Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-06-2014, 12:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Experiences with AjRichie?

Have been considering a new camera body. Saw impressive pricing on the website but wonder if it's just a typical bait and switch. Anybody here ever deal with them?

03-06-2014, 12:54 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have moved your thread out of GT forum as this is not the place to ask about photography related questions. GT is for off topic general threads/posts.
03-06-2014, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #3
Forum Member

I've never dealt with them, but the reviews I found on Google are less than favorable. It seems like some type of high-pressure up-sales bullying store, where after you place your order they call and try to up-sell you on random products, if you decline they "forget" to send your order for random amounts of time. I have read many reviews complaining about the woes of returning things to them, which means people must be receiving their items, but no mention of WHY they wanted to return them.

I've bought lenses from ebay sellers with tons of negative feedback similar in nature and had great experiences, new items, pristine in original boxes with paperwork.

I would only buy a camera body from B&H or Adorama (physical stores exempted, I would always buy from local camera shops first, and trust retailers like Costco) unless I was buying it used from a private party I have at least SOME knowledge about (like an in person transaction).
03-06-2014, 01:07 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I have moved your thread out of GT forum as this is not the place to ask about photography related questions. GT is for off topic general threads/posts.
Right , my post was about possible experience with a retailer not about photography.
Not so sure why beginners Q&A would be a more appropriate place.

---------- Post added 03-06-2014 at 03:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by chimpwithagun Quote
. It seems like some type of high-pressure up-sales bullying store, where after you place your order they call and try to up-sell you on random products, if you decline they "forget" to send your order for random amounts of time.
That is the impression I got too, but was hoping for actual experiences. Thanks for the reply.

03-06-2014, 02:07 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I wouldn't want to deal with them if what I read is true.
03-06-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #6
Veteran Member

As a general rule never buy anything from an on-line retailer located in Brooklyn. It's very common for companies like this one to be part of a network of clone stores. That is to say that one company has multiple web sites each with a different "store name."
I know nothing of the store that you've mentioned, but I wouldn't do business with them based on previous issues with Brooklyn-based companies, news stories about Brooklyn-based stores, and from their 2-star rating on line.
I mean just Google their name and the first three results should be enough: Yelp 2 stars, DpReview post "stay away from them" and so on.

Do yourself a huge favor and stay away.
03-06-2014, 03:25 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by FrankC Quote
never buy anything from an on-line retailer located in Brooklyn
+1. It's a shame for the honest people who want to open businesses, but there's such a negative history of shady camera/electronics dealers based in Brooklyn that I wouldn't risk it. I guess the crooks still get enough business that they haven't bothered to move shop a few miles away to get a non-Brooklyn address.

It's not just Brooklyn, though. Lots of shady internet companies everywhere. Use a credit card and you'll get some protection depending on your state's consumer protection laws. Debit card, check, money order, and of course cash are very risky.