Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-15-2014, 11:31 AM   #1

Weird line on photos. Where's the problem?

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hi,

I have Pentax K-30 which I bought in Nov 2012 and it came with 18-55mm. I noticed that there is a weird line that is appearing now on photos. It is very annoying. To know what I am talking about, take a look at the attached pics. This appears with different lenses, so it is a problem with the cam. The line is not noticeable when the background is dark. I cannot believe I did not notice this in September of last year when these pics were taken. After I took some pics yesterday, I noticed them. Note that, the photo(not posted here) taken just before the first pic with the line was only a minute before it was taken. So possibility of something entering the cam or something like that.

I have bought a 3 year extended warranty with the cam, but I don't if this is a major problem or something that I can do and fix myself.

Thank you

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by kmhtax; 03-15-2014 at 11:42 AM. Reason: Added more clarity to the question
03-15-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Definitely something wrong with the sensor.

You might try to clean the sensor. Even though, this doesn't look like some dust specs, oil or something like that.

If I were you, I would just send the cam for repair. Isn't that what the warranty is for?
03-15-2014, 11:50 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A hair on the sensor?
03-15-2014, 11:56 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery
Definitively a hair, given its size, it should be visible to the naked eye. Try to start the sensor shaking sequence with the camera front directing to the ground, but given it's not the best thing to keep that kind of stuff, I'd recommend a real cleanup.

03-15-2014, 11:56 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filoxophy Quote
A hair on the sensor?
+1 on that, or dust or similar.

Should be easy to check. Take of the lens, put the camera in bulb mode, and take a picture with long enough exposure for you to take a look at the sensor.
Depending on whether you can see anything, try to get the sensor clean by blowing air on it (using one of those air-blower-cleaning-thingies - do NOT blow by yourself, you might make it worse by getting spittle on the sensor).

I had a similar line once and got it off this way (it was some kind of dust).

BR René
03-15-2014, 12:16 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
Should be easy to check. Take of the lens, put the camera in bulb mode, and take a picture with long enough exposure for you to take a look at the sensor.
NONONONONO DON'T DO THAT! You'll just get even more crap on your sensor. Use the Sensor Cleaning option in the menu.
03-15-2014, 12:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
NONONONONO DON'T DO THAT! You'll just get even more crap on your sensor...
I would say that depends on where you do it.
Goes without saying you shouldn't do it in your dusty basement, but maybe in a clean environment with clean tools...

03-15-2014, 12:40 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

HI

it is a hair, there is absolutely no doubt about it. It is so big you will see it with the naked eye. I would not use a blower, because of its size it will finish up somewhere else in the mirror chamber and cause other problems. Since you will be seeing it with your naked eyes Instead try to pick it up with the sticky Pentax lolly.

Pentax O-ICK1 for Image Sensor Cleaning Kit :: Cleaning accessories :: Cameras Accessories - eGlobaL Digital Cameras Online Store

or equally as good: K1BO NEW Camera CCD Cmos Optical Sensor Dust Cleaning KIT Jelly Cleaner PEN | eBay

You can also use a static sensorbrush;
Visible Dust Arctic Butterfly Sensor Brush Head 7139535 | eBay

My philosophy is to pick up dust (or hair as in you case) rather than blowing it around in the mirror chamber.

Don't be afraid it is an easy job

Greetings
03-15-2014, 12:41 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I removed the lens and looked inside just like that. Saw some scratch-like thingy (not sure what it is) on the mirror. Can I use a Zeiss lens cleaning cloth on the mirror? But the blemish doesn't look as the type that will come off by wiping. Haven't ventured into sensor cleaning yet since I got an error that battery isn't full enough for that procedure.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 5s  Photo 
03-15-2014, 12:54 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kmhtax Quote
Thanks a lot for your suggestions. I removed the lens and looked inside just like that. Saw some scratch-like thingy (not sure what it is) on the mirror. Can I use a Zeiss lens cleaning cloth on the mirror? But the blemish doesn't look as the type that will come off by wiping. Haven't ventured into sensor cleaning yet since I got an error that battery isn't full enough for that procedure.
In your photo it is not the sensor that you are seeing, it is the focusing screen.
03-15-2014, 12:55 PM   #11

Original Poster
Nevermind the previous post. I was afraid to look eye-to-eye with sensor :P. So I tried to find the problem outside. I held the mirror up and clicked a few blank pics and saw a particle inside. Now I must remove it. Thanks a lot for your suggestions.
03-15-2014, 02:30 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by wullemaha Quote
I would say that depends on where you do it.
Goes without saying you shouldn't do it in your dusty basement, but maybe in a clean environment with clean tools...
If you use a long exposure, the sensor is charged and attracts dust particles so you're inevitably just dirtying up the sensor even more. The Sensor Cleaning option turns the whole sensor off.
03-15-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I had a very similar hair in my camera, here's the thread , problem was fixed easily.
03-15-2014, 04:19 PM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by kmhtax Quote
Hi,

I have Pentax K-30 which I bought in Nov 2012 and it came with 18-55mm. I noticed that there is a weird line that is appearing now on photos. It is very annoying. To know what I am talking about, take a look at the attached pics. This appears with different lenses, so it is a problem with the cam. The line is not noticeable when the background is dark. I cannot believe I did not notice this in September of last year when these pics were taken. After I took some pics yesterday, I noticed them. Note that, the photo(not posted here) taken just before the first pic with the line was only a minute before it was taken. So possibility of something entering the cam or something like that.

I have bought a 3 year extended warranty with the cam, but I don't if this is a major problem or something that I can do and fix myself.

Thank you
I used a Promaster Hurricane Blower to remove a dust spot on my sensor. At least give it a try before sending it in. The price is certainly low enough.
03-15-2014, 04:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
If you use a long exposure, the sensor is charged and attracts dust particles so you're inevitably just dirtying up the sensor even more. The Sensor Cleaning option turns the whole sensor off.
Oh, ok! That's true.
Roger that!