing battery drain. With your broken display this may not be a problem.

Of course, no matter whether the functions are in the save list or not, you could have just one such file on each SD card, and these settings would become kind of permanent. Any changes would need editing the file.

EDIT:
I don't own any Pentax source, but I am sure any text will be kept as a block in a separate area of the firmware. But don't mix the menu text with the command text: command text should be found additionally, as parsing for menu text by the interpreter is not recommended in multi-language software.
What I recall is, that arguments to commands are appended with a space and in brackets, like : <EN> <DIS> <0> <19>
Ohh jee, I only understood maybe 70% of that. Thanks for your response, although I don't think I can do this by myself haha.
A temporary fix I have now is that I taped up the part that senses for a lens-attachment on the mount. So the camera thinks im shooting without a lens right now :P!
Yay!