Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-19-2014, 01:20 PM   #1
Forum Member

Is this haze

Sorry I am a fairly new to lens and photography so I don't have much experience in diagnosing defects.
I have had this Tamron 24mm BBAR MC Adaptall lens for a few months, but never got around to using it since I didn't have a PK adapter.
Now that I finally do have one, I notice that there is a major problem with the lens. Almost the entire frame is blurry or washed out except a small circle in the middle.
I do not see any signs of fungus only maybe some very light blue hazing on one of the inner lenses, but even then it seems mild. Looking through the lens with the naked eye it appears to be clear.
The only thing I is that the part of the circle that is clear in an image gets larger as I stop down the aperture.
Below are examples of what I am talking about.

F2.4

F3.2

F8

F13

F22

Any ideas?
Thanks for any tips!

03-19-2014, 01:27 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
The 24mm f2.5 isn't the sharpest lens, but it is definitely better than that wide open.

When looking for haze it is best to use a flashlight, preferably an incandescent one that isn't very bright. Sometimes you need to shine the light at an angle to make the haze visible.

Does the lens show any signs of being opened previously? It is possible someone installed an element backwards when reassembling it.
03-19-2014, 01:35 PM   #3
dms
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the earlier version of this lens and have the same problem. It is unusable! It looks fine (no haze,...) and I also was wondering if it might have been serviced and an element improperly replaced. The reviews for the lens suggest it should be much better.
03-19-2014, 01:59 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
The 24mm f2.5 isn't the sharpest lens, but it is definitely better than that wide open.

When looking for haze it is best to use a flashlight, preferably an incandescent one that isn't very bright. Sometimes you need to shine the light at an angle to make the haze visible.

Does the lens show any signs of being opened previously? It is possible someone installed an element backwards when reassembling it.

Using a flashlight did not reveal any haze. In fact it seems perfectly clear the lens, minus a few dust elements.

After looking at the metal ring mount that the adaptall fits onto I notice that it is held down by 3 screws. Two are silver and one is black. My other Tamron lens has three silver screws. I wonder if this is a sign that it has been opened....

03-19-2014, 02:07 PM   #5
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
After looking at the metal ring mount that the adaptall fits onto I notice that it is held down by 3 screws. Two are silver and one is black. My other Tamron lens has three silver screws. I wonder if this is a sign that it has been opened....
Either both of ours have been opened and this is a very strange coincidence, or that is the way they came.

Tamron 24mm f2.5 01B

03-19-2014, 02:30 PM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by elliott Quote
Either both of ours have been opened and this is a very strange coincidence, or that is the way they came.

Tamron 24mm f2.5 01B
I guess there goes my theory! The black screw on mine is in the exact same spot!
My Tamron 35-70 has three silver screws. I thought I was onto something......
03-19-2014, 02:53 PM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by gt6plus Quote
I guess there goes my theory! The black screw on mine is in the exact same spot!
My Tamron 35-70 has three silver screws. I thought I was onto something......
My similar vintage Tamron 28mm f2.5 02B and the much older 28mm f2.8 have all silver screws too. I'm assuming the screws are different lengths in the 24mm for some reason.

Looking at the optical design of it, it would be hard to reverse many of the elements since they are so close, if they were put in wrong they would interfere with each other.
03-19-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How about the aperture blades: Are the looking normal, dry and clean? (Sorry, darn difficult to photograph at night with flash):

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-19-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter

I'm baffled too!! None of my (extensive) adaptall collection is like this. My own 01B f2.4, f4, f5.6, f8, 100% crops off jpg's, pentax K-r:

EDIT: The only lens I had st similar going on proved to be a loose element (the second)
Attached Images

Last edited by marcusBMG; 03-19-2014 at 04:15 PM.
03-19-2014, 03:49 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Maybe I'm weird, but I find that effect really cool! F3.2 would look quite nice for portraits.
03-19-2014, 04:16 PM   #11
Site Supporter

see my edit.

Does the lens rattle (= loose element)?
edit: this could be due to an assembly eg rear assembly simply not screwed back in all the way
03-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Aperture blades are clean and clear and I don't hear any rattling. Everything seems to be screwed down tight.
Maybe I will have to take it apart someday. Right now I don't have any of the tools or experience.

VisualDarkness : I agree that the effect is kinda cool, but not my intended use so it is kinda frustrating.