Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #1

K200D Auto Focus adjustments

My K200D recently started front focusing. I've read several threads on using "Debug" to adjust the focus point but have been unable to get it to work. There seems to be conflicting ideas on how to implement the the debug mode. Some say the K200 is not capable of adjusting the focus point, others say they have been successful. I'm running firmware version 1.01, which I think is the latest. Is it possible to adjust, and if so, how?

Rob

03-07-2014, 02:48 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K200D allows you to make a single global adjustment through the debug menu, which isn't very helpful since the degree of FF/BF varies from lens to lens. Your best bet would probably be to upgrade the camera body to a K-50 as sending it in for adjustment would probably be overkill.

Here's a nice resource thread on AF adjustments:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/61385-auto...ent-hints.html

And this article explains how to test for it:
Fixing Front and Back Focus - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-07-2014, 05:32 PM   #3

Original Poster
k200D Auto focus

Thanks Adam. Does the K200D have a focus adjustment mode? If it is in the debug mode, how do you enter that mode and see the menu? All of my attempts per other articles and threads have proven futile! I have tried adding a text file to the root directory of the SD card called "MODSET.445" using a special turn-on sequence to no avail. Should I be able to get into the debug menu?

Rob
03-07-2014, 07:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
Problem Fixed

I found a program called "pk tether" on one of the other threads. It worked. I was able to get into the debug mode and adjust the focus point. All is well with all of my lenses!

Rob

03-07-2014, 08:36 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If I recall correctly, the modset file is quite sensitive to line feeds. I can't remember if the last line needs to be an empty line for it to work or that an empty line at the end makes that it does not work. If you ever need it again (not likely now you have found pk_tether), you can try the two options (with and without empty line).

The fact that your camera has developped a FF issue over time might indicate a deeper laying (mechanical) problem and it might come back. Eventually you might no longer be able to adjust enough. Keep an eye on it and maybe start saving for another camera just in case.
03-08-2014, 06:16 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes, it's troubling that the camera suddenly developed this issue. I can't remember a time that it was subjected to an unusual bump or other abuse that may have caused the problem. I'm a casual user so it certainly can't be a wear issue. I want to buy a "travel" lens (wide zoom), but not sure if I want to invest more in Pentax. I haven't had the greatest luck with this or my film Pentax. May switch to Nikon or Canon.