Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-08-2014, 01:54 PM   #1

Firmware update advice

I bought a k-5 towards the end of last year which I'm delighted with. I've just had a notification that new firmware has been released. I looked at the instruction video which says that the memory card has to be cleared and reformatted to download the new firmware. I keep quite a lot of shots on the card, so deleting them seems a bit of a pain. Am I understanding this correctly?
I'd appreciate aome clarification from more experienced heads.

03-08-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not think it matters if there are images on the card. But since firmware updates are always scary it is recommended to eliminate any variables you can. Use another card if you have it or copy everything off do the update and copy everything back.
I reformat everytime I put a card in but that's just me.
03-08-2014, 02:16 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I reformat everytime I put a card in but that's just me.
And me

But it doesn't matter if there is stuff on the card already. As Jatrax said, they recommend formatting only to eliminate the risk of problems with the update.

A few things, SD cards are not the safest data storage out there, I never keep anything on them, I had way too many fail on me over the years.

Also, if you're not planning of getting the 1.4x teleconverter and your camera is working fine, there is no need to update your firmware as it doesn't add any feature or fix any major bugs.
03-08-2014, 02:18 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AlanDB Quote
I keep quite a lot of shots on the card, so deleting them seems a bit of a pain.
I don't see why. A simple format wipes them; not a pain at all.

03-08-2014, 02:36 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The formatting step is optional but recommended. If you have a second card, I'd recommend using it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-08-2014, 03:27 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I bought a k-5 towards the end of last year which I'm delighted with. I've just had a notification that new firmware has been released. I looked at the instruction video which says that the memory card has to be cleared and reformatted to download the new firmware. I keep quite a lot of shots on the card, so deleting them seems a bit of a pain. Am I understanding this correctly?
I use a spare 1GB card dedicated to firmware upgrades. Bit of a luxury I know, but SD cards are so cheap and any event you can't fit many shots on such a small card now . The one I use I bought some years ago anyway.

There's an more important point that's worth raising though, and that's the fact that like any memory medium SD cards fail.

I would strongly suggest that you transfer all photographs off your SD card as soon as possible after shooting them, preferably onto two or more other storage devices.

You don't want to lose, or risk losing, important moments or memories, so backing up photo's is essential.
03-08-2014, 03:55 PM   #7
Site Supporter

You need a method to back up your photos other than relying on SD cards. An external hard drive, a cloud storage or both.

03-09-2014, 02:12 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Excuse me asking but Why on earth would you keep images on a sd card? Down load and format (in camera) after every shoot , keeps the card fresh and makes your images secure. Card failure is the number 1 way images are lost , followed by loosing the card, hd failure and so on.
03-09-2014, 03:12 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I agree, do not store images in-camera. I always move them to my PC where they are backed up in three places. I always format the card after each shoot.
03-09-2014, 06:46 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Excuse me asking but Why on earth would you keep images on a sd card?
It is very common, many people do that. I never understood why. It reminds me of the story I read not long ago where a woman dropped her pentax camera in lake Tahoe and a guy fished it out a few years after with the camera still working... The lady was bummed out because she had lost a ton of pictures (2000 if I remember right) on the SD Card.

I'm so paranoid at loosing photographs that on a normal day of shooting (let's say at a national park) I will often used 2-4 SD cards per day, trying to swap them so I get a few shots of every location on at least 2 cards. And backing up on my laptop every night.
03-09-2014, 07:49 AM   #11

I recently bought a used Kr and wondered if there was anyway to check what firmware version it was using is there anyway to do that?
If not as I'm not going to be using the 1.4 teleconverter should I just install the update as it contains all previous Firmware updates anyway?
03-09-2014, 09:51 AM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Turn camera off, hold "menu" while you power on. It'll show the actual firmware version as it starts up
03-09-2014, 10:02 AM   #13

thank you Fgaudet that really helps me as I can now make an informed decision as to id I should install the new update or not
03-09-2014, 10:11 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I keep a small-capacity SD card just for firmware updates. They are certainly cheap enough to have a few extras on hand. And I agree with everyone who recomended storing image files elsewhere (and backing them up, too, which I do to an external hard drive).
03-09-2014, 01:15 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone who replied. Some very useful points that I'll take on board.