Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 02:29 AM   #1
New Member
RogerD_AZ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 17
K5 IIs firmware v1.07 possible bugs

Updated K5 IIs to v1.07, seems a bug / with video example

* Status screen auto rotate fails to rotate at times and sometimes rotates the wrong way by 180 degrees (IOW upside down). Turning on/off normally fixes it. Taking a picture fixes it.
* Level display same problem, sometimes doesn't rotate with camera, level "sticks" at times (while tilting/rotating camera the level sticks as if if camera isn't being moved). Turning on/off normally fixes it, taking a picture fixes it.
EDIT: start up/wake noise I confirmed is normal, only the screen failing to rotate is a bug.

If anyone can confirm these issues pre or post v1.07 update please chime in, thanks in advance.

link to video:
https://vimeo.com/album/2768614/video/88578709

Thank you,
Roger D


Last edited by RogerD_AZ; 03-09-2014 at 11:29 AM. Reason: added link to video
03-07-2014, 03:28 AM   #2
Site Supporter




Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Middle of Everywhere
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,169
None of the things you mention occur on my K5-iis with the update. Works just like before... no problems.


Cheers... M
03-07-2014, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member
gbeaton's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 342
No, I don't have the problems you mention but I did get a bug in video mode exposure. Its overcorrects when I move the camera. I'll have to go back to 1.06 to check this.

EDIT: Damn, it won't let me revert.

EDIT: Pentax is a bit F'd up. They have 1.07 on Japan site, 1.05 on US site and 1.04 on Canadian site. WTF?

EDIT: Yeah! I found 1.06 on the UK site.

Last edited by gbeaton; 03-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.
03-07-2014, 11:25 AM   #4
New Member
RogerD_AZ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 17
Original Poster
@gbeaton: I've barely used video in the past so I don't know it's previous behavior. But, I just tried it at camera default settings. If by moving the camera you mean swinging it from a shadow part of the scene to brightly lit (shade to sun) I feel it readjusts exposure quickly, accurately without going too bright/dark first then zeroing in. It was very decisive.

Correct, it won't let you revert back to older firmware, even tried changing the bin file header to older version. That just caused an error "update file damaged". So that old trick no longer works.

Thank you both for the feedback.

03-07-2014, 12:04 PM   #5
Veteran Member
gbeaton's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Montreal
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 342
QuoteOriginally posted by RogerD_AZ Quote
@gbeaton: I've barely used video in the past so I don't know it's previous behavior. But, I just tried it at camera default settings. If by moving the camera you mean swinging it from a shadow part of the scene to brightly lit (shade to sun) I feel it readjusts exposure quickly, accurately without going too bright/dark first then zeroing in. It was very decisive.

Correct, it won't let you revert back to older firmware, even tried changing the bin file header to older version. That just caused an error "update file damaged". So that old trick no longer works.

Thank you both for the feedback.
Thanks Roger. Yeah, it seems to struggle with a bright window scene. It would go too bright then too dark, and do it again if I moved the camera a bit. I suppose I would fix the exposure anyway but I don't remember it having any problem before.
03-07-2014, 12:25 PM   #6
Veteran Member
krebsy75's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chester County, Pa.
Posts: 804
Updating firmware the moment it comes out is a bad idea. Best practice is to wait 90 days to see if a fix for the fix comes out.
03-08-2014, 03:19 PM   #7
Veteran Member
krebsy75's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chester County, Pa.
Posts: 804
Follow-up: I once had a K-5IIs that played dead with a full battery following a firmware update. A few others reported the same issue. Two weeks later Pentax issued a "fix for the fix" which resolved the issue. Unfortunately, for me, my camera was already at service. I had to wait two months (almost) before I got a replacement.

Lesson learned for me. Wait 90 days.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 05:21 PM ----------

One last comment. It's a bummer Pentax doesn't let you roll back firmware. Once you update you cannot go back.

---------- Post added 03-08-14 at 05:24 PM ----------

Having said the above... If your cam is within the return period... update it! You want to avoid Pentax service. That's really the crux of the matter.
03-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #8
New Member
RogerD_AZ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 17
Original Poster
Update to the failure to rotate status screen issue:

This actually may be effecting you without knowing, but does take very specific conditions to reproduce it. If you'd like to check just do exactly as below as any changes may mask the issue.

NOTE: I "think" this started with the v1.07 update, it's possible it was happening all along. The steps below may not be the only way to test for the bug, but it's the only easy way to type it out without a ton of questions, if/and/or buts.

1. Re-set camera using options menu to default.
2. Re-set custom menu to default using "reset custom"
3. Go to setup > "Memory" and uncheck EVERYTHING
4. Turn off camera
5. Turn on camera
6. While the rear LCD is displaying your current shot settings rotate the camera, my screen will not rotate and my "level" is stuck in one position.

7. Take a picture and if like mine it will be back to normal.

OR.. and this is probably why others are not noticing it..

Go back into options > memory (all are still blank). Select the remember HDR or Digital filter.

Turn off/on camera and screen rotates as expected as does the level. un-select whichever you did above, turn off/on camera and if like mine the screen is stuck again.

If you try this please report back if it stuck or didn't and which firmware version you are running (to check firmware version with camera off press and hold "menu" as you turn it on, version will be shown. Turn off/on for normal operation.

This is only valid if you do it exactly as I posted. Any other settings that are different may mask the issue. If you don't want to reset your camera first try just unchecking everything from both memory pages. If it sticks then you have the issue. if it does not stick it may be due to other settings and doing the resets is needed to test.

The bigger concern is I believe along with this issue is another more serious one pertaining to vibrating the sensor at times it shouldn't and more violently than designed. Monday I'll speak with Pentax and show them these issues.

03-08-2014, 07:45 PM   #9
Senior Member




Join Date: Sep 2013
Posts: 273
QuoteOriginally posted by krebsy75 Quote
Updating firmware the moment it comes out is a bad idea. Best practice is to wait 90 days to see if a fix for the fix comes out.
What happens if you have a problem with the update to the update. Do you just keep waiting in 90 day increments and never update?
03-08-2014, 08:28 PM   #10
Site Supporter
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
I've updated my K-5 II s Firmware to version 1.07 almost as soon as I read the release was available...


Just a Question to Clarify the Auto-Rotate Function of the camera,


upon taking the images in portraiture orientation the images donot automatically rotate if the camera Auto Image Rotation is set to "Enabled"
it only rotates when Image Preview Button is pressed, I believe this is how it was previously Prior to my Upgrade AFAIK ...


I did however Carried out all the Steps that you have posted that would be necessary to "Mimik" ( if you like ) the same "Bug" described as your Original Post
The camera Auto Rotates the images without any Problems only if the image was shot in portature mode when camera itself is in Landscape orientation.




I do have a Flapping / Fluttering Shutter Issue though and that was Previous to the Firmware upgrade and I'm not sure if this is a Firmware related problem.
03-08-2014, 08:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member
krebsy75's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Chester County, Pa.
Posts: 804
QuoteOriginally posted by rwingsfan Quote
What happens if you have a problem with the update to the update. Do you just keep waiting in 90 day increments and never update?

If Pentax would let you roll back firmware to previous versions it wouldn't matter. There's no good reason why they prevent the user from doing this.

Right now my two K-5IIs are working great on 1.06. Soooo... I'm not upgrading.
03-08-2014, 09:46 PM   #12
New Member
RogerD_AZ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 17
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
I've updated my K-5 II s Firmware to version 1.07 almost as soon as I read the release was available...


Just a Question to Clarify the Auto-Rotate Function of the camera,


upon taking the images in portraiture orientation the images donot automatically rotate if the camera Auto Image Rotation is set to "Enabled"
it only rotates when Image Preview Button is pressed, I believe this is how it was previously Prior to my Upgrade AFAIK ...


I did however Carried out all the Steps that you have posted that would be necessary to "Mimik" ( if you like ) the same "Bug" described as your Original Post
The camera Auto Rotates the images without any Problems only if the image was shot in portature mode when camera itself is in Landscape orientation.




I do have a Flapping / Fluttering Shutter Issue though and that was Previous to the Firmware upgrade and I'm not sure if this is a Firmware related problem.
please read a bit closer, I'm referring to the Status screen auto rotate feature, not image rotation (which does not ever rotate with the camera). I'm talking about the screen as it displays your f-stop, shutter speed, etc OR while you view the level.

ref: flapping / fluttering, nothing going one with mine that sounds like it would fall into that category.

Tomorrow I may make videos of both issues to give to Pentax as these are hard to understand via just text/talk.. when I do I'll post links here for those that would like to double check.

Last edited by RogerD_AZ; 03-08-2014 at 09:55 PM.
03-09-2014, 10:46 AM   #13
New Member
RogerD_AZ's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 17
Original Poster
For anyone interested here is link to a video demonstrating the issues and the settings needed to recreate the issue(s).

Any feedback including your version number greatly appreciated.

Video:
https://vimeo.com/album/2768614/video/88578709

EDIT: start up/wake noise I confirmed is normal, only the screen failing to rotate is a bug.

Last edited by RogerD_AZ; 03-09-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: confirmed noise is normal, only failure to rotate is a bug
03-10-2014, 04:34 AM   #14
Site Supporter
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,611
QuoteOriginally posted by RogerD_AZ Quote
please read a bit closer, I'm referring to the Status screen auto rotate feature, not image rotation (which does not ever rotate with the camera). I'm talking about the screen as it displays your f-stop, shutter speed, etc OR while you view the level.

ref: flapping / fluttering, nothing going one with mine that sounds like it would fall into that category.

Tomorrow I may make videos of both issues to give to Pentax as these are hard to understand via just text/talk.. when I do I'll post links here for those that would like to double check.
oh ok , my Bad , I realise now what you were referring to , hence why I asked for clarification !!! Guess I didn't read your Post carefully , I will check this tonight , Now I am puzzled as though if this will work post Upgrade of Firmware on K5 II s.

Edit: I've Just watched your Video and found it Quite helpful. Thanks.

Last edited by disco_owner; 03-10-2014 at 04:42 AM.
03-17-2014, 02:08 PM   #15
New Member




Join Date: Jun 2013
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 7
QuoteOriginally posted by disco_owner Quote
oh ok , my Bad , I realise now what you were referring to , hence why I asked for clarification !!! Guess I didn't read your Post carefully , I will check this tonight , Now I am puzzled as though if this will work post Upgrade of Firmware on K5 II s.

Edit: I've Just watched your Video and found it Quite helpful. Thanks.
Hi All

I have updated my k5iis to 1.07 and have an occasional flappy mirror issue?
Also I have noticed exposures seem a bit 'off' occasionally over/under exposed?

I have spoke with Pentax and they are going to get back to me...
I also tried to go back to 1.06 with no luck not allowed - I have toyed with idea of hex editing firmware version number to go back but am not nearly brave enough!

I need it working 100% have important shoots coming up!
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, firmware, firmware 1.07, firmware v1.07, fixes, issue, k5 iis, k5 iis firmware, level, on/off, pentax, pentax help, picture, pm, post, sensor, service, times
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Contacting Pentax about Video Firmware Update for K5/K5 IIs truepentaxfan Pentax K-5 2 01-19-2014 12:38 PM
K-5 II & IIs Firmware Updates v1.02 Docrwm Pentax K-5 28 02-25-2013 04:58 AM
Comparison of K-5 low light focus accuracy with v1.01 and v1.03 of firmware tram57 Pentax K-5 3 03-20-2011 08:13 PM
K5 Firmware V1.01 Performance Report pureluck Pentax K-5 13 11-19-2010 05:48 PM
possible to turn bact to Firmware V1.1? Tayfun Pentax DSLR Discussion 11 02-29-2008 06:23 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:47 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top