Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-12-2014, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #16
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thats it. Perfect thinking.

Always buy a new lens whenever you have an important new project coming up.

03-12-2014, 10:15 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
Thats it. Perfect thinking.

Always buy a new lens whenever you have an important new project coming up.
And I guess a tripod, since I don't already have one...
03-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter

You could totally do it without the tripod, but the results would likely be psychedelic.

A good tripod is your friend. A mediocre tripod is your "frienemy".
Setting the camera on the car doesn't work very well. Automobile suspensions constantly bounce and sway all over the place. Placing the camera directly on the ground or on some kind of beanbag on a rock or tree-stump is plenty stable, but almost never gives the angle you want.

From the technical side of things, long exposures are pretty simple. Choose your vantage point and frame your shot in your lens of choice. ISO 100, F8, 1 second. Too bright, aperture moves toward 16. Too dark, shutter goes toward 8 seconds. Everything else is up to her artistic eye. She will have a quality pic in two or three shots, but she will take 20 more as soon as she find out how easy it is.

Since she is photographing cityscape lights at night, a neutral density filter won't come into play. In the daytime its a whole other animal.
03-12-2014, 11:38 PM   #19
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you get a tripod be careful moving it with camera on it--that's the most common way to trip and destroy a lens/camera. A light cheap one can do fine if you hang a weight (5-10 lb) [a book back, etc.] on it. rbefly had more suggestions about tripod. The fast zoom you ordered should be perfect.

03-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
And I guess a tripod, since I don't already have one...
That's the way!

And turn on the 2s delay when you do to cut out the mirror slap.
03-13-2014, 08:04 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Can the remote release be tripped by a smartphone or do I need to order a remote? Like, quick?
03-13-2014, 08:32 AM   #22
Pentaxian

Can the remote release be tripped by a smartphone or do I need to order a remote? Like, quick?
You can use the self-timer instead of a remote release since you're shooting a static subject.

---------- Post added 03-13-2014 at 11:34 AM ----------

Does your city have many mirrored buildings? If so, getting a long ways away from the skyline and shooting slightly before sunset will turn all those mirrored buildings a very nice gold.
03-13-2014, 08:51 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I don't think they're mirrored.

03-13-2014, 09:32 AM   #24
Pentaxian

The full moon is on the 16th. That can make a photo more interesting. If you shoot on the 15th or the 17th, you can get a nearly full moon rising or setting in a blue-hour sky. If your skyline is a few miles away and the moon is low, the moon looks larger.

Panoramas are good if the sky is not that interesting.

Once you find a spot, set up and get the right sky, taking the shots is the easy part. So it's easy to bracket exposures, change white balance, try in-camera HDR or other stuff.
03-13-2014, 09:42 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
We can shoot the dawn & twilight hours on the 17th. And the dawn/twilight hours on the 19th, probably.

Her project is due the 31st. I will print it from a local printer. No send out & wait.
03-13-2014, 11:28 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Some great advice here. The best I think is:
1) shoot at 'blue hour' and get an interesting balance of artificial and natural light.
2) USE A TRIPOD!!!!!!!
03-13-2014, 02:43 PM   #27

The shot will most likely be taken with the K-x, since that is hers & my k-5ii is set up the way I want it & I don't want to change it to suit her unless there's some extremely compelling reason she can't get a good shot with the K-x.

Lenses...

I'll have to dig them all out.

DAL 18-55
DAL 55-300
DA 35
DA 50
Sigma 28-105 2.8-4
F35-70
FA28-70 f/4

I've got more. I'll have to look. I do have a 28mm all manual lens. (No automatic anything.)
The 28 should work well.

Like others have said, use a tripod. A cable release that allows you to set the camera to Bulb and lock the shutter open can help too. I find that longer exposures at lower ISO really can pull the color our of the sky.

Here are some shots I did at night, dawn and dusk.

This first one was done with a Sigma 4.5mm circular fisheye at F4 1600 ISO, under a full moon, late in the evening. Part of the illumination was from the porch lights on the house and the area light on the front of the shop, the rest is moonlight.

This one was done with the DA 10-17, F5.6, 1600 ISO the moonlight is the only light source.

The next two were shot at dawn with the DA 10-17 at 100 ISO.

These last ones were shot just before dawn, and while the sky was getting light. DA 10-17, 100 ISO. In the first one it was still completely dark, and hour or so before sunrise. I intentionally held the shutter open for a very long time, a minute or two, to try and get the stars exposed.

This one was at F4

The next two were at F8 I used a flashlight to "paint" the truck and kind of fill in the foreground.

Experiment. Have fun!

Last edited by Racer X 69; 03-13-2014 at 02:50 PM.
03-13-2014, 11:50 PM   #28
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Mobile Skyline and Mobile River from Cochran-Africatown Bridge Mobile Alabama | al.com

This is about the best picture I can find, but the spot I have selected puts us over a bit from this perspective. We'll still have the port and the RSA tower and the hotel. The port has work mostly 24/7, so it should be lit up pretty much anytime we go.

And I think I've got my signature up to date now with all the shtuff I have bought off eBay...

Last edited by dansamy; 03-14-2014 at 01:35 AM.
03-14-2014, 09:01 AM   #29

Mobile Skyline and Mobile River from Cochran-Africatown Bridge Mobile Alabama | al.com

This is about the best picture I can find, but the spot I have selected puts us over a bit from this perspective. We'll still have the port and the RSA tower and the hotel. The port has work mostly 24/7, so it should be lit up pretty much anytime we go.
So you will be looking South towards the city then?
03-14-2014, 12:03 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
So you will be looking South towards the city then?
Umm... I have no idea which cardinal direction we're facing at that particular vantage point. I think it's south by southwest