Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #1

K-5 IIS and Yongnuo YN560-II

I have the YN560 off camera on its little stand, it fires properly but the camera flash is still firing, I have tried a number of settings but think I am doing something wrong.

I am in Manual mode 1/160 shutter, auto Sigma 2.8 lens.

03-09-2014, 08:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As far as I know, that flash is only wireless as an optical slave or with a radio trigger. If you're using it as an optical slave, you need the camera flash to trigger the Yongnou. If you want REAL wireless PTTL, you would need either a Pentax, Metz, or Sigma Super flash, and have your pop up flash set as "control" instead of "master".
Hope someone chimes in if I'm missing something; I barely ever use a flash.
03-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Noggin Quote
I have the YN560 off camera on its little stand, it fires properly but the camera flash is still firing, I have tried a number of settings but think I am doing something wrong.

I am in Manual mode 1/160 shutter, auto Sigma 2.8 lens.
If you don't have a set pf wireless triggers like the Cactus triggers, the only way to get that Yongnuo to flash off camera is as an optical slave. Since it will only fire when your on camera flash fires, you'll need to turn the on camera flash down to lowest output so that it won't contribute (much) to the exposure
03-09-2014, 10:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ah ok I see now. I figured it would operate the same way as it when it is mounted on the camera.

Will have to save for another flash, any recommendations?

03-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Another Yongnuo? Or a set of radio triggers if you do not really need the flash itself.
03-09-2014, 10:53 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
you can use a wireless radio trigger to fire it, even the P-TTL flashes will fire the on camera flash, it just may not contribute much to the exposure (depending on settings) as it would likely be the controller for off camera flashes.

as already mentioned, you can just turn the on camera flash to its lowest setting such it contributes little, you could also bounce the on camera flash with a small card toward the off camera flash if you have enough hands. The card would block it from the scene, but still trigger the off camera.
03-09-2014, 10:57 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
If you want REAL wireless PTTL, you would need either a Pentax, Metz, or Sigma Super flash, and have your pop up flash set as "control" instead of "master".
I am not sure what you mean by REAL. With those flashes and that setup the off-camera flashes still use an optical trigger for wireless operation. What's more, even when set as control, the on-camera flash still contributes a small amount to the final image.

Steve
03-09-2014, 11:26 PM   #8

Photos: Gallery
Your flash will be fine. You just need a way to connect it to the camera, and it seems you don't want to use the optical slave, whereby your Yongnuo is triggered by another flash burst.

I bought one of these and am very happy with it:
FlashZebra Camera Hotshoe Adapter with 5 Meter Cord and Flash Hotshoe Adapter

You attach one end to your camera's hot shoe, and stick the other end on your stand, and mount the Yongnuo on top. It won't give you automatic metering, but if you are happy to experiment with manual mode, it will do the job very well.

03-10-2014, 03:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I am not sure what you mean by REAL
There is a wireless link for data to certain flashes to get features like HSS and trailing curtain.