Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Mobile Skyline and Mobile River from Cochran-Africatown Bridge Mobile Alabama | al.com

This is about the best picture I can find, but the spot I have selected puts us over a bit from this perspective. We'll still have the port and the RSA tower and the hotel. The port has work mostly 24/7, so it should be lit up pretty much anytime we go.

And I think I've got my signature up to date now with all the shtuff I have bought off eBay...
Evening,

So, I took Mobile, Alabama and went to google maps and looked for an evening skyline view. I came up with map #1. It shows that it was taken down in the dock area across the river. I figured that was probably not too accessible, so I used google earth and its streetview to "drive" along Dunlap Drive, the frontage road that runs in front of Austal, and found what looks like a reasonable location, just south of the plant. I then went to and dropped the location pin at the area and had it calculate sun and moon times and angles. It looks like you can get a sunset real near the large buildings downtown, along with lots of blue hour. So that is map#2. Then the third image is from google earth showing the view during the day. I measured some distances using google earth's tape measure, then using some geometry, it looks like a 28mm focal length should capture everything at the widest and probably 70mm at the narrowest. I just don't know where all the buildings are actually located downtown so as to be able to measure accurately - so I just estimated where I thought they might be. Bottom line, your zoom would work really well for this location.

As for times this weekend
  • Sat 15.03.2014 sunset 19:02 @ 269° at 19:26 and twilight lasts for 24 min
  • Sun 16.03.2014 sunset 19:03 @ 269° at 19:27 and twilight lasts for 24 min
You have a lot of lenses that would work really well... essentially all of them would work for various views
DAL 18-55
DAL 55-300
DA 35
DA 50
Sigma 28-105 2.8-4
F35-70
FA28-70 f/4
Tamron 17-50/2.8

If need be, you could zoom in and shoot over the possible uninteresting foreground and then stitch the images together in a panorama.

Hope that helps....

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.
03-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
That was incredibly helpful actually. Due to my work schedule, we will be shooting Monday am, Monday pm & maybe Tuesday. If we dont like what we got Monday.
03-14-2014, 09:11 PM   #33
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dansamy Quote
Umm... I have no idea which cardinal direction we're facing at that particular vantage point. I think it's south by southwest
I kinda figured that the view in that picture you posted was from about where US-90 crosses the Mobile river, but from a higher elevation.

I kinda went the same route as Interested Observer did, but didn't bother to post all the 8 x 10 color glossy photos with the circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one describing all the circles and arrows.

But he did a great job with all those visual aids.

It has been a few years since I have been down that way, and I can't recall if there are any high areas near there to get up for taking a decent view shot.
03-14-2014, 10:53 PM   #34
Site Supporter

Original Poster
If you look at the Cochrane Africatown bridge on Alt 90, that's where I'm referring to. It goes over the Mobile river.

03-16-2014, 07:11 PM   #35
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, I've picked up an inexpensive tripod from the local big box store, but I don't know if it will be worth keeping. It might allow us the ability to grab shots good enough for this project. It might be too lightweight for even that. We'll try it out.