Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 04:27 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Firmware update HELP

Pentax K5ll..........Mac...........The update file will not stay in the SD card icon, it bounces back to the desktop. The card is formatted. I use Mac and did download the Mac version.

" Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.

The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.

[K-5II] Fwdc216b.bin: This is the updated firmware. "

03-07-2014, 04:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by billy moon Quote
Pentax K5ll..........Mac...........The update file will not stay in the SD card icon, it bounces back to the desktop. The card is formatted. I use Mac and did download the Mac version.

" Provide a formatted SD memory card for the update software.

The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.

Is the lock switch on the card enabled by chance? That would explain why the file doesn't want to stay there.

If you're using an SDXC card, its exFAT filesystem may have certain compatibility issues with your Mac if you're running an OS older than 10.6.5 (Snow Leopard).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2014, 05:19 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
the card is unlocked....SanDisk SD HC 1
03-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It wouldn't make sense for the file not to be able to be copied onto your SD card. Check the privileges on the card (locked or unlocked) and try on another computer if possible.

03-07-2014, 05:38 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Tried another formatted card...........same thing happens.

Eager to update......my current version is 1.00. Hoping it may correct some focusing issues (in the studio only for some reason) with my DA 20-40
03-07-2014, 06:48 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Just a side note (probably not related to a your problem).

The download file is self-extracting.
It's not self extracting. The mac version is a zip file, not an exe file.
03-07-2014, 10:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
This quote is from download page. And yes it is a zip but then becomes Fwdc216b.bin when download is complete " The download file is self-extracting. The following file is extracted.

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/120-general-technical-troubleshooting/253...#ixzz2vIYtBh00

03-08-2014, 06:02 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Try doing the move from the download folder to your card in finder instead of the desktop.
03-09-2014, 06:53 AM   #9
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks, tried that also. Again the same thing the downloaded icon just bounces back....has a circle with line through it just as before. I have done this in the past with K5 a couple of times without any issues although I don't remember quite how it worked. It seemed I opened the download first but not really sure it was quite a while ago.
03-09-2014, 08:20 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Thanks, tried that also. Again the same thing the downloaded icon just bounces back....has a circle with line through it just as before. I have done this in the past with K5 a couple of times without any issues although I don't remember quite how it worked. It seemed I opened the download first but not really sure it was quite a while ago.
FWIW, I have had exactly the same problem. I have never been able to update the firmware for the K-30, the file will not copy to the card's root directory, just moves back to the desktop. I'm using a MB Air with 10.6.8.
03-09-2014, 09:31 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try downloading the .exe file DIRECTLY to the card and letting it self-extract there instead of downloading to your computer drive or desktop, extracting, and moving the .bin file.

If that doesn't work I suspect the Permssions for the card or card drive on your computer are set to READ_ONLY or there is an issue with the card drive or card reader.
03-10-2014, 04:46 PM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
monochrome
Try downloading the .exe file DIRECTLY to the card and letting it self-extract there instead of downloading to your computer drive or desktop, extracting, and moving the .bin file.

Not sure how to do it that way. I have a Mac 10.6.8 and the download window, with past downloads also, opens up as the file downloads.
03-10-2014, 08:42 PM   #13
Veteran Member

You can't use the exe on a Mac

Disclaimer: not familiar with Mac at all

The idea however is good; copy the zip file to the root of the memory card and extract it (to the root of the memory card). It will also extract the readme.txt to the card, but that should not pose a problem.
Alternatively (and you can try that first), you can extract the zip directly to the memory card.

Can you try another card? Can you try another computer?

PS
What does a circle with a line through it mean on Mac?