Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-14-2014, 07:57 AM   #1

advice required on which filter required for an effect im after

Hi having only recently switched from Film to Digital ( Kr)
I wonder if someone could advise me on how to achieve a particular effect which I'm after?

I want to try to emulate the results which a red filter would give you with black and white film. where clouds a would be very white and the sky dark ( a nice contrast )effect any help would be really appreciated
thanks

03-14-2014, 08:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by romster Quote
Hi having only recently switched from Film to Digital ( Kr)
I wonder if someone could advise me on how to achieve a particular effect which I'm after?

I want to try to emulate the results which a red filter would give you with black and white film. where clouds a would be very white and the sky dark ( a nice contrast )effect any help would be really appreciated
thanks
If you're shooting in colour, a polarizing filter has that effect on sky. Some digital sensors allegedly have problems with linear polarizing filters but not with circular polarizing filters. However, Pentax states that you can use linear polarizing filters with their cameras without any problem.
03-14-2014, 08:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest that you try post processing with Faststone, a free downloadable program. There is a highlights slider in the lighting menu that will brighten the clouds, and there is a contrast slider in both the colour and the lighting menus. You can play around for hours, improving and ruining shots to your heart's content.

Or try the Nik series of image manipulation apps.
03-14-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Shooting scenes with a digital camera to emulate the effect of a red filter with film doesn't require a specific filter. As has been noted, a polarizer will darken the sky, but only if the sun is at a 90 degree angle to you during capture. So if you're shooting with the sun near the horizon either directly in front or behind you, the filter has no affect. If the sun is to right, left or directly overhead, the CPL will be at its strongest.

The best way to get the "red filter" effect with digital is done in post processing. Lightroom is great for this. Lightroom has the ability to choose a specific color and alter only that color within the scene. The alterations can be either or a mixture of hue, saturation and luminosity.

Nik Silver Efex Pro - Arguably the best software for B&W conversion, Silver Efex Pro has many tools to control contrast globally or locally with control points. The program provides you with the ability to choose a filter effect just by clicking on the various colored buttons (blue, green, yellow, orange and red).

03-14-2014, 09:04 AM   #5

Original Poster
thank you all for your replies looks like im gong to have to get to grips with post processing and download or buy an application
03-14-2014, 09:14 AM - 1 Like   #6

If you process with Apple Aperture, there is a black and white conversion with red filter option.
03-14-2014, 09:49 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you still have the red filters from film days, they should still work the same. You should be able to do the same thing with free software. Here is a quick example using Lightroom 4, not free but not a lot more than a good filter. I used a photo in my catalog taken with a K-7 and a DA 16-45/4, then applied Lightroom's Red Hi-Contrast Filter preset. From that, changing the contrast should be easy.

03-14-2014, 10:10 AM   #8

Original Poster
thank you Prairie Dog and Just 1MoreDave that's what I m looking for A loot of people have suggested light room 4 and a friend of mine has sent me a 1.5 hour tutorial on this product too so I think that's the way forward for me now
03-16-2014, 05:33 PM   #9

thank you Prairie Dog and Just 1MoreDave that's what I m looking for A loot of people have suggested light room 4 and a friend of mine has sent me a 1.5 hour tutorial on this product too so I think that's the way forward for me now
On the Kr set the dial to SCN then select the scene Blue Sky it is similar to what you're looking for.
03-17-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The built in b&w custom image setting has a colour filter option, and red filter is among the options. Just mentioning this in case you're looking for a way that doesn't involve post processing.

Regards,
--Anders.
03-17-2014, 01:01 PM - 1 Like   #11
Veteran Member

thanks

Easy in camera :

Press INFO > Top left case > B&W > press down > select RED FILTER

I suggest you to shoot "RAW +" to have Raw and Jpeg. the B&W processing will apply to Jpeg only, and if your not happy you can manually process the Raw file.

I know, i'm awesome

Anders is too btw !
03-17-2014, 02:04 PM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
Easy in camera :

Press INFO > Top left case > B&W > press down > select RED FILTER

I suggest you to shoot "RAW +" to have Raw and Jpeg. the B&W processing will apply to Jpeg only, and if your not happy you can manually process the Raw file.

I know, i'm awesome

Anders is too btw !
yes Anders that is awesome I'll be sure to check that out tomorrow. I've already customised my green button to select custom filters so ill pick the black and white and press info and se if i can find the red which you mention
thank you
03-17-2014, 02:08 PM - 1 Like   #13
Veteran Member

yes Anders that is awesome I'll be sure to check that out tomorrow. I've already customised my green button to select custom filters so ill pick the black and white and press info and se if i can find the red which you mention
thank you

now, you can say i'm awesome too

Come on ! awesome-ize me
03-17-2014, 02:18 PM   #14

Original Poster
yes aurele, you too are awesome I now know exactly where to go and make the change
I'm so glad I joined this forum its full of helpful people and great advice
03-17-2014, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #15
Veteran Member

yes aurele, you too are awesome I now know exactly where to go and make the change
I'm so glad I joined this forum its full of helpful people and great advice
You are welcome ! And thanks for awesomizing me