Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-18-2014, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Old Ira Needs New Help with DSLR Cinematography & More

Hi, guys. Some of you might remember me as a frequent visitor to this forum.

The last few years haven't been real good to me financially and career-wise. It's been a B*TCH, but I'm still hanging on. Thank GOD for my wife, and kids, but unemployment at 57 ain't a pretty thing.

So I want to get back into photography to get my spirits up, and below is what I have in mind.

1) I still just have the k-x, and have no knowledge on the new bodies out there. For now, I'll work with the k-x, but I need advice on the bodies to upgrade to for what I want to do now. Don't really care about WR if that's a dollar deal-breaker.

2) As some of you know (and see my signature for gear list), I'm big into manual M42 lenses, and I don't see this love affair ending anytime soon.

3) I want to now get into DSLR cinematography. I understand the k-x movie mode with its LiveView overheats real fast, but that's not a problem for what I have in mind. I just want to shoot 30-second, 40-second clips and edit later.

4) Yesterday was the FIRST time I looked at the k-x manual to learn about movie mode, and I can see the options are extremely limited. I can set resolution/quality, sound on or off, and automatic or fixed aperture. Obviously, with my manual lenses, I'm choosing fixed--so what exactly does the camera change for proper exposure? Does it adjust ISO?

5) You can't apply a b&w filter to movie mode like you can with a still shot, but I want all of my upcoming shooting to result in monochrome. ("Nebraska" really turned me on!) I haven't even INVESTIGATED video editing software yet, which will do this conversion, but I DO know that it's usually best to capture for B&W in lens, so my next question is:

Although I'll be shooting in RGB, with the only purpose being a monochrome end use, can I or SHOULD I use Red, Green or Yellow filters as you would with B&W film for desired effect? LIke, use the green filter to lighten foliage, or does this mean nothing because it's digital RGB?

6) Thanks for your help and insights. Me and the family are going to DisneyWorld on Saturday for a full week, for like the 20th time, and I'm sick of shooting the same old stuff. I figure I would play with DSLR cinematography to make my shooting more interesting.

And to light a fire under my a** again.

03-18-2014, 07:53 AM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Damn fine seeing you again Ira... when I got active here, you were one of my role models ( don't mention that, a lot of people here will blame you for that , not give you credit) , I was just wondering what happened to you the other day, ... too bad you lost all your "likes"... as I recall you had over 200...
If you can find a K-01, I picked one up for around $300 and it's supposed to be a real movie machine... although i use mine for landscapes, where I'm perched on a cliff an it's easier ti see the Live View than it is to get your eye into the eye piece.

As for movies, I know nothing, I used to teach it but with dedicate cameras that record onto tape., In retirement, sitting in front of an editor for hours to make a 15 minute clip that people watch once then discard just isn't a way I like to spend my time.

Good luck in your efforts.
03-18-2014, 08:20 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I don't know if this is similar on the K-x, but on the K-5 II you can change the Picture Controls (Bright, Natural etc.). One of those should be BW.

PS I understand your financial problems extremely well. My dad is 50 now and unemployed. Good one for getting a job again .
03-18-2014, 08:25 AM   #4
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
Damn fine seeing you again Ira... when I got active here, you were one of my role models ( don't mention that, a lot of people here will blame you for that , not give you credit) , I was just wondering what happened to you the other day, ... too bad you lost all your "likes"... as I recall you had over 200...
If you can find a K-01, I picked one up for around $300 and it's supposed to be a real movie machine... although i use mine for landscapes, where I'm perched on a cliff an it's easier ti see the Live View than it is to get your eye into the eye piece.

As for movies, I know nothing, I used to teach it but with dedicate cameras that record onto tape., In retirement, sitting in front of an editor for hours to make a 15 minute clip that people watch once then discard just isn't a way I like to spend my time.

Good luck in your efforts.
WHAT'S HAPPENING!?

Thanks for the welcome back, and your nice words.

I'm still a Pentax guy through and through, and want to get into video to get my juices going again. Plus, with all my classic M42 lenses, I figure I can really get some nice feels to my clips.

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 08:27 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
I don't know if this is similar on the K-x, but on the K-5 II you can change the Picture Controls (Bright, Natural etc.). One of those should be BW.

PS I understand your financial problems extremely well. My dad is 50 now and unemployed. Good one for getting a job again .
You can't do anything for the movie mode in k-x at all. Are you sure those K-5 controls work for movie mode?

I'm more than ready to buy another body, even if it's used and not the latest and greatest.

03-18-2014, 09:07 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome back Ira. I thought the wife had done you in.

If video is your thing a K-30 or K-01 would be much better than the K-x or even the K-5/II/IIs.
03-18-2014, 09:18 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Are you sure those K-5 controls work for movie mode?
Yup. I never remember how they are called, might be Picture Styles... The JPEG processing settings.
03-18-2014, 09:25 AM   #7
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Welcome back Ira. I thought the wife had done you in.

If video is your thing a K-30 or K-01 would be much better than the K-x or even the K-5/II/IIs.
She did me in too, but that's besides the point.

So is the K-30 BEFORE the K-3, and when did the K-01 come into this? Is the K-01 still available new?

------------------------------------------

Edit: Okay--you can still get the 01, and I see it's mirrorless.

Does that mean I can view via the viewfinder, and don't have to use the monitor?

03-18-2014, 09:35 AM   #8
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Does that mean I can view via the viewfinder, and don't have to use the monitor?
There is no viewfinder on the K-01, just the rear LCD.
03-18-2014, 09:37 AM   #9
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Yup. I never remember how they are called, might be Picture Styles... The JPEG processing settings.
But movie mode isn't JPEG.

Can you shoot b&w movie mode with your K-5, or you never tried?

---------- Post added 03-18-14 at 09:41 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
There is no viewfinder on the K-01, just the rear LCD.
Duh....that makes sense.

No mirror.

Was this camera designed specifically for video, or are their still photo users who just want the LCD?
03-18-2014, 10:47 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

The last few years haven't been real good to me financially and career-wise. It's been a B*TCH, but I'm still hanging on. Thank GOD for my wife, and kids, but unemployment at 57 ain't a pretty thing.
Tell me about it. It is not any better at 58. (Am currently wrestling with that beast...)

Steve
03-18-2014, 11:09 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Can you shoot b&w movie mode with your K-5, or you never tried?
I can't remember shooting B&W specifically, but I know Bleach Bypass can be used. I might be talking out of my arse though and B&W isn't available there.
03-18-2014, 03:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Good to see you back, Ira. Trash doesn't move much so should make some interesting videos! :-)
03-18-2014, 09:44 PM   #13
Ira
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Good to see you back, Ira. Trash doesn't move much so should make some interesting videos! :-)
Ahhh...

I knew you would still be around!

Hope all is well with you and yours!
03-19-2014, 01:30 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Ahhh...

I knew you would still be around!

Hope all is well with you and yours!
Yup still around 2-3 posts a week. Look forward to seeing what you do with the video projects.
03-19-2014, 08:17 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arjay Bee Quote
Look forward to seeing what you do with the video projects.
+1, me too.