Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-10-2014, 05:00 AM   #1

K20D flashgun Yongnuo

Hi

I'm looking to get a flashgun for my K20D and am getting very confused about what is suitable.

I'd love to spend a fortune and get a dedicated Pentax flash designed for the camera, but have limited budget and have seen the Yongnuo YN-560 II and YN-560 III on amazon at very reasonable prices, plus a friend has the Yongnuo YN-568 for his Canon camera and is very happy with it.

Can I get some advice as what to get, I'd like something that has a few functions so not just the simple fixed flash - seemingly the YN-560 would be great, but will it work with a K20D???

Thanks in advance.

03-10-2014, 05:53 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The YN-560 is a simple flash, there is no exposure automation at all, you set the power level. Yongnuo doesn't make any automated flashes for Pentax, just Canon and Nikon. The YN-560s are great for off camera work and are easy to use once you get the hang of manual flash exposure.

What do you plan on using the flash for?
03-10-2014, 06:43 AM   #3

Original Poster
I'm taking photos at my sisters wedding, not as "photographer" but just to get some nice pictures indoors in the evening, the wedding is in the middle of April so I want to buy a flash ASAP so I can start playing with it and getting used to it.

So if I want an automated one that "talks" to the camera what is the best value? Or is it best to have a manual one with lots of features like the 560?

---------- Post added 03-10-2014 at 06:46 AM ----------

Also has anyone experience of the Metz 36 AF-5 Digital Flashgun, I assume this is automatic?
03-10-2014, 07:11 AM   #4
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
You could learn the basics of manual flash in that time frame, but that is a tough situation to try to use it.

The Metz 36 AF-5 is a bare bones P-TTL flash, it has automated exposure but not much else. It is lacking on power as well, so if you are intending to bounce off the ceiling it might be a little weak. The lack of swivel can be annoying for bouncing as well. It is one of the better P-TTL options in the price range though.

This site has pretty much everything you need to know about selecting a P-TTL flash.
The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison

There is a middle option, between fully manual and P-TTL. Before TTL flash metering there were "auto thyristor" flashes, they had their own light sensor and you just need to set your aperture and ISO appropriately and they take care of the flash exposure. There are a huge variety of these on the used market, though not all are safe for use on modern cameras. One that is safe and a good value for money is the Pentax AF280T.

03-10-2014, 08:49 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
There is a middle option, between fully manual and P-TTL. Before TTL flash metering there were "auto thyristor" flashes, they had their own light sensor and you just need to set your aperture and ISO appropriately and they take care of the flash exposure. There are a huge variety of these on the used market, though not all are safe for use on modern cameras. One that is safe and a good value for money is the Pentax AF280T.
My thoughts as well, particularly in regards to the AF280T. I took delivery of one from KEH last week and have been very favorably impressed (price about $30 USD). Although it was originally designed for use with the original Pentax analog TTL (has no digital data pin), it does support a subset of the current protocol and will work great in either of its auto-thyristor modes when mounted to any Pentax dSLR. By working great, I mean:
  • It will properly set the aperture based on the camera's ISO setting and yes, it even works with auto-ISO
  • It will also signal the shutter speed to not exceed 1/180s
  • Flash duration is managed by the flash using its on-board light sensor
  • The flash automation also works when using the bounce feature
The camera should be in P or Tv mode for the flash to control the aperture. M or Av mode may also be used, but then the ISO must be set on the flash with the aperture set manually by the user according to the scale on the back of the flash.

I also own the Sigma EF 610 DG Super. The AF280T is lighter and more compact and compares well for performance except for when high power is needed.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 03-10-2014 at 11:17 AM.