Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 10:45 AM   #1

My Christmas present arrived.

So the budget opened up enough for me to get my Christmas present!

I am now the proud owner of the HD Pentax-DA 55-300MM ED WR zoom lens.

I have heard great things about it, looking forward to trying it out.

03-04-2014, 11:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congrats, cant wait to see some pictures!!
03-04-2014, 11:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Great Present!

Nice addition, Sam!
Everyone seems to really like this lens, it should be particularly good for outdoor, birds and wildlife. The max aperture may be somewhat slow at full reach, but bumping the ISO should help that.
Post some photos soon!
Ron
03-04-2014, 12:44 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by j2photos Quote
Congrats, cant wait to see some pictures!!
Thanks

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 02:45 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rbefly Quote
Nice addition, Sam!
Everyone seems to really like this lens, it should be particularly good for outdoor, birds and wildlife. The max aperture may be somewhat slow at full reach, but bumping the ISO should help that.
Post some photos soon!
Ron
Yes, sharper with a tripod. Thanks.

03-04-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
Fun with fungus
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
03-04-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Dennis Quote
Fun with fungus
Fungus it not fun, especially inside lenses.
03-04-2014, 01:12 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Maybe tibbits will check in to tell you how bad a lens it is because he's had 5 bad ones.
03-04-2014, 01:39 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Maybe tibbits will check in to tell you how bad a lens it is because he's had 5 bad ones.
Is there a thread about this?

03-04-2014, 02:01 PM   #9
mee
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Fungus it not fun, especially inside lenses.
Yes, it is not nice to aim the lens fungus.. it gets scared.
03-04-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

I don't have the HD version. I have the very ancient DAL cheapo version. But I *love* it. I'm sure if I had a "better" long lens, I'd like that better. But for what it is & what it cost me when I got it bundled with my K-x, it's great.
03-04-2014, 02:23 PM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Just search his posts. He rarely misses on opportunity to trash the 55-300.

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 04:35 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
Yes, it is not nice to aim the lens fungus.. it gets scared.
The 55-300 loves Lichens, Mosses and Fungus...

03-04-2014, 04:47 PM   #12
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Sam Dennis Quote
I have heard great things about it, looking forward to trying it out.
I think you may like it. Here is a shot straight out of camera after coming straight out of B&H box
f8 is great!
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-3  Photo 
03-04-2014, 09:59 PM - 1 Like   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I've stated repeatedly that if you can find a good copy, the 55-300 would be an outstanding lens by my not-so-lofty standards. And if you're only interested in the center 2/3rd or so of the frame, most copies are probably going to work well for you.

And in fairness I've also trashed the 16-45 DA for having barrel wobble, the 10-20 Sigma for centering problems, the (M42-era) 18/2.8 Sigma for amazing amounts of flare, and the 17-50mm Tamron for focus field curvature. And if asked I still trash the entire Canon A-series for squeaking, Canon in general for the whole FD fiasco, the Spotmatic F for the meter that turned itself off in even moderately low light (and centered the needle - ugh!), and Topcon... I won't even go there. So, I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity trasher.

My posts are really just intended to make people aware of what they need to look for when buying a new lens, not just a 55-300. But with regard to the 55-300, it's not just me - for example, the photozone review of the 55-300 clearly states:

"The tested sample showed an optical problem (centering) at 55mm..."

Well, three of the 5 copies I've tried had that same problem at 55mm.

I was completely unaware of any lens quality control issues when I started out with my first dslr in 2006. In the film era I'd made some fairly large prints from pan/plus/tri-x in my darkroom, and shot kodachome and velvia for years, and never experienced a lens quality issue, in the sense that my images were consistent across the frame. Not that corners weren't a little weaker than the centers, but the corners and edges were all similar to each other. Since most of my lenses were "consumer-grade" Topcors, SMCTs, and Canon FDs, I guess my standards must not be that high. I even enjoy the results from a very consumer-grade Tamron 70-300 I recently acquired from ebay. Yet with a significant number of recent-era lenses, I end up with left sides that don't look anything like right sides, under fairly controlled conditions. And I don't need to pixel-peep; I just enlarge the image to fill my old low-res 22" monitor (roughly the size of largest prints I made in the film era) and the differences are obvious.

It's true that lens performance issues seem to be showing up more and more as bodies get better and better, but if manufacturers wants to keep selling ever higher-mp bodies, they're going to have to produce lenses - even consumer-grade lenses - that keep pace to some degree.
03-05-2014, 01:47 PM   #14
Site Supporter

One of my earliest shots with the 55-300 and the K-r I was using then- caught on the fly, handheld.
03-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #15

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Just search his posts. He rarely misses on opportunity to trash the 55-300.

---------- Post added 03-04-14 at 04:35 PM ----------

The 55-300 loves Lichens, Mosses and Fungus...
I am liking the lichen.

---------- Post added 03-05-14 at 06:46 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tibbitts Quote
I've stated repeatedly that if you can find a good copy, the 55-300 would be an outstanding lens by my not-so-lofty standards. And if you're only interested in the center 2/3rd or so of the frame, most copies are probably going to work well for you.

And in fairness I've also trashed the 16-45 DA for having barrel wobble, the 10-20 Sigma for centering problems, the (M42-era) 18/2.8 Sigma for amazing amounts of flare, and the 17-50mm Tamron for focus field curvature. And if asked I still trash the entire Canon A-series for squeaking, Canon in general for the whole FD fiasco, the Spotmatic F for the meter that turned itself off in even moderately low light (and centered the needle - ugh!), and Topcon... I won't even go there. So, I like to think of myself as an equal opportunity trasher.

My posts are really just intended to make people aware of what they need to look for when buying a new lens, not just a 55-300. But with regard to the 55-300, it's not just me - for example, the photozone review of the 55-300 clearly states:

"The tested sample showed an optical problem (centering) at 55mm..."

Well, three of the 5 copies I've tried had that same problem at 55mm.

I was completely unaware of any lens quality control issues when I started out with my first dslr in 2006. In the film era I'd made some fairly large prints from pan/plus/tri-x in my darkroom, and shot kodachome and velvia for years, and never experienced a lens quality issue, in the sense that my images were consistent across the frame. Not that corners weren't a little weaker than the centers, but the corners and edges were all similar to each other. Since most of my lenses were "consumer-grade" Topcors, SMCTs, and Canon FDs, I guess my standards must not be that high. I even enjoy the results from a very consumer-grade Tamron 70-300 I recently acquired from ebay. Yet with a significant number of recent-era lenses, I end up with left sides that don't look anything like right sides, under fairly controlled conditions. And I don't need to pixel-peep; I just enlarge the image to fill my old low-res 22" monitor (roughly the size of largest prints I made in the film era) and the differences are obvious.

It's true that lens performance issues seem to be showing up more and more as bodies get better and better, but if manufacturers wants to keep selling ever higher-mp bodies, they're going to have to produce lenses - even consumer-grade lenses - that keep pace to some degree.
I think for the pics I take the lens will be mostly at the longest length, and the center of the image will matter most. And I cant afford a better lens anyway. This one cost twice what was paid for the camera. Yikes.

---------- Post added 03-05-14 at 06:47 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ak_kiwi Quote
I think you may like it. Here is a shot straight out of camera after coming straight out of B&H box
f8 is great!
Dogs make great models. !!

---------- Post added 03-05-14 at 06:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by JimJohnson Quote
One of my earliest shots with the 55-300 and the K-r I was using then- caught on the fly, handheld.
The other day after a big snowfall, there were three or four deer in the parking lot, looking at me as if to say "Now what do we eat?"