Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-04-2014, 11:20 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Any updates on any of this? I am afraid to update b.c of this one post. Any noticable upgrades with it? bit snappier or anything?

---------- Post added 04-04-14 at 11:23 AM ----------

any from this video, if you just leave the memory options as is, nothing to worry about? kinda minor bug, but I hear ya

04-04-2014, 07:35 PM   #17

Original Poster
@rzarector

* Regarding the failure of the screen to rotate I emailed Pentax support (full reply below), in short they couldn't reproduce that issue on a K5 IIs with v1.07. Nor I have I heard anyone else with the same issue.

* Ref the sound on start up and waking the camera from sleep. That one isn't so clear cut. I don't think mine ever made that sound until the update. I've read others expressing they felt it didn't make that sound and then one day just started to. One person quoted CRIS camera repair as saying " **SOME** of the K5 IIs make that noise", which seems to indicate some don't. I also called Pentax and the rep had one in his hands and said it was silent on startup. It is NOT the sensor cleaning action, many have discovered it is the aperture close down lever vibrating just a bit during startup/wake up and can even be seen if you remove the lens and turn on the camera while watching the lever, or just look inside the lens during startup and you can see the aperture vibrating opening/closing just a bit. Here is a youtube link of someone demonstrating this sound on two different K5 bodies. While it's not the IIs, it is doing exactly what mine is.

start up noise:

If you wouldn't mind letting me know yours makes the sound like in the video I'd appreciate it. And if you update to v1.07 and check screen rotating as in my video I'd be grateful to hear your results.

Screen rotation issue:

https://vimeo.com/album/2768614/video/88578709

--- reply from Pentax ----
"Our corporate office for technical support has reviewed your video and followed the steps but has not been able to reproduce this on a K-5 IIs with firmware version 1.07. We will continue to see if we can reproduce what you are reporting. You did mention that normal operation is restored by adding back in a memory setting on pg.2, or by taking a shot. Please try depressing the shutter button halfway when the rotation is locked up and let us know if that restores normal operation. Again, instead of changing memory settings a second time or taking a picture, please find out if just pressing the shutter button halfway frees up the rotation display."

I emailed them back explaining pressing the shutter button doesn't change anything, I've not heard back to that response in over a week.

Last edited by RogerD_AZ; 04-04-2014 at 07:43 PM.
04-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #18

I have the same problem. But I didn't follow your step. After I update to 1.07, I switch between M or Green mode. Suddenly it won't rotate when I turn my K5 II. And the level is stick to the red. No matter I turn off or set default. The level still frozen.

04-21-2014, 09:46 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Why did you update the firmware.

When I worked in computer support, and cameras these days are just computers, it was well known that firmware updates are often pointless for most customers, theyr introduced to fix an issue that might affect them or might not, usually not.

The usual way it would go is this.

Concerned user
My system was working perfectly so I decided to fix it by installing the latest firmware, and now it doesn't work, what went wrong and how do I fix it.

Unconcerned representative
It appears that either there was a glitch in the power as it installed the update or the update file was corrupt or the update didn't complete. we did publish the warning that any firmware updates are entirely at the customers risk and there is no guarantee of success. There is no user applicable fix for this issue and we regret the unit will have to be returned to the factory for a fix. The charge will be 100 dollars. The unit will be unusable until this is done.

I would never under any circumstances install a firmware upgrade on a fully functioning system like a camera that is working perfectly.

If a firmware upgrade simply offers the use of a latest sd card or an increase in video refresh rate or richer colours on the review screen or malay language support or something else I have no use for why risk the complete destruction of a fully functioning unit to get this improvement I have no need of.

The record of manufacturing companies in creating hastily rolled out and malfunctioning firmware upgrades is not good.

I very much hope this issue is resolved for you, but I fear you will find the firmware cannot be rolled back and it cannot be re-applied or fixed in any way without being returned to the manufacturer. I recommend you contact the service centre and ask for a quote for a fix.

I have avoided raising this many times in the past because it just sounds like im being harsh, but this issue is happening so much it has to be raised as a warning to others.

Please guys, don't upgrade your firmware unless theres a good reason to do it. And certainly never until its been proven to be bug free.

04-24-2014, 12:01 AM   #20

Another "Feature" in 1.07

Yes, I too have spent my entire career in computer maintenance and upgrading to the latest firmware is called living on the bleeding edge. I retired a couple of years ago and that seems to be one of the first things I forgot. I too upgraded to 1.07 as soon as it was announced. Woe is me, for I made a BIG mistake doing that.

I have discovered a "feature" of the firmware that has caused me to ruin most of the pictures from two sessions this past weekend as well as other pictures I have taken since upgrading to 1.07. I use Spot Metering for most of the pictures I take because I want a particular point to be in exposed properly. (It's just the way I do things.) So here is how I found this "feature".

For general snapshots I tend to use "Green Mode" the most. They are mostly of family and kids so I don't need the RAW capture because well, I just don't need them. I will use "Program Automatic Exposure mode sometimes too mostly when I want the RAW files. After upgrading to 1.07 I noticed I had a lot more over exposed pictures than usual. Things that should not have been over exposed were blown out. But after the two ruined shoots this past weekend, I was determined to find out what was going on because not all of the pictures were blown out, just most of them.

So after checking settings, grumbling, checking settings again, grumbling, reading this forum, etc. here is what I found. With the Green mode selected, everything works fine. When I go to P, Sv, Tv, Av, and M modes, the images are blown out. By using the EV Compensation button I can go beyond the -2 stop limit to about -3 stops and the exposure is almost correct. But when I do, when I then use the flash, the images are about -3 stops too dark.

To make a long story short, I found that if I turn the Metering mode switch from spot metering to either of the two other modes, the exposure is correct. Turn it back to Spot metering and the images are blown out again. However the Green mode is not affected by this.

I also noticed that the correctly exposed images from the Easter Sunday session were exposed properly because I was using fill flash. I was capturing images faster than the flash could come ready and all images I took when the flash fired were exposed properly and the images when the flash did not fire were blown out. So I checked, and it does not matter if the flash is internal or external, when the flash fires, the images are exposed properly.

Because of this "feature" I am not able to use spot metering when I need RAW files because Green mode captures only JPG. (There may be a way to get RAW with Green mode, but I honestly haven't looked yet.)

Does anyone else have this "feature" in their K-5 IIs?

By the way, I upgraded my K-5 to 1.16 (that came out the same day as 1.07) and my K-5 does not have this "feature".

Last edited by foxsp; 04-24-2014 at 09:01 AM. Reason: To delete over size image.
04-24-2014, 08:53 AM   #21

Oops

Sorry about the large text and over size picture on the last post. I'm still learning the nuances of this forum.

Here are two images from the camera. The first is with 1.06 and the second is with 1.07, both with Spot metering. Admittedly they are totally different scenes, but if the 1.06 image is exposed that well then the 1.07 image should NOT be that bad.

Now to delete the large image in my last post.
Attached Images

04-24-2014, 10:42 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My understanding of your issue is that spot metering gives vastly overexposed images but any other metering mode exposes satisfactorily, and you prefer spot metering so that's a problem.

I agree it needs fixing, but a temporary workaround would be to use a different metering method, I assume you've already decided to do this.

Spot metering is no more accurate than any of the other methods in my opinion, its simply suited to slightly different subjects. In fact the second snow-scene that is overexposed is in my opinion unsuited to spot metering anyway, with wildly varying pure white areas and adjacent dark areas, a centre weighted or averaging method would be my choice.

Camera meters cannot be relied upon in my experience, they only get the exposure close, so I use manual settings almost exclusively and use chimping and the histogram to confirm good exposure.

I hope this helps a little until you get a fix.

04-24-2014, 11:14 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Spot meter, by definition is metering on a small area of the scene, hence if the AF spot is on the area which is dark, the overall scene will be over exposed. Likewise, the opposite will happen if the AF point is in the area which is relatively lighter than the rest. So, if you use spot metering for every situation, you will get various results inconsistent with what you expect.
04-24-2014, 01:49 PM   #24

Imageman, you are right in that spot metering is not the best for the snow scenes. It has worked well for me in most photographic situations so that I was leaving the switch on Spot. It took a while for me to commit to finding the cause of the issue so I have only myself to blame for missing those photo opportunities. I'm kind of "old dog, new tricks" and this has forced me to dig deeper into my cameras and find better ways of doing things. This is a good thing and I have learned/relearned lessons so all in all it is a positive experience for me, except for the opportunities missed this last weekend.

The scene in the second picture was one from a long series of shots up Gold Creek Valley near Snoqualmie Pass on I-90. When I first glanced up the valley while on the freeway the clouds and fog had cleared and the light snow clinging to the trees was in sharp contrast to the dark rocks of the mountain side. It looked awesome so I pulled off to get some shots. And of course by the time I got stopped and set up, the clouds and fog had moved back in. I took a lot of shots between snow squalls and all of them were in spot mode so they were all blown out. I used P mode so I would get the RAW files for further processing. I may try and see if I can recover anything passable from the RAW files but I really doubt I will be able to as the shots are blown out by at least three stops.

Aleonx3, you are right about the spot metering can cause the rest of the image to blow out if it meters on a dark spot. That is actually the main reason I was using it. I could meter on a specific subject for the best exposure on that subject in high contrast bright and dark scenes where I want the surrounding part of the scene in the shot. I just got complacent and didn't explore the other metering modes. The attached image is of the thumbnails of some of the images. They're all mostly useless.

But I do consider this to be a positive situation in that I learned some new techniques I would have taken a lot longer to learn had the firmware not presented this "feature" to me.

But I'm still curious, does anyone else have this issue with firmware 1.07? If not, I might have a problem with my camera.
Attached Images