Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 04:12 AM   #1

K3 - Lightroom 5 DNG preview

In past posts some readers were having problems with previews when importing from K5 into Lightroom. I haven't had any problems until i got my K3, now all my DNG files do not show a preview, only the DNG Logo. I have to import all the pictures into Lightroom 5 then i get a preview. My K5 & K511s did ok but not the K3. Any clues out there?

03-09-2014, 05:02 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Can you reread your post and make some edits to it?
03-09-2014, 09:22 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Welcome, what version of LR have you?

M
03-09-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Update firmware:

Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

If it doesn't work - Send it in and good luck.

Cheers!

03-10-2014, 01:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Welcome, what version of LR have you?

M
Lightroom 5
03-10-2014, 01:59 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Robert Parslow Quote
Lightroom 5
Is it upgraded to latest release? 5.3.

M
03-10-2014, 02:16 AM   #7

Original Poster
Is it upgraded to latest release? 5.3.

M
Yes, 5.3
03-10-2014, 04:37 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Deedee Quote
Update firmware:

Latest K-3 Firmware Update : Software Downloads | RICOH IMAGING

If it doesn't work - Send it in and good luck.

Cheers!
I've just updated the firmware to 1.03 on the K3 and have the latest Lightroom 5.3 software, still no previews. Is anybody else having this trouble or am i missing something in setup???

03-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Robert, I know you refer to a DNG preview above, but the obvious question must be asked - are you saving your raw files as DNG or PEF?

I have a problem with rendering my K-3 DNG files in capture one, but Lightroom 5.3 works like a charm. Very few raw processors are able to recognise the Pentax PEF format.

As s lightly different approach, have you tried running your files through the adobe dng - dng converter? (assuming you are using dng)
03-10-2014, 12:01 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
As s lightly different approach, have you tried running your files through the adobe dng - dng converter? (assuming you are using dng)
I second this.

I am sorry about my previous post.

I've just updated the firmware to 1.03 on the K3 and have the latest Lightroom 5.3 software, still no previews. Is anybody else having this trouble or am i missing something in setup???
I advised incorrectly and foolishly. This has no relation with firmware or sending it in. I mis-read with no previews available on LCD.

This has got too do a lot with K-3 DNG previews might not be processed well with 5.3 as still K-3 is a fairly new camera.

What wizofoz suggests may actually work for you.

Also please read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/245340-lightroom-5-3-now-s...pports-k3.html

Cheers!
03-10-2014, 04:06 PM   #11
rfg

... readers were having problems with previews when importing from K5 into Lightroom. I haven't had any problems until i got my K3, now all my DNG files do not show a preview, only the DNG Logo....
QuoteQuote:
I have to import all the pictures into Lightroom 5 then i get a preview.
As someone above implies, your post is not clear: what previews are you talking about, in an explorer window or inside lightroom?
03-10-2014, 04:51 PM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by rfg Quote
As someone above implies, your post is not clear: what previews are you talking about, in an explorer window or inside lightroom?
If I may speak for the OP, I believe he is referring to the window LR provides of all the files that could be imported with associated checkboxes so you can pick and choose. Once you choose, you click on the import button and the image files are within LR's database. Sometimes LR will show generic DNG icons in that checkbox window and he would prefer to see the actual thumbnails.

I understand, but to me this is a minor bug (that I don't experience). Once all files are imported into LR, he can quickly review the images in Grid View and use the X button to mark rejects, and then delete them from either the catalog or the hard drive.

To the OP, which computer and OS are you using?

M
03-11-2014, 04:27 PM   #13
rfg

If I may speak for the OP, I believe he is referring to the window LR provides of all the files that could be imported with associated checkboxes so you can pick and choose.
Could be, but if so something is wrong: I'm still on LR 4.4 and my K3 DNG thumbnails show up fine in the import window. (Win 7 Pro)
03-27-2014, 05:25 AM   #14

I have had the same problems as the OP and it is truly frustrating. Mac OS, the latest, LR 5.3 on CC so it's always up to date. And now I find I cannot read my DNG files on my iPad either. I have been using Pentax with DNG RAW for many years, have 5 different Pentax models, and the K3 is the only one where I have had this issue. If anyone out there can solve this, or knows how to get in touch with Ricoh Pentax manufacturing directly, I'd be mighty grateful!
03-27-2014, 09:44 AM   #15
Pentaxian

The solution to seeing thumbnails in the import window was explained in another similar thread: In the Folders panel drop-down menu, choose Show Photos in Subfolders.

M