Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 02:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
But movie mode isn't JPEG.

Can you shoot b&w movie mode with your K-5, or you never tried?
I can shoot movies in B&W on my K-7. In Movie mode, I can press the right button on the 4 way controller and choose from the same 8 JPEG Custom Image settings, and adjust 7 parameters for those (including "Filter Effect"). The K-7 is cheap now, but think seriously about any high-ISO use. I go over ISO 1600 for less than 2% of my shots. I can't take a video to save my life so I have no relevant video advice.

03-19-2014, 02:26 PM   #17
Ira
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Still can't figure out how Movie mode works on the kx:

If I set my ISO at 200, select aperture in Movie settings at Fixed, use an old M42 Tak set at 5.6, what the hell is the camera doing to give me proper exposure? Is it changing the ISO? (And as I understand, once you pull the trigger on a clip you're shooting, it locks in your initial exposure--it doesn't change it on the fly as you're shooting.)

Or is the camera changing the shutter speed? And I can't understand how shutter speed has anything to do with video, although I suspect it does based on some reading I've done.

Help!

---------- Post added 03-19-14 at 02:30 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Just1MoreDave Quote
I can shoot movies in B&W on my K-7. In Movie mode, I can press the right button on the 4 way controller and choose from the same 8 JPEG Custom Image settings, and adjust 7 parameters for those (including "Filter Effect"). The K-7 is cheap now, but think seriously about any high-ISO use. I go over ISO 1600 for less than 2% of my shots. I can't take a video to save my life so I have no relevant video advice.
Okay, and thanks! Because unless I'm missing something, you can't do any of this shite on the kx.

And I'm a low ISO guy, so you don't have to sell me on that point!
03-19-2014, 04:06 PM - 1 Like   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
The main problem with the K-7, like the K-x & K-5, is that it uses motionJPEG. A used K-30 can be had for around $350, maybe less, and it uses the much more editor friendly H.264.
03-19-2014, 05:48 PM   #19
Pentaxian

I know nothing about movies, but welcome back. I thought you went belly up.

03-19-2014, 11:47 PM   #20
Veteran Member

Pretty sure it changes the ISO. I can't even set an ISO on my K-5 II, just get an error: "This function is unavailable."
The exposure time is hopefully locked at 1/60 or 1/50.
03-21-2014, 10:30 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I don't know if it helps, but you asked this earlier: I can film in B&W directly with my K-5 II. In fact, I can use all the JPEG presets, Bright, Normal, Portrait, Muted, the whole lot.
05-28-2014, 08:09 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Good to see you making a post, Ira. Hope things work out for you. I'm still on my K-x and takumars, too, but have to admit I'm plotting a way to get something like a Fuji xe2 or xt1 that would make focusing the takumars a lot easier.

I don't really have any advice on how to use your gear for videos. I've been using my phone to make my family videos, but I should give it a try. It would be interesting to see how the file sizes and quality compares. If the K-x really is in some obscure file format that my computer does not favor, then that will mean extra work and time, which I can't really afford.

Best wishes!
- Sam

---------- Post added 05-28-14 at 11:10 PM ----------

By the way, we just need Mike Cash to pop on by and it will feel like a high school reunion. :-)

05-30-2014, 07:59 PM   #23

QuoteOriginally posted by Ira Quote
Hi, guys. Some of you might remember me as a frequent visitor to this forum.

The last few years haven't been real good to me financially and career-wise. It's been a B*TCH, but I'm still hanging on. Thank GOD for my wife, and kids, but unemployment at 57 ain't a pretty thing.

So I want to get back into photography to get my spirits up, and below is what I have in mind.

1) I still just have the k-x, and have no knowledge on the new bodies out there. For now, I'll work with the k-x, but I need advice on the bodies to upgrade to for what I want to do now. Don't really care about WR if that's a dollar deal-breaker.

2) As some of you know (and see my signature for gear list), I'm big into manual M42 lenses, and I don't see this love affair ending anytime soon.

3) I want to now get into DSLR cinematography. I understand the k-x movie mode with its LiveView overheats real fast, but that's not a problem for what I have in mind. I just want to shoot 30-second, 40-second clips and edit later.

4) Yesterday was the FIRST time I looked at the k-x manual to learn about movie mode, and I can see the options are extremely limited. I can set resolution/quality, sound on or off, and automatic or fixed aperture. Obviously, with my manual lenses, I'm choosing fixed--so what exactly does the camera change for proper exposure? Does it adjust ISO?

5) You can't apply a b&w filter to movie mode like you can with a still shot, but I want all of my upcoming shooting to result in monochrome. ("Nebraska" really turned me on!) I haven't even INVESTIGATED video editing software yet, which will do this conversion, but I DO know that it's usually best to capture for B&W in lens, so my next question is:

Although I'll be shooting in RGB, with the only purpose being a monochrome end use, can I or SHOULD I use Red, Green or Yellow filters as you would with B&W film for desired effect? LIke, use the green filter to lighten foliage, or does this mean nothing because it's digital RGB?

6) Thanks for your help and insights. Me and the family are going to DisneyWorld on Saturday for a full week, for like the 20th time, and I'm sick of shooting the same old stuff. I figure I would play with DSLR cinematography to make my shooting more interesting.

And to light a fire under my a** again.
I am pleased to see you here again. Had a K-x, didn't use the movie feature at all. Have a K20D now.. no movie. Don't have much content, but welcome back.