Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-07-2014, 05:47 PM   #1

Converting K100D PEF files

Hi, I am in the Real Estate business and takes photos mostly in confined spaces. I am looking for a well priced wide angle lens for my camera,

I need help. I took some photos with my Pentax but did not realize that the settings were wrong. The photos are in a PEF format.
What free software are available to convert those images to a JPEG format?

03-07-2014, 05:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you're running Windows, a couple of free solutions are Picasa or FastStone. Those PEFs are the camera's RAW files by the way. Welcome to the forums & good luck.
03-07-2014, 11:50 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Paulh,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the fact that the PEF is the RAW files. I have downloaded the FastStone software, but it does not have the option to convert PEF format files. Do you maybe have any other suggestion? I have tried Picasa previously without success.
03-08-2014, 12:16 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by 360 degrees Quote
Hi Paulh,

Thank you for your reply. I am aware of the fact that the PEF is the RAW files. I have downloaded the FastStone software, but it does not have the option to convert PEF format files. Do you maybe have any other suggestion? I have tried Picasa previously without success.
Photoshop and lightroom can both do it, grab a free trial.

Or, better yet, if you still have the CD that came with your camera, that can convert the files for you.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2014, 03:22 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you're running Vista SP2 or Windows 7 you can install this Microsoft Codec Pack: Download Microsoft Camera Codec Pack (16.4.1970.0624) from Official Microsoft Download Center

Once it's installed and you've rebooted you'll be able to look at the PEF files in the Windows Live Photo Gallery utility built into the operating system. If you select "File/Make a Copy" in the Photo Gallery menu you can convert PEF files to Jpeg with one click. It does a surprisingly good job of it.
03-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 360 degrees Quote
Hi Paulh,

In Faststone, you would use the "save as" function & in Picasa I believe you use the "export" function. Adam & Dave have good suggestions as well.
03-08-2014, 02:28 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Actually FastStone can convert PEF's to Jpg's. Use the Batch Convert under Tools. You can resize etc using this tool. It's quite powerful.