Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
03-25-2014, 08:47 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Making a change in camera is just plain wrong, Its in Post Processing where you need to work, so much more flexibility.

Use good software that allows the right options.

Example, Photoshop CS2, - this is a free product and allows all the options and more you will ever need.

When you use it look at using the channels.

Channels lets you select only the Red channel of your image, exactly the same as using a red filter.

The result is not a red image, but a monochrome image using only the red content.

This is EXACTLY the same as a red filter effect and is therefore exactly what your looking for.

It doesn't stop here though, there are many other channel mixing and desaturation options in the software.

An doing in Post Processing leaves your original image unchanged so you can reprocess it later.

03-25-2014, 10:29 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote
Making a change in camera is just plain wrong, Its in Post Processing where you need to work, so much more flexibility.
If the camera is shooting RAW+JPEG, changing camera settings will change the image on the rear LCD, so you can see if you're getting a decent shot to work on later. The RAW data is still there for processing. That can be important because the camera's meter isn't color-specific, so checking the RGB histogram in the field will show if one color is overexposed.

I do something similar when I shoot with an infrared filter.
03-26-2014, 07:16 AM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imageman Quote

Use good software that allows the right options.

Example, Photoshop CS2, - this is a free product and allows all the options and more you will ever need.

When you use it look at using the channels.

Channels lets you select only the Red channel of your image, exactly the same as using a red filter.

The result is not a red image, but a monochrome image using only the red content.

This is EXACTLY the same as a red filter effect and is therefore exactly what your looking for.

It doesn't stop here though, there are many other channel mixing and desaturation options in the software.

An doing in Post Processing leaves your original image unchanged so you can reprocess it later.
thanks imageman and just 1moreDave I can see the logic in doing this by post processing I'll give that a go I guess I have a lot more to learn as digital is so different to good old film

---------- Post added 03-26-14 at 07:18 AM ----------

thanks imageman and just 1moreDave I can see the logic in doing this by post processing I'll give that a go I guess I have a lot more to learn as digital is so different to good old film
03-29-2014, 07:55 PM   #19
Veteran Member

You can always set the camera to b&w and simply still use your red filter. Just because you are shooting digital doesn't mean the old filters stop working. They still affect light the same way they always did, and BETTER than post-processing, because they still affect the light at an infinitely small scale.

03-30-2014, 05:31 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by zekewhipper Quote
You can always set the camera to b&w and simply still use your red filter. Just because you are shooting digital doesn't mean the old filters stop working. They still affect light the same way they always did, and BETTER than post-processing, because they still affect the light at an infinitely small scale.
thank you zekewhisper I didn't realise that that would work It seems like I have a lot of different options to chose from
03-30-2014, 04:31 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by romster Quote
thank you zekewhisper I didn't realise that that would work It seems like I have a lot of different options to chose from
You're welcome. I had a first generation DSLR that to get the WB right under tungsten lighting I had to resort to using a traditional color balancing filter. DSLR's have come a long way in just ten years.