Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fgaudet Quote
I'm with you but against you at the same time. But there are a few things we need to consider.
Hi

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

Things are not that simple. Having been in photography nearly 50 years let me assure you I know a fair bit that is to know in photography even if I say so myself. I spent countless hours in the darkroom (the one with the red light) to doctor photos. All the tricks such as Vaselin and such are not new to me either.

And there is a difference touching up a model (in the photographic sense of course) to remove a temporary blemish such a pimple or perhaps a scar to that of of a less than perfect skin of a newly born baby. Models sometimes even plant a beauty spot somewhere on their faces. Minor or even greater blemishes ought to be dealt with with makeup and powder. And in any case, it is not advisable to use your sharpest lens for closeups because there is no interest in seeing all the pores and facial fuss.

But I must agree peoples perception and memory of what they have seen or observed is, as far as photography is concerned, somewhat unreliable. This can be best observed when people post their sunset shots on photosites, they are, with few exceptions, oversaturated. Why ? because people remember that sunset as something really stunning and powerful at the time and at home at the computer they crank up the colours to what they think they saw or perhaps to make an impact to impress.

My personal experience as far as baby photographs is concerned is somewhat different from your generalization to strive for skin perfection. This is the reason for my above comment I posted. I have taken photos of my niece's three children just after birth and she most definitely did not want any skin repairs when I was giving her the option. Known in the cul-de-sac where I live (thirty years now) everybody knows I am in photography and as a consequence I was ask by three families to take pictures of their newly born. (Total 5) and it may come as a surprise to you to learn that only at one occasion where the child was born by forceps delivery was I ask if I could lessen the marks in her face.

So the blemish free just born skin desire is not every body's wish in my experience. But I can also see the other side of the coin.

Greetings and best regards

03-14-2014, 12:08 AM   #17
Site Supporter

Being a nurse, who works peds/well-baby/post-partum regularly, I can tell you that there are some pretty gruesome traumatizing deliveries that you do not want to memorialize the marks. Forceps and vacuum suction can bruise up a kiddo. A long time of pushing and/or a kid stuck under mom's pelvic bone can also make for some funky looking kidlets. If baby looks like the delivery was brutal, you might need some more creative retouching.
03-14-2014, 01:17 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Being a nurse, who works peds/well-baby/post-partum regularly, I can tell you that there are some pretty gruesome traumatizing deliveries that you do not want to memorialize the marks. Forceps and vacuum suction can bruise up a kiddo. A long time of pushing and/or a kid stuck under mom's pelvic bone can also make for some funky looking kidlets. If baby looks like the delivery was brutal, you might need some more creative retouching.

Absolutely, fully agree. But I don't think we are talking about these extreme cases. Do we?
03-14-2014, 01:28 AM   #19
Site Supporter

Nah. But even just normal newborn skin can have some oddness to it. The little milia (baby acne), the acrocyanosis of their extremeties, mottling. That's all normal newborn stuff. And you can avoid the mottling acrocyanotic look by making sure baby is warm and wrapped until you're absolutely ready to take pictures. That just leaves typical newborn blemishes like milia, scratches, etc.

03-14-2014, 02:49 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

But even just normal newborn skin can have some oddness to it.
In my limited experience all have.

by making sure baby is warm and wrapped until you're absolutely ready to take pictures.
That's what all experienced photographers do or else they do their work in an overheated room. I think this is why in the old days in winter a lot of photos were taken on a sheep skin in front of an open fire place.

I don't know, but this perfect skin/look thing could be part of a typical American obsession as evidenced by some of the disastrous child beauty pageants we read here from time to time. Overzealous parents are responsible for this I guess.

Different countries with their different values, cultures and ideals may have something to do with it.

Greetings
03-14-2014, 02:52 AM   #21
Site Supporter

I've seen a few (a very limited few) that just have gorgeous porcelain doll skin from the minute they get here.
03-14-2014, 03:39 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've seen a few (a very limited few) that just have gorgeous porcelain doll skin from the minute they get here.
I guess you could add some blemishes then to make it look real.

(My lousy sense of humor got the better of me again )

03-18-2014, 09:10 AM   #23
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
So what's so terrible about a few skin blotches on a new baby's complexion.

Regards
You got kids?

Who wants a baby picture where the kid looks like he's got 3rd degree burns.
03-18-2014, 12:10 PM   #24
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Who wants a baby picture where the kid looks like he's got 3rd degree burns.
Nobody, I can assure you.
Don't exaggerate! (My sarcasm meter did not react to your statement.)
A few light blotches and third degree burns (perhaps full thickness burns) look dramatically different.
Third degree burns: All layers of the skin are destroyed, areas can appear black or white and crusty, subcutaneous tissue is destroyed. The smell is quite distinct.
03-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Planned c-sections...

Steve
03-18-2014, 01:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Planned c-sections...

Steve
That depends on the doctor's skill & care. I've seen some manhandle a kid getting it out.