Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2014, 10:13 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
M42 Adaptall stuck in K30!?!?!

Hey guys! So I was just REALLY happy to get my "new" Tammi in the postage about 20 minutes ago, but I've run into a slight problem. I purchased a genuine Tamron m42 adaptall for mounting, as well as a genuine P/K > M42 adapter, but now the adaptall mount seems stuck!? I can't remove it but normal means it seems and I don't want to try to "forcefully" twist it out.

Has anyone run into issues of this sort, or is it possible that there's (hopefully) user error....?

Edit: Found my problem. User error indeed.

Last edited by NomNamNom; 03-11-2014 at 10:40 AM.
03-11-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by NomNamNom Quote
Hey guys! So I was just REALLY happy to get my "new" Tammi in the postage about 20 minutes ago, but I've run into a slight problem. I purchased a genuine Tamron m42 adaptall for mounting, as well as a genuine P/K > M42 adapter, but now the adaptall mount seems stuck!? I can't remove it but normal means it seems and I don't want to try to "forcefully" twist it out.

Has anyone run into issues of this sort, or is it possible that there's (hopefully) user error....?
The lens + mount + adapter is all stuck to the camera? (And why didn't you just get a Pentax mount for the Adaptall?)
03-11-2014, 10:19 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
The lens + mount + adapter is all stuck to the camera? (And why didn't you just get a Pentax mount for the Adaptall?)
The lens is removeable. It's the adaptall mount that's stuck. I didn't buy a P/K variation so that I could use it on other bodies in the future.

Last edited by NomNamNom; 03-11-2014 at 10:39 AM.
03-11-2014, 01:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Maybe you can share your user error with us; it might make for a good laugh

But more serious, others might run into the same problem and might find the solution in this thread.

03-11-2014, 05:46 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I guess I could.

Well, as I twisted it in, it felt and sounded to click into place. It wouldn't screw in any further and it wouldn't back out either. Turns out to mount it on completely, or remove it, I would have to hold down the K-mount's release button. That was because the little protruding piece connected to the release button seems to stick itself into a dark little crevice, home to one of the three screws on the mount's surface.

This left me so dumbfounded, since before mounting the adaptall, I scanned it's mount to make sure it wouldn't "lock" itself onto the m42 adapter. This goes to show that I should be checking all of the gear involved beforehand, instead of just the new one.
03-11-2014, 11:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks.
03-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The lens is removeable. It's the adaptall mount that's stuck. I didn't buy a P/K variation so that I could use it on other bodies in the future.

You are in for another surprise. Guess what? Your Adaptall-2 M42 mount does not have a M/A switch. What that means is that your adapted lens will always shoot wide open. You may be able to modify the Adaptall-2 M42 adapter so that the aperture actuator pin is always depressed, but it may just be easier to buy the K-mount version. They are cheap.

That was because the little protruding piece connected to the release button seems to stick itself into a dark little crevice, home to one of the three screws on the mount's surface.
Depressing the release button when using adapted lenses is a good general practice. Many M42 lenses have screw holes on the mount face.

Steve

03-14-2014, 07:41 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You are in for another surprise. Guess what? Your Adaptall-2 M42 mount does not have a M/A switch. What that means is that your adapted lens will always shoot wide open. You may be able to modify the Adaptall-2 M42 adapter so that the aperture actuator pin is always depressed, but it may just be easier to buy the K-mount version. They are cheap.

Depressing the release button when using adapted lenses is a good general practice. Many M42 lenses have screw holes on the mount face.

Steve
I've got the pin depressed already, courtesy of another Pentaxian's DIY.

I will begin using the release button more often from now on, it just caught me off guard, since my Takumars haven't done that.

Now I need to find a nice place to bring this lovely lens to!