Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 07:00 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
I bought another lens but have to return it. It has purple fringing really bad.

And I wanted to thank all of you who responded to help me.

03-20-2014, 06:41 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Most all of the older super zooms are going to tend to have fringing, even my newer Pentax DA 55-300mm Wr has a little. Fringing & chromatic aberration can usually be taken care of with decent processing software. Why not look for a good used Pentax Da L 55-300mm? You should be able to find one relatively inexpensive. if not take a look at a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro, not the dl super macro one though
03-20-2014, 07:47 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have only run into this fringing thing with one other lens. My previously owned Samyang 100-500mm. This newest lens is the Sigma 70-300mm DL Macro Super. I don't care much for the Pentax 55-300mm only because it doesn't have the "macro" setting on it. Otherwise, I'd have to crop too much to get the tiny American Gold Finches that are currently feeding in my backyard.

Cleaning up the fringing is what I've been doing since the new lens came yesterday. It's just a pain the but to do this is all.
03-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #19
Pentaxian

Yep that is where the APO version is better, less chroma and fringing. i had the DL super macro and wasn't impressed with it at all. To me the only thing it did well on was the macro (close up), otherwise my copy was overly soft at any aperture and with trying to fine AF tune it.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-20-2014 at 10:24 AM.
03-20-2014, 12:43 PM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I took that element out of the back of the lens but there is another glass piece between the hazy element and the other piece of glass. the end element looks almost like a covering, sort of, the other piece of glass looks magnified. I can show you with a photo if you need to see what I'm talking about. I don't know how to remove the inner magnified glass. And the outer piece looks to be plastic.
03-20-2014, 12:52 PM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
I took that element out of the back of the lens but there is another glass piece between the hazy element and the other piece of glass. the end element looks almost like a covering, sort of, the other piece of glass looks magnified. I can show you with a photo if you need to see what I'm talking about. I don't know how to remove the inner magnified glass. And the outer piece looks to be plastic.
photo please... I need to see if it requires using a spanner wrench.

This is how the lenses align

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-20-2014 at 01:25 PM.
03-20-2014, 03:10 PM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
After I took the photos of the inside of this lens tube, I can see where I could use a spanner wrench to losen the inner lens and remove it.

Last edited by photolady95; 03-21-2017 at 08:54 PM.
03-20-2014, 07:42 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I was looking at spanner wrenches and I found a few but can't order them until I know what size mm that inside ring is. Would you happen to know that?

03-21-2014, 05:36 AM   #24
Pentaxian

I was looking at spanner wrenches and I found a few but can't order them until I know what size mm that inside ring is. Would you happen to know that?
Get one with different size tips and it is adjustable to fit what ever the groove span is from narrow to wide. This one would work it is what I use;
3 Tip Professional Spanner Wrench Lens Repair Tool New | eBay

You would use the small flat tip and adjust the width to fit into the groves, then carefully but firmly press down so it does not slip out of the grooves and turn the ring counter clock wise. If you do happen to scratch the surface of the metal somewhat you can use a sharpie to re darken the surface. Do be careful not to mar the screw thread surface on the cap.

Ps from this photo it is looking like it might be fungus but no biggie it's easy to remove.

Last edited by Oldbayrunner; 03-21-2014 at 05:51 AM.
03-21-2014, 08:54 AM   #25
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks. I found this one on Amazon:
Amazon.com: XCSOURCE

I don't much like ebay and that one you posted is more expensive. Thanks for the instructions also.
03-21-2014, 09:02 AM   #26
Site Supporter

After I took the photos of the inside of this lens tube, I can see where I could use a spanner wrench to losen the inner lens and remove it.

Looks like your making good progress.

re lens spanners. Mine is also a cheap one off ebay.Doesn't have swappable ends just double ended point and spade. That's sufficient for 98% of circumstances IMO. It works but little issues are the slippery nature of the bars and screws, often had it lose its adjustment in use. Maybe the one you're looking at will be better with an alum key to lock the screws (though I can tell you now that will be fiddly!).
In retrospect I wish I had gone for a better quality one (I also succeeded in bending the point ends on this), with turned out ends for reaching into cylindrical spaces.
03-21-2014, 09:14 AM   #27
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Yep, making progress and I have to say, I've needed a spanner wrench for some time, just never got around to buying one. Now that I have to have one to fix my favorite lens, seems like the time to get it.

I won't be able to get this until the first of April when I get paid. Maybe by then my hands won't be shaking and I could use it.

QuoteOriginally posted by marcusBMG Quote
(though I can tell you now that will be fiddly!
Thanks for that tip.
04-03-2014, 08:11 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Just an update. The spanner wrench will be here today but I won't be able to do anything with it until later tonight. I have bills to pay today.
04-07-2014, 07:20 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I used the spanner wrench and removed the inner lens but there is another lens under that one and I can't seem to remove that one. There is no place to attach the spanner wrench, no grooves or any other way I can see. When I touch it, it wiggles but won't drop out even trying to tap it lightly on a table. Any idea how to get the second one out?
04-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #30
Site Supporter

Hmm if its "in the tube" so to speak then persevere tapping etc to winkle it out.