Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 03:38 AM   #1

Film color tone on DSLR?

So I really really really like the color tone of film camera, but I'm not a big fan of post-processing. Is there any specific setting that can mimic the film color tone the most?

03-04-2014, 03:42 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have vivitar 28-200mm f3.5-4.5 manual focus A version lens which creates the exact film colors without altering the camera settings.
03-04-2014, 03:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you can get a Fuji camera.

Some people also prefer older sensors - e.g. K200D, K10D, K100D.
03-04-2014, 04:38 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by infactimacat Quote
So I really really really like the color tone of film camera, but I'm not a big fan of post-processing. Is there any specific setting that can mimic the film color tone the most?
Not a big fan of post processing software, the added time it takes, or the added effort it takes?
The reason I ask is because there are many different post processing software that have presets to add different color tone to your images and many of them have settings to apply presets to your all your images in a specified folder automatically.
It's not out-of-the-camera instant, but it's fairly effortless and quick.

03-04-2014, 06:00 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What body do you have? There are several Custom Image Settings you can change to recreate the look of film by altering the contrast, saturation and color cast, at least, you can on the K30 and I imagine on other bodies as well. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to have those settings applied to RAW files, so you'd have to shoot JPEG. I have learned to prefer RAW files, so instead I mimic the processing done in camera by adjusting the color sliders on the Levels setting in Photoshop Elements... It is not much of a chore and with experience I've learned which sliders to move to get the "look" I want.

Good luck, and let us know what you decide!

~Sara
03-04-2014, 07:37 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
What body do you have? There are several Custom Image Settings you can change to recreate the look of film by altering the contrast, saturation and color cast, at least, you can on the K30 and I imagine on other bodies as well. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to have those settings applied to RAW files, so you'd have to shoot JPEG.
You can apply all of those to your RAWs on the K-30, even if you originally shot them with different JPEG settings. While viewing any image captured as RAW or RAW+ on the default info view and zoomed all the way out, hit the down button to bring up the playback palette (p. 174), then select RAW Development (p. 196).
03-04-2014, 07:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

You don't like the color of film enough, apparently. You can still shoot it as many people do here on PF.

03-04-2014, 08:41 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Scintilla Quote
You can apply all of those to your RAWs on the K-30, even if you originally shot them with different JPEG settings. While viewing any image captured as RAW or RAW+ on the default info view and zoomed all the way out, hit the down button to bring up the playback palette (p. 174), then select RAW Development (p. 196).
RAW development only converts the raw file into a JPEG with a specified Picture Control (although some PCs look like film if that's what you meant). You can't apply Cross Processing afterwards.
03-04-2014, 08:45 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by infactimacat Quote
It depends on what type of film or color tone process your trying to achieve and what camera filters and or color setting options you have available in your camera's menu, most of which restrict your shooting to using jpeg or raw+jpeg. Or there are software plug-ins that are available to mimic many film types, iso's of film or film tone processes.

If you don't care for post processing, which is the back bone to digital photography, then I would suggest picking up a good film camera and go that route. However doing that, which you may or may not already know, you would need to buy film, need to have the film developed by either a lab or yourself, either self darkroom process or pay a lab to do do your prints or use a capable scanner to scan your processed film to digital then use the same software as you would with your digital camera photos to post process your photos prior to your printing or a lab printing them as you would anyway. I am not saying there is anything wrong with going about ones photography in this manner as I found it enjoyable for quite awhile.

My point in reality is that you will at some point need to learn to like post processing if you seriously want to use a digital camera and have control over your photos appearance..

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-04-2014 at 08:54 AM.
03-04-2014, 06:41 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
RAW development only converts the raw file into a JPEG with a specified Picture Control (although some PCs look like film if that's what you meant). You can't apply Cross Processing afterwards.
Most of the image tones available do allow further tweaking of the contrast, saturation, hue, etc. that severalsnakes mentioned, via the Info button, before the JPEG is saved; two of them are actually called Reversal Film and Cross Processing. ("Custom Image" in the manual refers to those styles, so I assumed that's what s/he was talking about.) I didn't know there was more available besides that?
03-04-2014, 06:55 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
NIK Color Effects Pro has 55 filters including film/grain types. It is a Photoshop plug in but is really simple to use

Color Efex Pro 4 Filter List
03-04-2014, 07:08 PM   #12
Veteran Member

If you want the film look, shoot film. Film cameras are dirt cheap this days. And no post processing gets the same look, simply because the sensors and film respond differently to light.
Try overexposing with DSLR by 8 stops to get pastel colour pallet and you will end up with blown white images. Use DSLR for the digital look and film for the film look. DSLRs are great for low light etc... but on sunny day nothing beats film.

I switched back to film about a year ago, I prefer that look as well and it's cheap.
03-05-2014, 12:11 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by severalsnakes Quote
What body do you have? There are several Custom Image Settings you can change to recreate the look of film by altering the contrast, saturation and color cast, at least, you can on the K30 and I imagine on other bodies as well. Unfortunately, I have not found a way to have those settings applied to RAW files, so you'd have to shoot JPEG.
All you have to do is use the RAW editing software that came with the camera (Silkypix or Pentax DCU - it allows you to apply the same in-camera settings to a RAW file).

Also, DxO FilmPack Creative photo software | www.dxo.com will let you apply a film look to images in Photoshop, Lightroom, Aperture, or DxO Optics Pro.
03-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #14
Pentaxian

The only way to properly replicate the look of film is with film. In addition to the colours and general look, shooting film will also give you the enormous pleasure of using a film SLR, which is much more enjoyable than a digital one.

If you're determined to get as close as you can with digital, I follow a blog of a photographer who uses both film and digital, and for digital he swears by VSCO to replicate the film look as closely as possible.
03-05-2014, 01:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

There are a few manual lenses that can give a glassy appearance, something I think of as "photoesque". I have a Rikenon P Zoom 28-100 f4 that does it. I have two K-55/1.8 lenses. One does it, the other doesn't.
You could just buy a bunch of $20 manual lenses until you find a couple that do it for you.
Then, once you have the manual lenses, put one on a film body and load up some Ektar.