Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 12:19 PM   #16

Original Poster
Solved - Thank you

It was indeed a hair (no surprises here). I removed it. I used a soft microfiber cleaning cloth.

But, I didn't see it to its end. What I mean by this is, is that when I remove dust/hair from something I would like to hold it and see. For example when you have something in your eye. After you remove it, you want to closely inspect it. I was not able to do that in this case, unfortunately. Hopefully it is gone; I didn't see the speck in new pics that I clicked.

Thank you all for your quick and to-the-point helpful responses. Needless to say, without your advice, I would have panicked.

Last edited by kmhtax; 03-18-2014 at 04:14 PM. Reason: Typo
03-18-2014, 04:03 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kmhtax Quote
It was indeed a hair (no surprises here). I removed it. I used a soft microfiber cleaning cloth.

But, I didn't see it to its end. What I mean by this is, is that when I remove dust/hair from something I would like to hold it and see. For example when you have something in your eye. After you remove it, you want to closely inspect it. I was not able to do that in this case, unfortunately. Hopefully it is gone; I didn't see the speck in new pics that I clicked.

Thank you all for your click and to-the-point helpful responses. Needless to say, without your advice, I would have panicked.
Another satisfied customer
03-18-2014, 04:15 PM   #18

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Another satisfied customer
Indeed
03-18-2014, 05:13 PM   #19
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kmhtax Quote
Nevermind the previous post. I was afraid to look eye-to-eye with sensor :P. So I tried to find the problem outside. I held the mirror up and clicked a few blank pics and saw a particle inside. Now I must remove it. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
OH DEAR GOD! Do not touch the mirror!

Honestly, there is a Sensor Cleaning Mirror Up function for that.
The mirror is a front surface mirror and touching it without the utmost care can irreparably damage the surface.
I don't know how easily it can be put out of alignment, but I would try to refrain from moving it by hand, regardless.

FYI, the Sensor Cleaning Mirror Up function also locks open the shutter for the express purpose of cleaning the sensor.
You definitely do not want to touch the shutter curtains either.

03-18-2014, 07:30 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
OH DEAR GOD! Do not touch the mirror!

Honestly, there is a Sensor Cleaning Mirror Up function for that.
The mirror is a front surface mirror and touching it without the utmost care can irreparably damage the surface.
I don't know how easily it can be put out of alignment, but I would try to refrain from moving it by hand, regardless.

FYI, the Sensor Cleaning Mirror Up function also locks open the shutter for the express purpose of cleaning the sensor.
You definitely do not want to touch the shutter curtains either.
Yes, that is how I removed the particle in the end. I now feel bad for touching the back of the mirror. I didn't do anything to the surface.
03-19-2014, 02:51 PM   #21
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote

Should be easy to check. Take of the lens, put the camera in bulb mode, and take a picture with long enough exposure for you to take a look at the sensor.
Depending on whether you can see anything, try to get the sensor clean by blowing air on it (using one of those air-blower-cleaning-thingies - do NOT blow by yourself, you might make it worse by getting spittle on the sensor).

I had a similar line once and got it off this way (it was some kind of dust).

BR René
Honestly, two pages and no one mentions the dust alert function No need to expose the sensor. Just go to Dust Alert in wrench menu 4 point the lens to a blank space of wall and click the shutter, an image of the dust shows up on the screen.
Next step, use the Dust Removal function located just below to try shaking/vibrating the dust off. Recheck with the Dust Alert. Try that a couple of times. If that doesn't work go to the Sensor Cleaning function and with the open sensor pointing down blow the dust off with a blower thingy.
Three DSLRs and I haven't encountered the need to resort to a cleaning kit. Either I'm extra careful when changing lenses or I just don't use them enough
03-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #22
Pentaxian

ha! always forget about that. Anyone have good results with the dust alert function?
I usually end up not seeing the specs I need to clean. Although perhaps for something this big it would definitely show something.

Have to agree with the fact that i rarely need more than to use a blower. So the dust alert function is rarely needed to begin with. :-)
03-19-2014, 10:35 PM   #23
Site Supporter

I have found Dust Alert useful on several occasions when I've had stubborn specs show up on photos. They were visible on the screen and I was able to tell when I got rid of them.

Cheers