Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 12:34 PM   #1

Using RAW first time

I am a new K3 user. I have always shot jpeg. I want to shot raw. How do I tell the camera to shoot raw?

Steve

03-12-2014, 12:41 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It's in recording mode, check the manual. It's easy to find in the menus. You can tell it to shoot RAW+ jpg if you want.
03-12-2014, 12:42 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

You can quickly change it from the control panel/status screen. Select the box that says jpeg and turn the edial until you see raw, or raw+.

Screenshot:

It's second from the left in the bottom row.

You can also change the file format in the record menu or using the customizable raw button on the side of the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
03-12-2014, 12:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You also need to decide which RAW format you want to use. You can select DNG or PEF. PEF is Pentax proprietary format, DNG is the Adobe 'standard' format. If you use Lightroom or Photoshop DNG is generally a better choice. With other software, check to see which format is supported.

03-12-2014, 12:47 PM   #5

Original Poster
I use Aperture and it does not accept raw from a K3 yet. I have an Adobe converter. Which would you use to feed the converter?

Steve

---------- Post added 03-12-14 at 03:59 PM ----------

I got to work for me. Took the images to the converter and loaded them into Aperture. I guess this is the work around until Apple gets the Pentax format working.

Thanks for your assistance.

Steve
03-12-2014, 01:02 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I have an Adobe converter. Which would you use to feed the converter?
I believe there is a thread on this somewhere here. Just shoot DNG and then feed the DNGs into the DNG converter. Sounds weird but apparently works.
03-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Also when shooting RAW you are going to need a lot of memory since the files are huge. I highly recommend picking up 2 or 3 16gb cards.

03-13-2014, 01:24 PM   #8

Original Poster
I shoot an image in Raw and one using jpeg. The results seem to be about the same to me. What am I missing?

Steve
03-13-2014, 11:44 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I shoot an image in Raw and one using jpeg. The results seem to be about the same to me. What am I missing?

Steve
The difference is that you can edit the RAW file non-destructively in your software of choice. The changes you make to a RAW file are not actually changes to the file itself. They are only references to the changes you made. These references are stored by the editing software and applied to a JPG of the RAW file when you export it. The exported JPG file is what you then use as your finished image. The RAW file is always there, unchanged by the editing software, waiting for you to come edit it again and make another version.

If you were to attempt the same with a JPG file, every time you make a change, you are actually irrevocably destroying the original data. This degeneration accumulates and can result in an image that only gets worse, never better with successive edits.

If you just want the picture and don't anticipate any need to make changes, you can skip the whole step and shoot JPG in the camera. There are editing options in the camera that you can use beforehand that will tell the camera to generate the JPG to your specifications from the RAW file that is captured by the sensor.
03-14-2014, 03:46 AM   #10
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I use an editing programme called Fast Stone, can that show images shot in raw please?
03-14-2014, 04:09 AM   #11
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AuraTodd Quote
I use an editing programme called Fast Stone, can that show images shot in raw please?
Fast Stone is one of the more popular free editors. GIMP and (I think) Picasa are the others that are pretty popular.
03-14-2014, 04:48 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AuraTodd Quote
Yes it can. But by default it will load the embedded JPEG from the RAW file (it is much quicker to do that). To force it to render and display the RAW image press 'A' when in the viewer mode or change the settings (Settings > RAW).
03-14-2014, 11:54 AM   #13
Forum Member

Okay thanks, what size SD card would you recommend for RAW please?
03-14-2014, 12:06 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Big!

Actually, I carry a variety of 16GB & 32gb.
03-14-2014, 12:16 PM   #15
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Big!

Actually, I carry a variety of 16GB & 32gb.
Yeah but how big? (not half a mile I hope)