Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-20-2014, 01:31 PM   #1

RAW+ verses RAW

I have just started to shoot with RAW instead of JPEG with my K3. I am wondering why I need to shoot RAW+? Why do I need the JPEG files if I am going to work with the RAW images?
Seems like adding the JPEG uses more memory and takes longer to write to the memory card.

Can someone enlighten me.

Thanks.

Steve

03-20-2014, 01:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No reason at all. Unless you do need them. Some people keep both so they can upload the jpeg immediately and process the RAW later if they want. Some people do it because for most images the jpeg might be good enough for the purpose, but shooting RAW+ allows further processing later if needed. You might also want both to load into LR to compare how the camera is processing things.

But there is no 'need' to shoot RAW+ unless you have a valid reason.
03-20-2014, 01:41 PM   #3
Site Supporter

There are several reasons why somebody might want to have both, though. It gives you a set of files which are faster to browse through. Especially looking at the pictures on a tablet you don't want only raw files. And some pictures might be usable as is without further processing.

But only you know if you need any of that. If you don't see a need, well, then you don't need the JPEGs

Edit: Yup, what jatrax said, basically...
03-20-2014, 01:44 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Bigdomino Quote
I have just started to shoot with RAW instead of JPEG with my K3. I am wondering why I need to shoot RAW+? Why do I need the JPEG files if I am going to work with the RAW images?
Seems like adding the JPEG uses more memory and takes longer to write to the memory card.

Can someone enlighten me.

Thanks.

Steve
When I use RAW+ instead of RAW:

When I want to shoot JPEG for quick upload etc (work, letting my friends take some pics, etc), but because I am absent-minded and may forget that I have it set in JPEG when I go out and take pictures that I want to edit. So I set it at RAW+ because I have 32GB SD card for my k-x. This way I can easily transfer out the jpeg shots and delete the RAW, but if I forget to reset the settings next time I go out - I don't lose the RAW files.

03-20-2014, 01:55 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I also use it when shooting images I intend to process as B&W. That way you get an idea of what it will look like. Even though the raw file will still be in color upon import to Lr, or whatever you use. I just discard the jpeg.
03-20-2014, 01:59 PM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great comments. I am wondering why everyone mentions LR? What about Aperture? I use it and think it works great.

Steve
03-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #7
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
LR is common, but most image processing programmes these days are very functional and pragmatic. Aperture and PS are my faves.
03-20-2014, 02:17 PM   #8

Original Poster
I switched from a pc to an IMAC and switched from Canon to Pentax. Also switched from PS Elements to Aperture. A lot of changes. I felt that the Aperture was a great fit
with the IMac. And Pentax was a big change from Canon. When I bought the Pentax I had originally planned on buying a Nikon D7100. Sure glad I made the change.

Steve

03-20-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

It's very handy if you're working with a wireless card like an eyefi. You can send the smallest size, lowest quality JPG to an iPad running ShutterSnitch and have it set up to notify you of blown out highlights, excess shadows, etc, as well as just giving you a much larger preview than you can see on the camera's screen.

Also if you're not using an iPad or whatever, but want to upload at least a jpg of your image somewhere, as you're taking it, in case something happens to your card (like someone forces you to wipe it because "you're not allowed to take pictures here [despite it being public property]" and so on.
03-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member

The JPGs can also be used for comparison when first starting to learn post-processing.
03-20-2014, 04:31 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by NicoleC Quote
The JPGs can also be used for comparison when first starting to learn post-processing.
This is why I am doing it. I'm just learning. Sometimes, I just process the jpg. Sometimes, I need the raw file.
03-20-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
Site Supporter

The only reason I can imagine is to send the photo immediately from the camera to someplace for some rough look. I can't think of where that place would be though.

Reasons not to use RAW+jpg:

You can "extract a jpg" from a whole card in under 2 minutes using the Pentax software to see the embedded jpg.

You can batch convert all the files (at a few seconds each).

FastStone Image Viewer, Screen Capture, Photo Resizer ... reads PEF files very quickly (about 6 times faster than the Pentax software - at least v4.3 I have) so chimping RAWs is easy, too.

Saves card space.

Less file handling, perhaps. I change the "imgp" to "yymmdd" format in a batch, but also manually add short descriptions to file names...
03-21-2014, 12:08 AM   #13
Veteran Member

To answer your question raw gives you the ability to start again with a digital negative. The JPEg image your camera produces can have a huge amount of in camera adjustments made to it that you have selected, while they might work and you are happy with the result on most if you have the raw file you can go back to a jpeg that you are unhappy with and reprocess it.