Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Manual Focus: K-01 or Focus Screen?

I have a classic K-5 and I have not been having great success nailing focus with my small collection of M42 Takumars and SMC K manual focus lenses.
I've no doubt that a good portion of this is due to user error and lack of practice...

My question, and particularly to those who've used both, is - do you hit focus more often with a K-01 and focus peaking or an aftermarket focus screen for K-5 (K-5ii, etc.)?
If you had a choice between the two which would you choose for manual focus, focus peaking or focus screen?

I like the idea of getting a K-01 as a second body, particularly for manual focus, but if installing an after market focus screen on the K-5 is as good (or better) then that might be the way to go?

Look forward to everyone's thoughts and input.
Cheers
Dean

03-04-2014, 04:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I use an aftermarket screen, and once I've gone through the calibration/shimming exercise, I can focus pretty accurately with my takumars.

And, after going through the fine tune autofocus process, I find I can trust the green octogon for focussing the takumars when they're stopped down to taking aperture.

Fine tuning your camera's focussing systems is a major PITA, but once it's done, you'll be happy about your ability to get consistently properly focussed images.
03-04-2014, 05:44 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
I own both the K-5 and K-01. With focus peaking the K-01 is a keeper and in some cases I find it superior to the K-5. It is particularly useful in shallow DOF scenarios. I find it much easier to evaluate and make minor focal plane adjustments when using my K-01 in focus peaking mode vs the K-5 in live view.
03-04-2014, 08:08 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by johnyates Quote
I use an aftermarket screen, and once I've gone through the calibration/shimming exercise, I can focus pretty accurately with my takumars.

And, after going through the fine tune autofocus process, I find I can trust the green octogon for focussing the takumars when they're stopped down to taking aperture.

Fine tuning your camera's focussing systems is a major PITA, but once it's done, you'll be happy about your ability to get consistently properly focussed images.
Thanks for your input. I've been thinking very hard about the after market focussing screen. As you've said, I guess the trick is getting it all dialed in...screen and focus tuned. Love the look from some of the older lenses, just be nice if I can get a better keeper rate, as you've done.
Cheers

---------- Post added 03-05-14 at 11:12 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by CMS Houston Quote
I own both the K-5 and K-01. With focus peaking the K-01 is a keeper and in some cases I find it superior to the K-5. It is particularly useful in shallow DOF scenarios. I find it much easier to evaluate and make minor focal plane adjustments when using my K-01 in focus peaking mode vs the K-5 in live view.
Thanks for that. Yeah, I find the K-5 hit and miss and don't really love the live view mode...I'm feeling that I'd be more comfortable using the rear screen on the K-01 with the focus peaking than live view on the K-5...but not desperate for a second body. I guess the third option is to get a K-3 with a focussing screen...best of both worlds...but the budget won't go there's the moment!

03-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

If you send your camera to Katzeye, they'll install the focusing screen and calibrate your manual focus. It will be right on when you get it back. This will cost about the same as a K-01. I absolutely love the katzeye in my K-5.
03-05-2014, 01:23 AM   #6
Forum Member

I have a K-5 and K-01 also. I use the K-5 for my AF lenses and the K-01 for my manual focus lenses. I think manual focusing is a breeze with focus peaking.
03-05-2014, 10:32 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Have you tried using catch-in-focus on your k5? I have no problem using manual focus lenses with it.

03-05-2014, 10:49 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Honestly!? I would choose K-01 over the screen.
The cost of a good focus screen and shims will take you half way of the price (maybe more if you add a viewfinder enlarger) of the K-01 anyway...

Plus... a back-up camera never hurts

Last edited by mrNewt; 03-05-2014 at 11:02 AM.
03-05-2014, 10:57 AM   #9
Pentaxian

I love my K-01 but I agree with Mr. Newt. I would recommend the focus screen from Katzeye. After the tripod it is my best investment ever. However, if you go hogwild and buy all the bells and whistles on the screen PLUS have Katzeye do your installation and calibration the cost may get close to a good, barely used K-01. But even at that, I would still buy the screen.
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

maybe I lucked out, but my EE-S focusing screen was spot on without any adjustments necessary. I've played with focus peaking on my wife's Q, but it didn't seem to be all that much better than using live view on my K5 with a 6x or so zoom. That could just be that the Q and K5 both have slow-ish response in live view, though. Maybe the K-01 is better there.

I thought about getting a katzeye, but I played around a bit with an old film camera with a split screen and micro prisms and stuff, and I found it distracting, also you can't just center focus and then compose with a 1.2 lens so it wouldn't have helped all that much.

If the reason for not nailing focus is because the lenses are too fast for the stock focusing screen, I think a new focusing screen is a better option. If the reason for not nailing focus is that it's just straight up hard to tell if things are in perfect focus or not regardless of the aperture of the lens, then focus peaking will clearly be more useful.
03-05-2014, 11:01 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
I love my K-01 but I agree with Mr. Newt. I would recommend the focus screen from Katzeye. After the tripod it is my best investment ever. However, if you go hogwild and buy all the bells and whistles on the screen PLUS have Katzeye do your installation and calibration the cost may get close to a good, barely used K-01. But even at that, I would still buy the screen.
Actually I was trying to say K-01 is the better way ... I guess I should be more explicit - edited my original post.
03-05-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Matt Miller Quote
If you send your camera to Katzeye, they'll install the focusing screen and calibrate your manual focus. It will be right on when you get it back. This will cost about the same as a K-01. I absolutely love the katzeye in my K-5.
Thanks. I didn't realise (hadn't look close enough) that katzeye can do the installation for you. Having said that I'm in Perth, Western Australia...so about as far on the planet as can be from Massachusetts (about 11600 miles/18600kms as the crow flies)...probably would add about another $100+ for return shipping cost...the tyranny of distance...

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 06:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Shamwow Quote
I have a K-5 and K-01 also. I use the K-5 for my AF lenses and the K-01 for my manual focus lenses. I think manual focusing is a breeze with focus peaking.
Good to hear...I'm maybe leaning towards the K-01...I could also pretty much leave the M42 to K adapter on there...though I do have a couple of manual focus K mount lenses too. Do you find the focus peaking up to scratch at f1.4-f2.0?

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 06:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by rockmaster1964 Quote
Have you tried using catch-in-focus on your k5? I have no problem using manual focus lenses with it.
Thanks. I have tried catch in focus, but to be honest not a lot. I wasn't thrilled with the success rate...again, well aware user error most likely to blame. How have you found it for thin depth of field work?

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 06:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Honestly!? I would choose K-01 over the screen.
The cost of a good focus screen and shims will take you half way of the price (maybe more if you add a viewfinder enlarger) of the K-01 anyway...

Plus... a back-up camera never hurts
Thanks and I hear you! I've always been interested to try the K-01. The less "intimidating" look I could also see as being a bonus when taking candids, as I've seen other mention. The price is right too, decent second hand bodies out there. Hmmm...we'll see...

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 06:51 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Thanks Pioneer. There are certainly plenty of people who back the katzeye screens. I never used film a lot, other than in school, so I'm not real familiar with the micro prisms and split screens. I guess my concern is that if you go for all of that, plus the potential exposure issue I've read about with these screens, is it worth it? I guess that's a big yes from you. Cheers.

---------- Post added 03-06-14 at 06:58 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
maybe I lucked out, but my EE-S focusing screen was spot on without any adjustments necessary. I've played with focus peaking on my wife's Q, but it didn't seem to be all that much better than using live view on my K5 with a 6x or so zoom. That could just be that the Q and K5 both have slow-ish response in live view, though. Maybe the K-01 is better there.

I thought about getting a katzeye, but I played around a bit with an old film camera with a split screen and micro prisms and stuff, and I found it distracting, also you can't just center focus and then compose with a 1.2 lens so it wouldn't have helped all that much.

If the reason for not nailing focus is because the lenses are too fast for the stock focusing screen, I think a new focusing screen is a better option. If the reason for not nailing focus is that it's just straight up hard to tell if things are in perfect focus or not regardless of the aperture of the lens, then focus peaking will clearly be more useful.
Thanks for your response. Yep, I must admit the EE-S screen sounded like a good option to me. I've not had the chance to try focus peaking at all myself, but just yesterday found that the father-in-law is about to buy a K-50. So, I'll have to have a go with the focus peaking on the new camera and see how it feels for me. Sure that'll help clarify the situation for me.
The inaccurate depth of field with the stock screen certainly makes it tricky with a fast lens, but I'm also sure my technique needs some polish.

Thanks very much to everyone so far for the input. Not 100% sure it's made the decision any clearer , but it is making me feel that which ever way it go I can expect some level of improvement.
Cheers
Dean
03-06-2014, 11:14 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I have not tried catch-in-focus for thin depth of field photos. So, I don't know how well it works for that.